Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocating my Raspberry? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocating my Raspberry?

2»

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

I've already asked about the amps per hub, just waiting on the guy to reply.

This will also be the problem, but the hubs can be mounted on the side of the rack, it will just look a mess..

• Haven't you seen pictures of the custom mounts @William invented for the their raspberry PI colocation? Yes, it's a huge mess in my eyes :)

• Huh, i used a normal ATX PSU with 30A on the 5V lane - 2 for one board which has 48 RPIs which means more than 1A per RPI.

• @William still it's a big mess with all these cables :)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

@william got a part list, and you did this on boards instead of Lego?

Got a picture?

• @dot_txt said: nDeviX = http://www.ndevix.com

We are now offering ARM based dedicated servers, housed in our Kansas City facility.

Is this what I think it is?

• pcanpcan Member
    edited April 2013

I actually have a Rapsberry Pi in a server room; I use it as crude temperature sensor/alarm and network monitor. It works pretty well. I am now interested in eventually putting a Raspberry in a UK or USA datacenter, using it as remote backup and vpn server. To avoid international shipping fees that will surely be higher than the hardware itself (and delays), the service should ideally provide the option to buy the Rapsberry PI with a preloaded SD card. This option would be the same service offered by other special purpose colocations such as macminicolo.net.

I am still a little unconvinced because the standard debian (raspbian) distribution does not prevent the powering off of the device; this could happen by mistake, or if someone will issue a shutdown command after breaking in the server. Maybe there is a tweak to disable it, but I found none.

@william said: i used a normal ATX PSU with 30A on the 5V lane

I tried a similar approach on another embedded board that required 5V 8A. I found that standard PC PSUs aren't designed to supply load on +5v lane only; my board experienced spurious reboots. I kept swapping the PSU until I found by chance one that worked. A better solution would be an industrial +5v power supply, or taking the power from a disk drive cable of a standard server. The Rasperry Pi could also be powered from the GPIO connector using a conventional two conductor cable cut to the required lenght, this could be more practical than a tangle of commercial USB cables. The GPIO connector has no input protection fuse and no polarity reversal protection, so care should be taken when connecting the board.

• @pcan

Is NL possible? Pcextreme provides free colo and you can buy a pi trough them.

• pcanpcan Member

The Pcextreme offer is nice and still a viable option, but UK or USA would better fit my needs. Has anyone already tried the Pcextreme colocation?

• I ordered 2 pi's however not online yet.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

Wouldn't advise lego in a rack - bows and warps which could damage your PI

We do rPI colo - there are challenges as @KuJoe correctly lists, although we're looking at ways of providing remote power control rather than ticket & intelligent hands jobs for power cycle to them.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

@othellorob You could use a switched PDU and then a extension lead to IEC C13, which you can get 4 way ones for about a fiver.(Mini usb chargers would be better for this imho, there would only be one RPi per extension lead anyway).

Probably going to be the only way.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@jacob - already do remote power control for servers/devices etc through the raritan PDUs :)

Sadly that doesn't scale in a cost-effective manner to use an individual USB charger and cables/adapters/etc for rPi colo as the people that want it also want to pay £10/month ;)

Now if they used proper PoE network ports, it could easily be scripted ...