Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocating my Raspberry?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocating my Raspberry?

svensonsvenson Member
edited April 2013 in General

Good afternoon guys,
my Rasberry Pi will arrive in the next days.
I still don't know what I should do with it, perhaps a media server, backup server or colocate it.
But I like the idea to colocate it.
It's a pity that EDIS doesn't offer it anymore. Currently I've found only one provider for that (raspberrycolocation.com).
Has someone already colocated his RasPi with them? If so, what are your experiences with them?
How do I assign the IPv4 to my Pi? What happens if my Pi got a downtime? In which time can they help me? Is their support even free? And a very important question: How is the uptime of a Pi?

Comments

• I ordered 2 pis there. not ready yet. I will let you know however pcextreme is a trusted provider.

• Thank you @taronyu
    I hope I'll hear some good reviews, if not, I'll use my Pi for myself.

• I gave my pi to my Brother. i use my unused laptop now as media center.

• VPSSlim is offering it for 7,50eu in Severius (Dronten - NL)

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

We indeed do offer the colocation. If you need some info just send us a PM or e-mail :)

• Any US DC's have offers on Raspberry Pi colocation?

• @svenson said: It's a pity that EDIS doesn't offer it anymore.

http://www.edis.at/de/server/colocation/oesterreich/raspberrypi/

It looks like they do...

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Rallias said: It looks like they do...

Out of stock.

• svensonsvenson Member
    edited April 2013

@Rallias said: It looks like they do...

@William said they don't offer it anymore (http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2641/we-colo-your-rpi-for-free) :'(

Can somebody tell me about Fusa or VPSSlim? Experiences, support, uptime and their network?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

I've offered to colo a few in our Tampa location but I'll be moving to another state in 2 weeks so I might offer it in Denver when we get our cabinet there. There are a lot of obstacles with colocating a RPi but some of them can be overcome with some special hardware, some cannot.

Reboots - Remote hands is the easiest method. Alternatively you can look into a smart USB hub to pull the power but this requires special hardware and programing last I checked.

Reinstalls - Remote hands again is the easiest way unless RPi support PXE booting and even then the install is completely scripted for all RPis on the network.

Repair - This isn't like a normal server where you can switch out parts, if it breaks you're stuck waiting for the client to order and mail another one out and then remote hands gets involved again.

Racking - Best method I have seen is using LEGOs. This is what I'll be doing for my RPis whenever I decide to order them.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2013

here is, that @Kujoe, your solution

• also http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton.htm

supercomputer with raspberry pi, and nice rackable method

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Would anyone want to colo their RPI in the UK?

• Dorks and their freaking legos.... They won't rack mount with legos. Neat though.

I'd expect a university level build to go bother industrial designers and physical engineers around campus about cobbling real enclosure solutions.

There has been and remains a need for rackable enclosures to handle small form factor devices and allow easy swapping of components, boards, etc.

As-is implementations like these are awfully inadequate for racking, high density, admin hands on, etc.

RPI's are capable little machines for small non computational based issues and where disk IO isn't high. Surprised no one has tapped the market for racking. No clue how the companies doing colo of these are dealing with other folks units. Has to be a real problem.

• @Jacob
    I am. The Raspberry Pi Model B is consuming 750mA on 5 V. Should be around 6€ per year for power consumption. So it is all about place and bandwith. I just love this little lowend pc.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Ah right cool, I'll update you when I have some time, it'll probably be next month.

Tbh, I just like the idea of building with lego to make a base for these, it will be pretty fun. :-)

• @Jacob said: Would anyone want to colo their RPI in the UK?

for free?

i would like to, but i dont have one. =)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

@dedicados It would be something like £5 for 100Mbit uplink, and 500GB-1TB Bandwidth and IPv4.

I worked it out and around 100 can fit in 1A.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2013

monthly?

just curious, what to do with a raspberry on a 100mbps, is a lot.

• JacobJacob Member

Idk, anything is possible I guess. I don't have one but I'll have to order one anyways for the measurements.

£5/pcm

• We are thinking about doing RPi colo too in our Kansas City location (USA). We built some custom racking methods for these little guys, and have some extra space availiable. Maybe $5 USD/month?

• Who are you representing?

• Looking to the transfer rate of a SD card it would be enough to have:

• 10 Mbit link
    • 200 GB Traffic
    • IPv6 only

Open items:

• What about USB sticks attached to a raspberry?

@Jacob
    What does "pcm" mean?

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

pcm means per calendar month :)

• JacobJacob Member

@wlanboy I was thinking usb hubs as we use shelves in the racks, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Would have to ship your own SD card or USB stick, but I'll ship some onsite aswell.

Do all RPi's power by USB?

• Yes however the connection is a Mini USB.

• JacobJacob Member

@taronyu Yeah, no problem. 10 way mains extension cable, and 10 port mini usb hubs. Coming soon ©

• nice! dont Need it myself anymore tough.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Jacob said: and 10 port mini usb hubs

This won't fly, the R Pi is extremely picky about the power supply quality, and you can't realistically power ten of them from one hub. For starters, such a "hub" would itself need to be powered, and from about a 10A PSU. Have you seen a lot of USB hubs coming with 10A 5V PSUs?