Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Godaddy/sopa
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Godaddy/sopa

edited December 2011 in General

Which providers domains are with godaddy thus supporting sopa?
Just wondering?

Comments

• I don't care. Sopa digs its own grave by making existing free (as speech), secure, anonymous p2p networks develop and new ones appear. We cannot stop people like those with words - they'll always exist. Let technology do it.
    Also, I don't live in America. Don't like its laws? Move from there to liberal Sweden or Netherlands. Or Russia (where downloading is not a felony).

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r netpioneer
  • +1 on what breton said.

If it's a concern to a person about their domain registrar supporting SOPA, they should probably do their own research on it, and keep LET witch hunt free.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited December 2011

@breton said: Russia (where downloading is not a felony).

and vodka is your colony. :P

• This will affect all of us dont be so stupid.
    Main issue is the ICANN which is in United States. They are the sole registrar for all web domains. Since US laws apply to them, they can potentially shut down websites even if they are not US based sites.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Wait, ICANN controls Nominet?

• @Infinity said: Wait, ICANN controls Nominet?

Not 100% sure.

• jhjh Member

Nominet controlls everything above .uk and ICANN controlls .uk I think

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @net said: Since US laws apply to them, they can potentially shut down websites even if they are not US based sites.

Well they can shut down domain NAMES, not websites!
    At worst you will have to type the IP of blocked websites into your browser, at best people will just set up alternative DNS servers that also resolve blocked hostnames

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited December 2011

What would stop someone from using a public DNS server in another country?

• Very true most of the points raised. Would be interesting if someone came up with a alternative system.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2011

no, they stopped publicly supporting it.

You better believe that they're still very much supporting it off the record :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2jamson Xeoncross
  • NickMNickM Member
    edited December 2011

@BeyondAllKnowledge said: GoDaddy stopped supporting SOPA.

So? It's deplorable that they supported it to begin with - they should have been smart enough to realize that it was bad for the Internet. Their entire press release recanting their support sounds like "Oh no, please, please don't leave us, don't go. We dun goof'd. We never should have told anyone that we support SOPA. We promise we don't really support it. Pleeeease come back."

Anyways, there's plenty more reasons to avoid GoDaddy, such as Bob Parson's being an elephant killer.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @NickM said: Anyways, there's plenty more reasons to avoid GoDaddy, such as Bob Parson's being an elephant killer.

Meh, he's rich. Rich people do weird things to get their thrills... Besides why boycott a company just because the CEO's personal life is a bit off?
    Try proper reasons, such as trying to upsell you 100 times before your purchase.
    Tried ordering a domain on their last $0.99 deal, by the 3rd step I got sick of it and just closed the site.

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited December 2011

@gsrdgrdghd said: Well they can shut down domain NAMES, not websites!

At worst you will have to type the IP of blocked websites into your browser, at best people will just set up alternative DNS servers that also resolve blocked hostnames

SOPA's author, Rep. Lamar Smith, a conservative Texan who has become Hollywood's favorite Republican, anticipated that savvy programmers would find a way around these virtual roadblocks. So Smith inserted language in SOPA (PDF) -- it's not in the Senate's similar Protect IP bill -- allowing anyone who knowingly and willfully distributes "circumvention" software to be forced to remove it

• @justinb said: allowing anyone who knowingly and willfully distributes "circumvention" software to be forced to remove it

Wait, wat?
    Like when they put domain name blocks, wouldn't any DNS server be a "circumvention" software"?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Like when they put domain name blocks, wouldn't any DNS server be a "circumvention" software"?

Yes. Using non-ISP DNS servers can result in ...stuff, along with any site providing ways to get around it by using free DNS servers from where

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

@Infinity said: Wait, ICANN controls Nominet?

Of course not. ccTLDs are controlled by each country government institutions. Nominet is UK's naming body which manage domain according to local policies not some ICANN.

@net said: Main issue is the ICANN which is in United States. They are the sole registrar for all web domains. Since US laws apply to them, they can potentially shut down websites even if they are not US based sites.

Huh? :) US laws DO NOT apply to them. Some ICANN-accredited registrars from States provide registration services in the ccTLDs but that's different thing. ICANN can control only gTLDs.

• @spirit in reference to .net/com/org.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

Ok, regarding generic TLDs you're correct, but I see some talking about nominet/uk top level domain under ICANN rule (which don't exist in case of country code TLDs) that's why I explained.

• The problem is that ICANT controls (well, oversees) the top level root servers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_name_server#Root_server_supervision

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@net said: Which providers domains are with godaddy thus supporting sopa?

So if I had a domain at GoDaddy then I support SOPA? I personally only use Namecheap, but I don't see how using GoDaddy automatically means supporting SOPA.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If bittorrent has shown us anything, is that a new technology can be rolled out in mere years to completely change the internet. If some of the major torrent players (utorrent, etc) banded together to push a very large SSL only internet setup, it'd go.

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2011

@Francisco said: If some of the major torrent players (utorrent, etc) banded together to push a very large SSL only internet setup, it'd go.

SSL as in Secure Socket Layers? Would it be similar to what I said here?

• I stopped registering my domains with GoDaddy and moved them to NameCheap when they killed that poor elephant.

• ENOM is king.

Our domain is with godaddy ... but we are working on transferring our whole portfolio to ENOM. Don't really know why we were not using them in the first place because we paid a good bit for a reseller account there.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

@BassHost said: ENOM is king.

I used to think the same until they started registering similar domains as my own and ones with different tld's and offering them to me.

What was even more sad was I thought highly of their support and we all know how important that is to me.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: The problem is that ICANT controls (well, oversees) the top level root servers:

That's true but what can they do in this case? Disconnect .nl from internet?

On a serious note - if this will be ever touched in a favour of one country against others world would have much bigger problem than SOPA. Technically it's posible but I doubt that States would go that far as ICANN (US role in internet) is even without incidents under constant fire of foreign governments, united nations, etc..

• @Spirit said: That's true but what can they do in this case? Disconnect .nl from internet?

Who knows. They're letting the FBI seize domains without due process so....