Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is doing this fair game? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is doing this fair game?

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, I think I'm going to settle on: Sure, fair game, but you're being an intentional twat and that's probably not the right footing to start out on. It's the provider's responsibility to have proper access controls, but don't be surprised if you are shown the door.

• Sometimes we get so caught up in the semantics of things that we forget we're essentially just conducting a simple transaction of goods and services like humans have done for thousands of years.

WHMCS is just an efficient way of negotiating the terms of the transaction. It saves the seller from telling everyone individually on what he/she has to offer. You can find any secret plans or whatever, ultimately if the seller isn't offering that, you can't expect him/her to honor that.

The consumer protection laws only kick in if the seller is advertising an offer and isn't honoring it, and a secret plan is not an advertised plan.

Thanked by 1Microlinux
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Zen said: Not only is it not fair game, but you're getting started with your chosen provider by generating an additional work load for them, from the providers point of view I would expect this annoyance would be the equivalent of a customer opening multiple tickets on a Sunday at 2AM 5 minutes after ordering, asking how long it'll take for your order to be processed.

Provider lives matter.

• 'Busy day today?'

'Yeah, mad one'

'What did you get up to?'

'Decided to visit a bunch of websites of hosting providers, find an item in their WHCMS, then increment a parameter value by one each time until I found something that looked good, then bought 40 of them.'

'What?'

• Let's visit the retail store analogy again. Lots of stores keep things on the premises that are not for sale at this time. Where else should they keep them? The fact that you can look around and find them is neither here nor there. There is an accepted protocol for how a vendor shows something to be for sale. The open box on the counter with a price tag is for sale. The closed box behind the counter is not - although it's OK to ask. People aren't confused by this. Everybody knows how it works.

Except you.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    Let's visit the retail store analogy again. Lots of stores keep things on the premises that are not for sale at this time. Where else should they keep them? The fact that you can look around and find them is neither here nor there. There is an accepted protocol for how a vendor shows something to be for sale. The open box on the counter with a price tag is for sale. The closed box behind the counter is not - although it's OK to ask.

If a customer asks (with a URL) for the closed box (non-listed offer), why would the clerk (system) start the purchasing and billing process?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You're my hero, @Oliver.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Oliver
  • @Anon111234 said:
    If a customer asks (with a URL) for the closed box (non-listed offer), why would the clerk (system) start the purchasing and billing process?

Because the prick who wanted it slapped on a bar code he pulled from another item and modified it slightly. Once the problem is detected, though, it should come as no surprise that not only don't they get to buy the item that was never offered for sale, but they might also be banned from the store for trying to defraud them.

Sheesh. The lengths that some people will go to trying to justify dickish behavior . . .

• I'm just commenting on the store analogy, please don't drag me into any moral outrages.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • If you have to wonder if something insane is for sale, you have to ask the provider before hitting 'Checkout'.

• It's a fair game to play, but it's also fair if the other party chooses not to play with you on this game, or any other game for that matter.