Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1gbps speed result - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1gbps speed result

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@picy said: This is what the speed i got on 100mbps too

Nope, Dallas has 44 MB, that cannot happen on an 100 mbps port.

• picypicy Member

@Maounique said: Nope, Dallas has 44 MB, that cannot happen on an 100 mbps port.

Thats the download speed right? So why the upload speeds are too low.

The port is usually symmetric. The port speed is not the same with the link speed, for example the host may share the same 1 gbps internet speed in a switch distributing it to more 1 gbps speed ports.
    The port is still 1 gbps but will not always go 1 gbps because the linkto the internet is saturated.
    It does not look like a dedicated full 1 gbps port, it probably cant be at that price.

• picypicy Member

@Maounique Thanks for the explanation.

• If this is a dedicated server why is the CPU only at 160mhz instead of 3.4. CPU speed installed?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@BenND said: If this is a dedicated server why is the CPU only at 160mhz instead of 3.4. CPU speed installed?

SpeedStep enabled?

• jkr1711jkr1711 Member
    edited April 2013

@picy Unrelated, Disk I/O is pretty dire

• @Patrick
    I meant 1600Mhz, I believe its CPUSpeed

service cpuspeed stop

on CentOS

@BenND said: service cpuspeed stop

Why ? Let it save some energy if not needed :(

• MunMun Member

isn't 1 Gbps actually 1024 Mbps?

• @Mun said: isn't 1 Gbps actually 1024 Mbps?

Nope, that's for MiB, this is Mbit ;-)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@picy I'm guessing based on your machine name that you are with ServerMania.

I can say that my speeds are near yours too and I'm somewhat disappointed that I can only reach true Gbit once in a while.

• It all depends on network, routing, traffic congestion etc.
    Just because you have two 1Gbit servers, it doesn't mean you'll get 1Gbit speeds between them, even if they're dedicated ports.

• DvoDvo Veteran

That's not guaranteed. 40 servers per rack with only 2 Gbps feeding the rack equals 50 Mbps guaranteed (38 Gbps short of guaranteed). With 10 TB, your looking at 33~ Mbps actual usage. 33 < 50 Mbps, so you have a little headroom.

There is a big difference (mostly cost) between a 1 Gbps port, the ability to burst UP TO 1 Gbps and a 1 Gbps CiR where you'd have the ability to use that 1 Gbps whenever. For under $150/mo, you don't have a 1 Gbps CiR.

• RyanDRyanD Member

Keep in mind in that particular network you are also forced out one carrier or another, regardless of any other metric, based upon the ODD or EVEN # of the other side's IP so asymetrical forced-path routing can also contribute to relatively poor transfer speeds if one path is significantly different than the other.

Latency is a direct factor in transfer speeds. Infact, it's mathematical!

An easy explination:
    http://bradhedlund.com/2008/12/19/how-to-calculate-tcp-throughput-for-long-distance-links/

• @picy said: This is what the speed i got on 100mbps too. Then whats the difference between 100mbps and 1gbps?

marketing

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@peppr said: marketing

Yep. Just like the difference between 500gb and 1TB hard drives. It's a conspiracy by the pharmaceutical companies.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jarland said: It's a conspiracy by the pharmaceutical companies.

hahahahaha

• @peppr said: marketing

Haha.

No.

• @jarland said: @peppr said: marketing

Yep. Just like the difference between 500gb and 1TB hard drives. It's a conspiracy by the pharmaceutical companies.

hahah :thumbsup: :)

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited April 2013

@RyanD - Is that how equal share on a network switch works?