Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence

2»

Comments

• rm_ said: I run my own mail server, and I don't scan my emails for NSA.

>

Are all of your recipients hosted on your own email server?

• TheKiller said: Let me know which provider doesn't scan emails for NSA.

me

• emgemg Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    In the 1990s, the cypherpunk movement worked very hard to write the code and tools so that people could have encrypted email.

No one used it. Today, at best, your email is encrypted on its way to a server, but is stored in plain text once there.

Email has got to be the worst freakin' collection of protocols ever written. Spam, government surveillance, spoofing...is there anything that email does right?

No arguments with anything you said. And yet, there are people who still use email encryption, including holdouts like me and certain sectors of the government.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

Email has got to be the worst freakin' collection of protocols ever written. Spam, government surveillance, spoofing...is there anything that email does right?

34 yr old protocol; patching and "improving" it ever since. I'd say its well past time for Email 2.0 but no one seems to be doing anything. Won't make much of a difference anyway unless the old protocols are forcefully phased out.

Pavin Joseph.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

All the more reason to use client side PGP and private email servers from a dedicated email host who values privacy ;)

• mailcheap said: 34 yr old protocol; patching and "improving" it ever since. I'd say its well past time for Email 2.0 but no one seems to be doing anything. Won't make much of a difference anyway unless the old protocols are forcefully phased out.

A lot of work is being done on email:

1. Google has an API for accessing Gmail which many clients implement
    2. Newton (previously CloudMagic) is proxying email for you
    3. Nylas has an OSS sync engine which you can run on a VPS that delivers email to the Nylas client "better" than traditional protocols
    4. JSON Mail Access Protocol Specification: jmap.io sponsored by the folks at FastMail

Just not all the work is in the spirit of "open protocol" like in the golden, pre-Boom days. . .