Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reuters: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence

Comments

• Who?

• A once Internet giant flushed down the toilet by a string of incompetent CEOs . . .

Thanked by 3GCat Pwner vimalware
  • @Microlinux said:
    A once Internet giant flushed down the toilet by a string of incompetent CEOs . . .

Thanked by 2fxf vimalware
  • @GCat said:

@Microlinux said:
    A once Internet giant flushed down the toilet by a string of incompetent CEOs . . .

crabby meme, ban /thread

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Microlinux said: A once Internet giant flushed down the toilet by a string of incompetent CEOs . . .

I notice you said "Internet giant" and not "Internet great".

Yahoo may have been big once, but was never great. It was never more than a directory and a second-tier search engine. Both were choked by hideous ads and fake headlines and every time I went to Yahoo, I felt like I'd walked into a shady car stereo sales place.

Thanked by 2Damian emg
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited October 2016

@raindog308 said:
    I notice you said "Internet giant" and not "Internet great".

Yahoo may have been big once, but was never great. It was never more than a directory and a second-tier search engine. Both were choked by hideous ads and fake headlines and every time I went to Yahoo, I felt like I'd walked into a shady car stereo sales place.

Great is not a word I'd personally use to describe Yahoo. They used to be much more relevant however. Had it not been for terrible management, I feel like they could still exist on their own.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Wait this was a secret from who exactly? Please don't tell me you don't think Google doesn't scan e-mails also.

• KuJoe said: Wait this was a secret from who exactly? Please don't tell me you don't think Google doesn't scan e-mails also.

The point is not whether they're scanning or not. From Ars article:

This seems to be the first known case of an American Internet company acting on behalf of the government to search messages in near real time

Google always acts on behalf of themselves.

• fxffxf Member

@KuJoe said:
    Wait this was a secret from who exactly? Please don't tell me you don't think Google doesn't scan e-mails also.

only to deliver you more appropriate advertising

• We all know these large companies in the US scan our email. This is why even though I have a legacy google apps account I have a private email server in an offshore datacenter.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Ole_Juul said:

KuJoe said: Wait this was a secret from who exactly? Please don't tell me you don't think Google doesn't scan e-mails also.

The point is not whether they're scanning or not. From Ars article:

This seems to be the first known case of an American Internet company acting on behalf of the government to search messages in near real time

Google always acts on behalf of themselves.

First KNOWN case. If the NSA is worth a damn they'll be using the same known loopholes with Google that they use on other e-mail providers to get e-mails without a warrant.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Let me know which provider doesn't scan emails for NSA.

Thanked by 2racksx Pwner
  • Wonder when Stamos moves out of FB.

We now have precedent and can speculate when it happens. heh

• @HMOB said:
    We all know these large companies in the US scan our email. This is why even though I have a legacy google apps account I have a private email server in an offshore datacenter.

Why? If you have nothing to hide what are you worried about?

• If NSA had an agreement with yahoo, there are for sure similar agreements with Google and MS (outlook). There is not even one chance that a government agency choose especially a mid-sized (nowadays) email provider only, and did not knock the door to the others. (And we all know that Google and MS are not super-ethical to deny government demands and/or respect privacy and customer rights).

• @HMOB said:
    We all know these large companies in the US scan our email. This is why even though I have a legacy google apps account I have a private email server in an offshore datacenter.

Does you no good unless the sender has one too.

• emgemg Veteran

Apple, Google, and Microsoft have denied having a program similar to what has been reported about Yahoo. Whether their statements are true fact, careful wordsmithing to hide the actual truth, or bold-face lies I leave to you, the reader.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/10/04/2252242/apple-google-microsoft-we-have-no-government-email-scanning-program-like-yahoos

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited October 2016

@HMOB said: We all know these large companies in the US scan our email. This is why even though I have a legacy google apps account I have a private email server in an offshore datacenter.

moonmartin said: Why? If you have nothing to hide what are you worried about?

I tend to have the same "nothing to hide" mentality - but automated, anonymous scanning for specific phrases seems like it could cast a wide net and expose a lot of irrelevant, personal emails.

When the police search you or your home, you 1) know they are doing it and 2) know what they are seeing.

With emails being used to replace direct conversations, and the "permanent" nature of such communication (how many people delete emails?), this is a bit different I think.

• @moonmartin said:

@HMOB said:

Why? If you have nothing to hide what are you worried about?

I have npthing to hide, but why do I want people to snoop my emails, plus I like the ability to control my server. Having used my own sever for years, I have learned a lot and have taken courses just for managing Windows Servers with Exchange and Zimbra Servers.

• ScienceOnlineScienceOnline Member
    edited October 2016

This is what happens if you don't host your email with jarland

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2016

TheKiller said: Let me know which provider doesn't scan emails for NSA.

I run my own mail server, and I don't scan my emails for NSA.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

In the 1990s, the cypherpunk movement worked very hard to write the code and tools so that people could have encrypted email.

No one used it. Today, at best, your email is encrypted on its way to a server, but is stored in plain text once there.

Email has got to be the worst freakin' collection of protocols ever written. Spam, government surveillance, spoofing...is there anything that email does right?

• Maybe Moxie will do a Signal for email.

edited October 2016

raindog308 said: is there anything that email does right?

Interoperability. People from Gmail can contact someone using Hotmail, someone who runs their own server can mail people on some University .edu mail, etc. And now try messaging from Facebook to someone who only uses Twitter, or calling a Skype user from your Whatsapp.

• It's not a secret everyone know that Yahoo, Google, Facebook, Microsoft and all other big names are spying on us for NSA and other USA's agencies

• The news articles are ridiculously vague with details. Anyone seen an article with any actual details?

• Funny thing is that when you log in to yahoo mail, the first prompt you see is "secure your account" for enabling two-sector authentication!

Thanked by 2Rami Pwner
  • rm_ said: Interoperability. People from Gmail can contact someone using Hotmail, someone who runs their own server can mail people on some University .edu mail, etc. And now try messaging from Facebook to someone who only uses Twitter, or calling a Skype user from your Whatsapp.

I get your point, but still think the era of email interoperability is fading. I see more and more email that requires extra software to operate. Many of them are no longer text.

Ole_Juul said: I see more and more email that requires extra software to operate. Many of them are no longer text.

Point is, no matter which E-Mail provider you and your contacts use, you can still exchange messages or files (even if those files require additional software to view or edit). That's not going away, not until E-Mail goes away entirely, which isn't happening either.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2016

rm_ said: Point is, no matter which E-Mail provider you and your contacts use, you can still exchange messages or files (even if those files require additional software to view or edit). That's not going away, not until E-Mail goes away entirely, which isn't happening either.

This. Email is not going anywhere, because it is the new standard for communication between people, enterprises, organizations. And when an email provider is putting so much strict rules to allow a mail accessing his client's mailbox, then, if the client looses important mails because of that, he will stop using the service from this company and will move to another. So, the provider cannot block access to other email providers easily, because he will loose his clients (outlook has lost a lot of customers because of the insane MS policies on receiving mails).