Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is installing WindowsXP on Linux VPS allowed? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is installing WindowsXP on Linux VPS allowed?

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ReactOS sucked last year when i last tested it, nothing was really working.
    Did it improve some ?
    Regarding abuse with windows on OVZ, we dont forbid it, but it depends on your windows skills. Some installs really hog CPU/disk. If anything, give it a lot of ram and try disabling swap.
    Trying to run it on 128 RAM OVZ will probably fail, but even if it is succeeding, it will hog the disk/cpu too badly to be allowed.
    I think at least 1 GB ram is needed and allow at least 256 MB for win, even if 98, while 512 would be in order for XP. Minimal installs will also be a good idea with non-essential services disabled.
    It will certainly run in less, but it wont be happy and neither will be your host.

• aiuraiur Member

@Maounique said: but it wont be happy and neither will be your host.

Haha, the provider won't be happy. Thanks for your point :)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

ReactOS sucked last year when i last tested it,

it was completely unusable when i tested it, but that was probably 3 years ago

Some installs really hog CPU/disk

...and there are some openvz hosts who consider a steady load of 1.00 (on a plan with 4 cores) to be excessive. Case in point..the 5GB offer on LEB's front page from LetBox:

We do allow push 18 to 20% of CPU 24/7 and 1:00 to 1:99 load average all the day.

5 minutes later, he corrected himself to lower the load

Sorry load average is 1:00

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We have ppl going over 4 all the time (4 cores plan), only hear from me when they go over 10 for hours.
    Still, the average load is well below 50%, so i wonder...

• @Maounique said: We have ppl going over 4 all the time (4 cores plan), only hear from me when they go over 10 for hours.

Still, the average load is well below 50%, so i wonder...

Yeah, my VPSes with RamNode spike above 4 cores during gaming peaks and unless it is prolonged or extremely high load I never have an issue with them.