Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is installing WindowsXP on Linux VPS allowed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is installing WindowsXP on Linux VPS allowed?

aiuraiur Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hi, I have several Linux based VPS. I tried some low end Windows VPS provider, most of them provide Windows Server 2008 or even 2010, but apparently I don't need such advanced OS, I only want WindowsXP to run some very basic exe files for personal use.

I figured out I can install WindowsXP through Qeum, a processor emulator, http://wiki.qemu.org/Main_Page.

Would this be allowed?

Thanks!

Thanked by 1guitarfire

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

That is a weird way to do it but is used for OVZ vpses which cannot do that otherwise.
    Many KVM providers offer Windows templates for larger VPSes, some even for the tiniest of them, check your provider before using QEMU anyway as it may be forbidden.

• In OpenVz containers it is mostly forbidden.
    Rest Maounique said.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

havent seen the tos forbidding qemu, but maybe for using a lot the hdd and cpu

@netomx said: maybe for using a lot the hdd and cpu

It does that, it is a full virtualization, emulates everything in the CPU without even using the extensions i think.

• Can I use QEMU in an overzzzold vps? :P

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

Can I use QEMU in an overzzzold vps? :P

Please say yes! QEMU supports Merlin!

http://sites.mpc.com.br/ric/qemu/

uh oh, step3 could be a problem: 03 - Create the installation floppies

Is not forbidden, but... That would mean being a dick of sorts :D

• @DomainBop said: Please say yes!

So, this will be Linux -> Windows -> Qemu? XDDD

@DomainBop said: 03 - Create the installation floppies

no problem at all

@yomero said: So, this will be Linux -> Windows -> Qemu? XDDD

or vps->winxp->qemu to: win98-win95-win3.11

like the inception

@netomx said: like the inception

Except speed will go the opposite side, slower and slower and slower.

@Maounique said: Except speed will go the opposite side, slower and slower and slower.

well, who needs speed nowadays?

• Why not using just wine if your windows exe files are compatible ?

edited April 2013

@imperio said: Why not using just wine

Becoz isnt fun to do what everyone does... QEMU in a ramdisk on OVZ, though, very few ppl can say they did :D
    Prometeus low end spirit is different, but it is still there.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013

Yeah people can fly :D

@Maounique said: Becoz isnt fun to do what everyone does...

+9000+

• xNEOxNEO Member

I suggest you just buy a Kvm box and install whatever you want, dude :P

• So, this will be Linux -> Windows -> Qemu? XDDD

Linux -> QEMU > OS/2 Warp > Windows 3.1 programs running full screen in OS/2 =being a dick of sorts

• aiuraiur Member

thanks for your comments.
    Give you some stats, I opened 1 windows xp with qeum, allotted 128mb ram to it, and the qeum process takes up to >400mb...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

No reason at all not to use QEMU in OpenVZ if that is what you want to do, you are paying for the RAM so you should be able to use it, any provider that forbids it is being a dick IMO.

Sure if it is using an unfair amount of CPU or DISK IO then you will end up being shut down no doubt but that is the same for apache/mysql or anything else that is never even questioned.

Someone should throw up a guide.

• @AnthonySmith said: No reason at all not to use QEMU in OpenVZ if that is what you want to do, you are paying for the RAM so you should be able to use it, any provider that forbids it is being a dick IMO.

Sure if it is using an unfair amount of CPU or DISK IO then you will end up being shut down no doubt but that is the same for apache/mysql or anything else that is never even questioned.

Someone should throw up a guide.

+1 If it starts hurting other customers then I can see an issue but otherwise it should be fine

• aiuraiur Member
    edited April 2013

Cool!
    Just find in URPAD's TOS, "Utilizing QEMU to run Windows on OPenVZ is prohibited."
    They are so fast to add everything they found in this forum into their TOS, right?

• aiuraiur Member

IMO, installing WindowsXP, Win98 with QEMU to run some simple functions is no problem at all, since it requires less than 500mb ram, and limited CPU usage. If I have the guaranteed ram, for sure I can use it, right?
    If some guys are trying to install Windows Server and equip with SQL, ASP and etc, that could be a problem.
    I'm very careful, I would ask my provider before using it. Since I don't believe most hosting guys would have enough patience to listen to you :)

• IntcsIntcs Member

@aiur said: Just find in URPAD's TOS, "Utilizing QEMU to run Windows on OPenVZ is prohibited."

Lol, updated: "Making fun of this term/other terms of TOS in discussion boards is strictly, strictly prohibited." :p

I think XP installations differs much from each other, in I/O, RAM and CPU usage, like:

• Running antivirus or not? running firewall or not?
    • Any programs in the background?
    • Original, or optimized install? since some optimized versions can run on even 256 mb
    • What updates? since generally the more installed the heavier it's, bute more secure, compatible and bug free or otherwise I'd recommend XP with >SP1 updates, very light on resources, but lacks a lot nowadays if you wanted to install anything.

@aiur said: "Utilizing QEMU to run Windows on OPenVZ is prohibited."

Because they would be rubber ducked if most people actually used the Ram they paid for :)

Thanked by 1qwerty11
  • @aiur said: Just find in URPAD's TOS, "Utilizing QEMU to run Windows on OPenVZ is prohibited."

They are so fast to add everything they found in this forum into their TOS, right?

It's not like we just saw this thread and tossed this in. We've banned it because it's a hog. Plus we sell real Windows servers. (Though laughably are out of stock at the moment)

@AnthonySmith said: Because they would be rubber ducked if most people actually used the Ram they paid for :)

Haha, nah. A while back some guy on here was complaining that we suspended him for doing just this. 'Coincidentally' at the same time, about 6 other VPSes on the same node was trying to run Windows in an OpenVZ node. I think someone wrote a guide on a Chinese blog about running QEMU in OpenVZ as all of the clients in question were Chinese and signed up on the same day doing the same thing. Caused some headaches.

• aiuraiur Member

@MannDude said: Haha, nah. A while back some guy on here was complaining that we suspended him for doing just this. 'Coincidentally' at the same time, about 6 other VPSes on the same node was trying to run Windows in an OpenVZ node. I think someone wrote a guide on a Chinese blog about running QEMU in OpenVZ as all of the clients in question were Chinese and signed up on the same day doing the same thing. Caused some headaches.

Understandable, glad you did so. Thanks for explaining. I would do the same if this happens on my server.

I would be cautious if I do anything on a VPS as I don't want to add burden to the server to affect others. I will get one Windows VPS when you have more in stock.

Thanks!

• Just find in URPAD's TOS, "Utilizing QEMU to run Windows on OPenVZ is prohibited."

so my plan to utilize QEMU to run OS/2 Warp 4 would still be OK :P

If I have the guaranteed ram, for sure I can use it, right?

If people actually used their "guaranteed ram" on the average 2GB for $7 VPS node...it...would....crash. 128GB sold on a 32GB box essentially means "no guarantee".

There are some openvz providers who would even consider the RAM usage shown below to be abuse since this particular VPS averages about this much RAM usage 24/7 (the top stats are from a Xen VPS at CloudVPS.com--the VPS is used strictly for websites, mysql is offloaded to another VPS)

top - 17:34:54 up 120 days,  7:38,  1 user,  load average: 0.82, 0.60, 0.56
    Tasks: 138 total,   1 running, 136 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
    Cpu(s): 11.5%us,  2.5%sy,  0.0%ni, 85.5%id, 0.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.1%si,  0.3%st
    Mem:   4099196k total,  3996312k used,   102884k free,   106888k buffers
    Swap:  4194296k total,    49888k used,  4144408k free,  2774928k cached
  • ChanChan Member

@MannDude
    For the matter, I do remember reading a Chinese blog post which teaches exactly that last year.....

@MannDude said: Caused some headaches.

See my previous point.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited April 2013

@aiur said: Just find in URPAD's TOS, "Utilizing QEMU to run Windows on OPenVZ is prohibited."

Well, they forbid Windows. You can still use the free alternative ReactOS.