Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do small providers do it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do small providers do it?

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@joepie91 said:
    Plenty of public data on DigitalOcean's investment rounds. I don't need to know exact budgets to assess that this makes DO a poor candidate for looking at how smaller providers stay afloat, because such investments are not common in this market.

Obviously poor candidate for the discussion, just was wondering about the statement. I didn't take you as the type to make statements as fact when based on assumptions. Misunderstanding :)

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited October 2016

You can always mark up to eventually mark down to give the appearance of value. Some people pay $10 because $5 - 7 looks "too cheap" (not with the crowd here but normal people)

• Most smaller host have smaller budget margins.

No advertising, many of them pay little to no taxes comparing to large ventures. No need of having dedicated offices. And so on...

Also, in some cases. When you go with a budget host. You will get some weird routes and stuff due to their cheap bandwidth policies. (Not always true - Check out BuyVM. They have competitively low prices and they have nice peering for almost anywhere)

• I do cubedata by using automation and also using automated anti fraud detection systems it solves most if not all would be troublemakers

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Pull GVH.

Nuff said.

• Overselling, don't trust anyone say something else.

• Francisco said: He was 100% arrested,

I guess you'd have to be a schizophrenic to be 50% arrested. ;)

• @sophiaalice said:
    [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo Click

Lol

?????

• jarland said: I'd appreciate any place you can point me to the leakage of financial data (budgets, income statements, etc). Thanks! :)

It's entirely possible things have changed since this but Ben Uretsky was pretty open last year about inconsistent profitability:

"According to Uretsky, DigitalOcean has occasionally been profitable already, “but with this rapid rate of growth, you sometimes get a little bit ahead of yourself,” he admitted."

https://techcrunch.com/2015/07/08/digitalocean-raises-83m-series-b-round-led-by-access-industries/

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Zeast said:

@sophiaalice said:

Lol

?????

Run it in a terminal.

• @pbgben said:

@Zeast said:

@sophiaalice said:

Lol

?????

Run it in a terminal.

I know that, but, is this related to the thread?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Zeast said:

@pbgben said:

@Zeast said:

@sophiaalice said:

Lol

?????

Run it in a terminal.

I know that, but, is this related to the thread?

It implies that a "Summer host" Rolls a dice every day they "Operate" and one day they will roll a 6 and shutdown.

• @sophiaalice said: [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo Click

https://qntm.org/suicide