Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do small providers do it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do small providers do it?

I have been looking through lowendbox.com and have seen some downright amazing specs. For example HostDare are offering the equivalent to digital oceans droplet for $40/month for ~$40 a year??

Is this a good old fashioned to good to be true or should I buy?

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2016

Let's keep it Simple: DO is established and reputable. With Budget providers like these it's like

[ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo Click

It either works out or is a letdown. Dealers choice xD

Thanked by 2bryce GCat
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It's not uncommon to see offers like that to act as 'float' for these companies. When everyone and their dog were getting on the $15/year train years back many companies offered them as a way to try to make the following months bills and just keep things going. That's why most people refer to them as 'loss leaders' since long term they're likely a wash for the provider but it gives them that short term income they desperately need.

You can watch around these forums and see certain deals go up that are last minute, insane resources, etc, to just cover bills further.

Then again, you have those few providers that have a lot of saved revenue to invest into this idea (the standard recommendation is have a year worth of costs covered in hand + to cover your time) and they're able to support it.

Unfortunately what usually happens is upstream vendors are the ones that get a deep dicking in this since these providers pick up a bunch of rented equipment and sit X months in the rear all the time because they either can't afford it, or they could've but the owners have expensive lifestyles, girlfriends, addictions, etc.

I know at least a couple providers that are getting stuck pretty hard because of some of the more recent failures within the low end bracket. I kinda think it's why you're seeing more datacenters compete with their users, just as a way to cover their asses a bit better.

Francisco

• cough that one budget provider that everybody loves doesn't offer $10/year VPS anymore due to their limited IPs cough cough

Thanked by 1PrColo
  • sinsin Member

Francisco said: but the owners have expensive lifestyles, girlfriends, addictions, etc.

So my business plan of starting a VPS host might not cover my cocaine addiction?

Thanked by 1doughmanes

@sin said:

Francisco said: but the owners have expensive lifestyles, girlfriends, addictions, etc.

So my business plan of starting a VPS host might not cover my cocaine addiction?

Given some of the owners, the cocaine addiction is paid first, then the owners wage is page, and then the vendors get paid after the first disconnect and then employees are paid.

I wish I was kidding.

Francisco

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2016

@Francisco: Isn't that the plot of "The ChrisG Story"? ;-)

edited October 2016

@Amitz said:

There's a missing 'sucker punch girlfriend in the mouth' step then >_>

Francisco

Thanked by 2Amitz lazyt
  • buy a kimsufi server and oversell it?

• @stasi said:
    buy a kimsufi server and oversell it?

maybe soyoustart becuase they have raid1 and kimisufi raid 0

• fxffxf Member

@Francisco said:

@Amitz said:

Francisco

That's awful, for all involved.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Advicerxyz said:

@stasi said:
    buy a kimsufi server and oversell it?

maybe soyoustart becuase they have raid1 and kimisufi raid 0

you got it

• Having owned gear gives a lot more luxury than having rented gear. We started with rented gear and it sucked. It gets expensive really fast.

We also didn't start from 0 since we got into the VPS market after our game servers were profitable. However, for a few months from one day we strictly did monthly payments for game server orders. I refused to take payments for months/year in advance without being 100% certain that we could keep our word on it.

A lot of the crazy deals coming from new providers overnight is because they want to make a quick buck and sadly go deadpool :(

Roilan

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • love this!

@Ympker said:

[ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo Click

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2016

Oversell, oversell, oversell. You've gotta be quick on your feet, willing to do the work of 3-4 people, and you've gotta have a good mind for running servers.

Else, you're just playing house until the first thing fries and then you're closing up shop and fighting PayPal disputes.

Francisco said: You can watch around these forums and see certain deals go up that are last minute, insane resources, etc, to just cover bills further.

Yep. That's how I built MXroute and I did the same with Catalyst. The key is, if I failed, I could float the entire thing out of pocket (or Ryan could, if we're talking Catalyst). That's a significant difference. A lot of new one-person hosts don't have anything but the will and a pair of dice. But if you can back it up personally and you're prepared to do so, you can weather the storms and see the other side.

Thanked by 3seriesn PrColo rsk

jarland said: Yep. That's how I built MXroute and I did the same with Catalyst. The key is, if I failed, I could float the entire thing out of pocket (or Ryan could, if we're talking Catalyst). That's a significant difference

There's a big point you just made though, you can afford to float things if the idea didn't work out. There's more than a few offers I see go up that obviously look like 'if we dont get this we arent covering costs'.

Francisco

Thanked by 3jar seriesn lazyt
  • Quoting both of you in one because it is easier then quoting individually.

Can't agree more. Having a backup fund is crucial for any kind of investment. Be it business or house or hell getting married. Have strong financial backup and having plan B to Z for when plan A and the rest fails.

Biggest reason I have seen way too many hosts dead pooling is because most of them starts with their lunch money and the hope that turning money for Slice or pie into a whole pizza with soda money. But failed to realize that if that money is gone, they won't even have money to by fries. Forget slice.

And Tada. > @Francisco said:

jarland said: Yep. That's how I built MXroute and I did the same with Catalyst. The key is, if I failed, I could float the entire thing out of pocket (or Ryan could, if we're talking Catalyst). That's a significant difference

There's a big point you just made though, you can afford to float things if the idea didn't work out. There's more than a few offers I see go up that obviously look like 'if we dont get this we arent covering costs'.

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Automation is key, efficiency is a great way of saving money.

• Automation and very strict fraud detection

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Automation and having own hardware/IPs save a lot cost. So even after low price,hosts make money.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@Amitz said:

Francisco

When did that happen? I must really be out of the loop these days to miss that drama. :(

@KuJoe said:

@Francisco said:

@Amitz said:

Francisco

When did that happen? I must really be out of the loop these days to miss that drama. :(

Rumor is within the past couple months. He was 100% arrested, pretty sure it was California.

Francisco

• @jarland said:
    But if you can back it up personally and you're prepared to do so, you can weather the storms and see the other side.

Another sensible alternative is to do essentially what Amazon did: back it up with a business need. 90% of the technical services I offer are because I had to go to the trouble to learn them to do the other 10% of my business. The expense is a given, so why not consider if there's a profit to be made somehow?

• @Francisco said: Rumor is within the past couple months. He was 100% arrested, pretty sure it was California.

Francisco

• DigitalOcean has their own control/billing panel, data center staff, UI/UX designers, community managers and they also organize meetups, participate in conferences. So competing with rock bottom prices isn't possible.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jesin said:
    DigitalOcean has their own control/billing panel, data center staff, UI/UX designers, community managers and they also organize meetups, participate in conferences. So competing with rock bottom prices isn't possible.

DigitalOcean isn't really a good provider to look at here. They run primarily off venture capital.

• joepie91 said: DigitalOcean isn't really a good provider to look at here. They run primarily off venture capital.

Never said all those things made them good. Just saying why their prices aren't as low as some other LE providers here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2016

@joepie91 said:

@jesin said:
    DigitalOcean has their own control/billing panel, data center staff, UI/UX designers, community managers and they also organize meetups, participate in conferences. So competing with rock bottom prices isn't possible.

DigitalOcean isn't really a good provider to look at here. They run primarily off venture capital.

I'd appreciate any place you can point me to the leakage of financial data (budgets, income statements, etc). Thanks! :)

• @jarland said:

@joepie91 said:

@jesin said:

I'd appreciate any place you can point me to the leakage of financial data (budgets, income statements, etc). Thanks! :)

It's just the jealousy some people have on new companies receiving millions from venture capitalists :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I think another mistake people make is to price their products too low to start, or attempting to price themselves into the LEB market.

Our base package is $12 per month, if I decide I want to post an offer here I just discount it. It's then more future proof with pricing increases and then I don't have to deal with complaints on raising prices, I simply don't discount as much.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jesin said:

joepie91 said: DigitalOcean isn't really a good provider to look at here. They run primarily off venture capital.

Never said all those things made them good. Just saying why their prices aren't as low as some other LE providers here.

I don't mean "good" in terms of quality. I mean "good" in terms of "relevant to the question that OP asked" :)

@jarland said:

@joepie91 said:

@jesin said:

Plenty of public data on DigitalOcean's investment rounds. I don't need to know exact budgets to assess that this makes DO a poor candidate for looking at how smaller providers stay afloat, because such investments are not common in this market.