Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I care that a provider lied to me about what disks they used?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I care that a provider lied to me about what disks they used?

sithrebel15sithrebel15 Member
edited September 2016 in Help

When i ordered my current server the listing showed 2x1tb WD black. However the server has one WD black and one Barracuda drive.

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
Device Model:     ST31000528AS
Serial Number:    5VP7B14W

also power on hours look to be 41k?

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   053   053   000    Old_age   Always       -       41672

other drive

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Black
Device Model:     WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
Serial Number:    WD-WCATRC637767

Comments

• I think that was a honest mistake.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Does the brand really matter?

• Sue them.

Thanked by 3yomero zafouhar jvnadr
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Honest mistake and doesn't really matter unless you are paying a premium price

41k hours does seem like a lot though

• Of course the brand matters. If you are told you get two WD black, then you should get two WD black — unless the provider has no supply and you both agree to use another brand. But just putting a wholly different drive in and not communicating this to the customer is not acceptable in my book.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • Depending on their age, there's actually potentially a small performance difference in the two drives also. Generally speaking, they're comparable. But if I'm not mistaken, there was a cache size difference between them also.

If you aren't using the server yet, I'd simply request a change.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • It's hard to tell whether to care because you can't easily determine if it was an honest mistake or not. It's likely it was but there's no way to be absolutely sure. If you trust the company, let it slide. If you're suspicious then maybe investigate further.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

You'd think that if they went through the trouble of showing the disk manufacturer on the listing, that they would also make sure to use them in the server.

It's like when a provider claims to have SSD VPS, but has SATA1 speeds

Thanked by 1switsys
  • TRhe WD black has VASTLY better seek speed than the 7200.12, but the 7200.12 has better sequential read/write performance. The Black is definitely the pricier drive. Not really surprising a 4yo model has 4y uptime.

I would care - my desktops/laptops use WD black exclusively as spinners

• Sounds like maybe one of the Blacks failed in the past and the tech replaced with a non WD Black hence the hours.

I would say ask if they can swap to a WD Black, seems a simple mistake.

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited September 2016

In the past I would say argue to make sure that you get the drive replaced, but after I've seen a fair share of WD Black drives failing, I think that WD caught up with Seagate when it comes to un-fucking-reliability of their drives.
    I've upgraded all my HDDs to WD RE4s, but this comes at a hefty price.

You will be backing up the data that's going there, will you?

Also, is this rig meant to run with these drives configured as RAID-1 by any chance?

• If the hard drive doesn't show errors why overly worry yourself about power on time?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@pbgben said:
    It's like when a provider claims to have SSD VPS, but has SATA1 speeds

Which is always reported with a dd test like raw MB/s for a sequential write job determines the type of disk used.

:P

• Nothing is wrong with the hard drives its probably an honest mistake the drive was probably replaced awhile back and not documented as changed. The sales rep possibly just didn't know I highly doubt it would be anything to lie about.

• @jarland said:
    Which is always reported with a dd test like raw MB/s for a sequential write job determines the type of disk used.

:P

More or less how half of LET's witch hunts are started.

Thanked by 2jar doughmanes
  • sinsin Member
    edited September 2016

jarland said: Which is always reported with a dd test like raw MB/s for a sequential write job determines the type of disk used.

I set my server to do a dd test on every bash command so I can know at all times that it is performing to LET standards :).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sin said:

jarland said: Which is always reported with a dd test like raw MB/s for a sequential write job determines the type of disk used.

I set my server to do a dd test on every bash command so I can know at all times that it is performing to LET standards :).

Be sure to log time and date! Bonus points for scripting an email to support when the average drops.

• @jarland said:

@sin said:

Be sure to log time and date! Bonus points for scripting an email to support when the average drops.

lol! I will also have it automatically open a LET thread titled SCAM [insert provider]!!! when the average drops

• You gotta do dd / serverbear / unixbench every 30 minutes for best results on a VPS

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • It could have been a mistake. I'm sure if it is, they would change it up for you via a ticket, hopefully. Either way, they should keep their word.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@doughmanes said:
    You gotta do dd / serverbear / unixbench every 30 minutes for best results on a VPS

My mission critical application can't run when the IO speed has dropped 1MB/s that means I need to test every minute on multiple different VPSs on the same node to make sure the node can handle it. Otherwise I'll loose my $$$$$$$ and sue anyone who thinks I wont! /s

Thanked by 3jar doughmanes netomx
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

We had a 100% failure rate on the ST31000528AS model. Every one of them we had were RMA'ed and they sent back the ST1000DM003 instead. The ST1000DM003 has some reliability issues as well, but it is a pretty good performing drive when it works.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

Looking only at SATA, over the last 6 years excluding SSD, SAS, I have had 16 WD blacks in service and around 48 Seagates.

I have had 1 wd black failure, and 9 Seagate failures, obviously this represents a small sample but I trust WD blacks over Seagate (anything) any day, in the case of the WD that failed, it failed slowly i.e. detectable without causing issues and was a simple replacement i.e. not catastrophic, the Seagates seem to absolutely implode.

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Looking only at SATA, over the last 6 years excluding I have had 16 WD blacks in service and around 48 Seagates.

I have had 1 wd black failure, and 9 Seagate failures, obviously this represents a small sample but I trust WD blacks over Seagate (anything) any day, in the case of the WD that failed, it failed slowly i.e. detectable without causing issues and was a simple replacement i.e. not catastrophic, the Seagates seem to absolutely implode.

It seems like ever since Maxtor aquired MiniScribe the output of every merger on that chain has been the worse of the 2 drive makers.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I only use WD green. ;()

• God forbid you would ask the provider first before jumping to the conclusion they purposely deceived you. I'm not saying they didn't, but there's no useful information here that would allow anyone to make a meaningful comment.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • doughmanes said: You gotta do dd / serverbear / unixbench every 30 minutes for best results on a VPS

I run unixbench every 5 minutes via cron and hate it when a VPS cannot handle 10 parallel instances of it. I chargeback then. No need for further discussions.

@sithrebel15: On a serious note - I would just contact them, stating friendly that you ordered with the expectation of 2 WB black drives and ask for their proposal on how to handle the situation. See how they react and then ask yourself again.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Provider: "We need two hard drives, both WD Black."

NSA: "Sorry, only got one in stock with our firmware loaded. Here's a Barracuda instead."

Provider: "Guy noticed. Wants two WD Black."

NSA: "What a pain in the ass! Is he some kind of Communist or something?!? Fine, here's two WD Black, but you can bet I'm putting him on the daily collect and analyze list..."

• @mikho said:
    I only use WD green. ;()

I used to have a WD green VPS node a few years back, they are actually not bad drives at all if a little slow.

• I'm all black and blue. (should probably see a doctor)