Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtEngine Cloud Platform - Launching VM Demo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtEngine Cloud Platform - Launching VM Demo

Comments

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@DrFallen said:
    I'm at a little loss with the licensing so if I wanted to direct use the panel and your servers I'd only be able to spend a certain amount on that node? Do the master licenses need slave licenses? How does that all work.

Overall looks good better than some of the other examples that have appeared on LET from time to time.

For SaaS - you will have to pay for the cost of the VM running the Master & Slave (optional), we will have something in place then (currently we don't have a pricing structure in place). It should be somewhere around $10/GB ram VM similar to DO.

With SaaS you also get automated updates, it utilizes our own Continuous Integration system (which is available for your clients through VirtEngine for PaaS & One-Click images) & it also utilizes HA for the VM's.

For the master license (self hosted) that's comes with the ability to install a slave as well.

Slaves are there to serve as HA for the Master, they are optional but recommended if you want to meet high SLA for your clients.

By the way if your confused about the pricing (64GB limit) that's only for the cost, not that we actually limit your 128GB ram server to only be able to serve 64GB ram of resources..

• @jarland said:
    But, like I said, feel free to surprise me. If it's not KVM, perhaps it all makes more sense to me right away. Could easily be done with VZ.

@DETio can you kindly confirm this point? Is your software based on KVM (like it's supposed to be) or OpenVZ?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@andreamada said:

@jarland said:
    But, like I said, feel free to surprise me. If it's not KVM, perhaps it all makes more sense to me right away. Could easily be done with VZ.

@DETio can you kindly confirm this point? Is your software based on KVM (like it's supposed to be) or OpenVZ?

It's always been KVM, we've never mentioned OpenVZ :)

We will be supporting either LXC/OpenVZ down the road.

Thanked by 1Mad
  • I didn't realise this was based on OpenNebula, it makes sense now as otherwise you would have had a lot to develop, nevertheless good work!

• Jacob said: I didn't realise this was based on OpenNebula, it makes sense now as otherwise you would have had a lot to develop, nevertheless good work!

Yes, there's no reason to re-invent the wheel.

• @jarland said:
    I still worry, though, about being able to live store a KVM on two hard drives on two separate servers over a 1Gbps internal network at any reasonable scale, to such a degree that one can simply "failover" to the other.

I worked at a company where the nimble storage array for vmware was replicated over 1gbps dark fibre. This was a finance company pushing a LOT of data.

1GB is definitely doable.

Thanked by 3jar cassa DETio
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

DETio said: Yes, there's no reason to re-invent the wheel.

But there is totally reason to re-invent that user experience. Good choice :D

Thanked by 1DETio
  • so @DETio if I bought the complete edition what difference is that from minified does that mean the complete edition isn't "minified" with ioncube the source is open? because I would have a hard time convincing myself to use something that just came out and is ioncube'd preventing me from looking "under the hood" seeing what it is doing and is brand new vs something like solusvm ioncube'd but it has been proven to be secure.

• @DETio said:

@srvrpro said:
    Is it self hosted? What language is the frontend written in?

Front-End: Ember.JS & Ruby

Back-End: Golang (majority), Scylla

Yes both editions are self-hosted.

Edit: well just as blazingservers mentioned :P

Curiosity but why Ember and Ruby for the front end?

• I'd only be interested in this if you get Steven Ciaburri to vet the code when it launches.

• @Foul said:
    I'd only be interested in this if you get Steven Ciaburri to vet the code when it launches.

Did you mean to say "I am considering purchasing a large number of licenses and would like to pay an independant code auditor to audit your code under NDA, would you be open to this?" or are you a millennial?

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

mycosys said: Did you mean to say "I am considering purchasing a large number of licenses and would like to pay an independant code auditor to audit your code under NDA, would you be open to this?" or are you a millennial?

Do you have something against millennials?

• @Awmusic12635 said:

mycosys said: Did you mean to say "I am considering purchasing a large number of licenses and would like to pay an independant code auditor to audit your code under NDA, would you be open to this?" or are you a millennial?

Yes, most of them (as does the rest of the world), and you are demonstrating why rather well
    You arent owed ANYTHING, get over yourself. It isnt personal.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

@mycosys said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

Yes, most of them (as does the rest of the world), and you are demonstrating why rather well

I simply asked a question as it seemed a bit out of the blue. I very rarely take anything personally, after all, it's the Internet.

Though I would consider a security audit of some kind a reasonable request considering the security issues that have plagued other panels. Would do a great deal to encourage confidence in their new product.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@Awmusic12635 said:

@mycosys said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

I simply asked a question as it seemed a bit out of the blue. I very rarely take anything personally, after all, it's the Internet.

Though I would consider a security audit of some kind a reasonable request considering the security issues that have plagued other panels. Would do a great deal to encourage confidence in their new product.

Hello - you are correct, security audits are definately a reasonable thing to expect. However im not sure if security audits by a specific person we aren't familiar with is - we will be having security audits run by multiple independent third party providers when we do have some revenue being generated. As you can imagine, between self-funded & a long time developing this - funds have been scarce.

We take security very seriously, for example with SSH keys - a passphrase is automatically generated and sent by mail. Meaning if the providers servers are taken over and the ssh keys can be read - they aren't usable. This is one in many security implementations we have worked on.

• @timnboys said:
    so @DETio if I bought the complete edition what difference is that from minified does that mean the complete edition isn't "minified" with ioncube the source is open? because I would have a hard time convincing myself to use something that just came out and is ioncube'd preventing me from looking "under the hood" seeing what it is doing and is brand new vs something like solusvm ioncube'd but it has been proven to be secure.

No, the words minified/complete have nothing to do with the ability to view the code. Most of the application in the platform except the gateway and engine are open source anyways so you will be able to view the source code.

• Looks cool,
    Congrats!!

• @fvsegarra said:
    Looks cool,
    Congrats!!

Much appreciated :)

• skbenterpriseskbenterprise Member, Patron Provider

Looks very nice :)

• DETio said: However im not sure if security audits by a specific person we aren't familiar with is

Steven Ciaburri runs Rack911 and has discovered security flaws in almost every web panel out there. This is Steven's WHT profile, check out the topics started by him.

Thanked by 1Foul
  • @jesin said:

DETio said: However im not sure if security audits by a specific person we aren't familiar with is

Steven Ciaburri runs Rack911 and has discovered security flaws in almost every web panel out there. This is Steven's WHT profile, check out the topics started by him.

We'll keep him in mind in that case, Thanks.

• tragic said: Curiosity but why Ember and Ruby for the front end?

EmberJS as it is a powerful front-end framework & Ruby due to it's ability to bootstrap development.

• Cool, i hope can replace my solus with this soontm :D

Thanked by 1DETio
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@jetdino said:
    Cool, i hope can replace my solus with this soontm :D

Hello, would you be interested in phasing out solusvm first in order to test our platform and ensure it is the right fit (which we sure it is) by removing stock of solusvm products and offering cloud services via Virtengine until we have developed our migration tools. Since v1.0 won't be released with migration tools just yet.

Once migration tools are developed then you can easily move user control of vms from the solusvm panel into ours, finally phasing solus out and allowing you to cancel your solus license as it no longer is needed to manage the vms.

Let me know if that situation would work with you :-)

We're working hard to have a release ready for production by November 1st.

• Hi, nice to see this. i see you used opennebula, how is it going? compare to openstack ( if you have used it). I mean in the daily usage, like updating script to the latest, backup and restore vm or even disaster recovery. When using openstack (icehouse) it bit painfull when facing upgrade to the latest, migration, backup and restoring vm.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

mgilang said: Hi, nice to see this. i see you used opennebula, how is it going? compare to openstack ( if you have used it). I mean in the daily usage, like updating script to the latest, backup and restore vm or even disaster recovery. When using openstack (icehouse) it bit painfull when facing upgrade to the latest, migration, backup and restoring vm.

OpenNebula is super flexible, updating is a breeze & is always backward compatible (with API's etc.)

Yes, OpenNebula supports Ceph which is a massively scalable, open-source, software-defined storage solution developed from the ground-up to provide object, block and file system storage in one self-managing, self-healing platform. Using a high-reliability, non-stop architecture, Ceph is the ideal solution for supporting the legacy needs of the enterprise, while embracing next-generation cloud solutions.

It's super easy to Install / Manage and Operate an OpenNebula cloud in comparison to OpenStack by far.

Our installers even do it for you, you can launch the platform in minutes through our automated launcher which will be ready at around November 1st.

Thanked by 1mgilang
  • Also check out:

https://docs.virtengine.com/v1.5/16-high-availability/ha_failover/

&&

https://docs.virtengine.com/v1.5/paas/

It's got some additional information on what our platform supports.

• Cant wait november then!

• DETio said: Hello, would you be interested in phasing out solusvm first in order to test our platform and ensure it is the right fit (which we sure it is) by removing stock of solusvm products and offering cloud services via Virtengine until we have developed our migration tools. Since v1.0 won't be released with migration tools just yet.

Once migration tools are developed then you can easily move user control of vms from the solusvm panel into ours, finally phasing solus out and allowing you to cancel your solus license as it no longer is needed to manage the vms.

Let me know if that situation would work with you :-)

We're working hard to have a release ready for production by November 1st.

Cool, i have plan to migrate on october, so alongside november i can look and test before production.

• @DETio said:

tragic said: Curiosity but why Ember and Ruby for the front end?

EmberJS as it is a powerful front-end framework & Ruby due to it's ability to bootstrap development.

Ah, cool. How are you liking Ember so far? It's one of the MV* frameworks I haven't used.