Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB under 1 amp - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB under 1 amp

13»

Comments

• Don't quote me on this @earl, but I remember 4+ locations.... Toronto, Montreal and some spots outside both.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: You clearly have no idea what you're talking about lol

They provided excel sheets for calculating power consumption in various configurations

I guess in your tiny little mind you are can dream that you know any better then Dell

edited March 2013

@earl said: Yeah that was why I called them it's about the $50 promo. seemed good but after all said and done the total comes close to $100!!

Datacentec had a promo that is not advertised ... for dual L5520 32gb 1TB 1Gbit/10T Rent to Own for even less than 100$. Its probably the best deal and as close to collocation you can find as we speak.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@earl how about that adata drives? Do they work fine?

• Adata SSD's ... yeah they work. Using an old model from a while back. Haven't had any problems...

@goexodus. Dacentec has some great RTO offers... Network needs to improve though... Lots of slow and funky stuff and snafu'd routing/high latency.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@netomx said: @earl how about that adata drives? Do they work fine?

Well it's only been less than a week but yeah no problem so far.. been meaning to do some benchmark on it but kinda lazy.. I still would rather buy the samsung 840 pro thought!

• earlearl Member

@goexodus said: Datacentec had a promo that is not advertised ... for dual L5520 32gb 1TB 1Gbit/10T Rent to Own for even less than 100$

Yeah I think it's better to just rent a dedi if colo is going to cost $100/mo.. it's really tempting to colo cause I see so many cheap servers on ebay but after you calculate all that is involved I don't think you will come out ahead..

edited March 2013

Network needs to improve though...

Download speed from CacheFly: 5.07MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 47.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 44.5MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.76MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 6.14MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.82MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.20MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 15.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 16.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 56.3MB/s

But keep in mind i have IO bottlenecks.

Latency as you said is really bad for the location. Other east coast DC servers i have even further are around 40ms better. We will see ... But definitively will save tons of cash when i move everything to them.

@earl said: Yeah I think it's better to just rent a dedi if colo is going to cost $100/mo.. it's really tempting to colo cause I see so many cheap servers on ebay but after you calculate all that is involved I don't think you will come out ahead..

I did same calculations and even bought server from ebay to crash test. But in the end DACENTEC RTO was the best value. Just the fact i am allowed to send my own SSDs and drives justifies the price of the rental. I don't even pay shipping now but only after one year when i keep the server.

I would had never found these deals before LET era and thanks to all the guys sharing the information

• Those speeds aren't bad @goexodus. Dacentec's network has been ummm random at times. Know they had recent work windows for network upgrades.

Atlanta is going to be fast from there since backhauling to Atlanta. DC is other big POP and they might have stuff laid out to move traffic directly up there too.

UK speed = weak since pretty fast normally US East Coast.

I have an RTO from them, but I keep letting it sit and idle until I see the network more solid and predictable. But, these numbers are pretty encouraging... Off to check their routes in and out that go through Chicago. Been a multi-year bottleneck, high latency, etc.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@earl said: but after you calculate all that is involved I don't think you will come out ahead..

It's not that, I went for colo instead of renting because I want to decide what machine and parts to put there.
    In price, yeah, a hetzner would do for just a bit over what i pay for colo, but I can go and put a 4 TB monster in, for example, these things cost an arm and a leg, the initial price is low, but the add-onics kill you...

• earlearl Member

@goexodus said: I did same calculations and even bought server from ebay to crash test. But in the end RTO was the best value. Just the fact i am allowed to send my own SSDs and drives justifies the price of the rental !!!

Exactly!!
    actually WII also allows you to use your own SSD, which makes the L5420 deal @$39.99 a pretty good deal!

• Dacentec allows you to buy via RTO base system with parts you need. Then the big upticks, like drives, you can ship to them.

Makes the best of both worlds and controls costs some. Others are doing this (customers as well as other facilities). It makes RTO vs. colo cost extra dimensional for comparisons :)

• @pubcrawler said: Dacentec allows you to buy via RTO base system with parts you need. Then the big upticks, like drives, you can ship to them.

Hehe. I sent in my own hard drives, have a Dual L5420 node with 24GB RAM plus a dedicated IPMI. Love it. (Seriously, this node is my baby)

• Yeah I should have held off a little longer with Dacentec @HalfEatenPie.... See some faster CPUs + larger RAM showing in offers at very little increase in price... Grr

edited March 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: Hehe. I sent in my own hard drives, have a Dual L5420 node with 24GB RAM plus a dedicated IPMI. Love it. (Seriously, this node is my baby)

Too soon for me to say but they had been very responsive to initial tickets. I moved over 300 VMs in a day thanks to veeam.

But i still have my old CM 35$ baby. Its my ideal backup node.

Those speeds aren't bad @goexodus. Dacentec's network has been ummm random at times.

I check network often and its consistent for last 3 days. I am pretty sure its even better but i have IO bottlenecks to show better results

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2013

@goexodus said: But i still have my old CM 35$ baby. They even gave me a 1TB RE3 drive at that price and shipped drives to them also. Its my ideal backup node.

Oh geeze. My CM node (when I had it) had horrible network. Support was non-existent, and never returned my messages requesting for a datacenter transfer (hell just giving me a new server at the other datacenter would have been fine).

Probably was the first dedicated server I ever cancelled.

@pubcrawler said: Yeah I should have held off a little longer with Dacentec @HalfEatenPie.... See some faster CPUs + larger RAM showing in offers at very little increase in price... Grr

Hehe, my server is a Dell server so it only came with 8GB RAM but to me it was well worth it (came with hardware raid too!).

• Probably was the first dedicated server I ever cancelled.

Talk about good luck or tolerance.

CM is a trainwreck.

edited March 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: (hell just giving me a new server at the other datacenter would have been fine).

Commercial Media (CM) recently upgraded their network and i am pretty much maxing the 100mbit line. Latency is also awesome for the distance. They told me their DC was previous owned by Deutsche bank trading group and its TIER4. Support is a problem but there is a trick for that :)

Download speed from CacheFly: 11.3MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.09MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 9.37MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.34MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 3.21MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 5.78MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.53MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.79MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.85MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 11.1MB/s

Exactly!!

actually WII also allows you to use your own SSD, which makes the L5420 deal @$39.99 a pretty good deal!

A dual L5420 with your own SSD is an amazing piece of equipment more than enough for most projects

• SPSP Member

@goexodus said: But in the end DACENTEC RTO was the best value.

Is that dual L5420 the only dedi they have? I looked around on their site a bit, but didn't see anything else. Must have pallets of those or something.

• @Sperryman said: Is that dual L5420 the only dedi they have?

They have sometimes dual L5140
    And sometimes dual E5472 or dual L5520

Their stock changes almost every day :S

• jeffjeff Member

So, I have a few 128 GB 840 pros. What will dacentect charge me to put them in?

edited April 2013

@jeff said: So, I have a few 128 GB 840 pros. What will dacentect charge me to put them in?

Remote hands 30m. Check their addons. All reasonable.

@HalfEatenPie said: new server at the other datacenter would have been fine).

Whats the other datacenter

@earl said: Exactly!!

I have a server with CM and after sending them an old SSD i am a happy camper.

• @goexodus said: Whats the other datacenter

I believe they operate out of two facilities. But because one facility is considered "full to capacity" they only allow purchases to that facility upon request.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I believe they operate out of two facilities. But because one facility is considered "full to capacity" they only allow purchases to that facility upon request.

you are doing detective work lately :)