Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB under 1 amp - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB under 1 amp

Comments

• How can you squeeze any 1u in 1 amp

• Seeing the effects of age with those CPU + the RAM power issue... 24GB of RAM is hearty though...

Don't populate it all and only add more when scaled to that... saves power...

I don't run my big engine at 8000 RPMs unless barreling down the road... no reason to blow the server up either unless truly needed.

• jeffjeff Member

@bdtech said: How can you squeeze any 1u in 1 amp

E31230 v2

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Damian said: I don't think the drives are using that much power.

From my thorough testing in real world environment, mechanical drives are using between 3 and 10 Watt, much-much more at spin-up, had cases when it didnt start because of this and had to plug in one drive shortly after the power-up to give time to the others to start, so I am not sure spinning them down is better to save power unless you let them idle for hours.

• @jeff 24gb+ of ram and raid 10 will put everyone past 1amp

• earlearl Member

@qps said: We have a few servers with the same setup and they eat a lot of power. They're hardly worth it from a power cost perspective.

Those Dell cs24-sc they are suppose to be low powered servers, with dual L5420 16gb Ram and 2x 7200rpm HD can they get by on 1 amps?

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited March 2013

The Samsung 840's use . .068 watts each = .12 watts (for 2) (taken from their spec sheet and observations).

That's 12 watts.

SSDs are pretty linear in power drawl as no motor or spin up.

Typically, most come in around 5 watts mixed use each these days.... That's my rule of thumb.

• jeffjeff Member

@pubcrawler said: The Samsung 840's use . .068 watts each = .12 watts (for 2) (taken from their spec sheet and observations). I had my choice between these and the SK Hynix, which the later would have been $50 overall cheaper.

• @jeff, so you bought the 840's... they are great... Unfamiliar with the SK Hynix... How are those?

• jeffjeff Member

Newegg has ones for $90, I have no idea on quality, but performance looks great. I went with the 840s because of a 20% off promo.

• earlearl Member

I wanted to buy the 840 pro but they were sold out at my local computer store so I ended up buying 2x adata that were on sale..

I installed this in raid 0 on a Dell XPS 7100, and to be honest while it's fast, I'm not really sure if it's really worth it to raid 0 the SSD.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@earl said: Those Dell cs24-sc they are suppose to be low powered servers, with dual L5420 16gb Ram and 2x 7200rpm HD can they get by on 1 amps?

No - somewhere between 1 and 1.5 amps usually. Most of ours are at about 1.1 amps with one drive.

If you want a low-power Dual L5420, look for one based on the X7DCA motherboard by SuperMicro. They use DDR2 ECC RAM (not FB), which uses about 2-3W per DIMM versus 15W per DIMM for the FB DIMMs. We have quite a few of these in service and they use a lot less power and don't run as hot either.

• The 5420's only if "under" populated will come in at the 1A and under number. Never are the L5420's "typically" under 1A for power billing purposes.

Larger RAM (16GB+) plus drives blows it up to near or above 2A. Depends on airflow/fans too and form factor --- 1U, 2U, etc.

• earlearl Member

@qps said: If you want a low-power Dual L5420, look for one based on the X7DCA motherboard by SuperMicro.

Holy cow!! the cheapest on ebay is like $400 + $50 shipping and that's just for the board!
    Probably cheaper to just buy a new Dell R210 II

• ^ true @early.

Kill-a-watt meters are the best $20 or investment any geek can make...

Specs from manufacturers on hardware leave much to be desired... Tons of BS for sales literature...

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@earl said: Holy cow!! the cheapest on ebay is like $400 + $50 shipping and that's just for the board!

Probably cheaper to just buy a new Dell R210 II

You can get them much, much cheaper than that. Definitely under $200 for the whole system.

My own dell (really ancient too) draws 345 Watt (power source rated).
    That would be 1.5 Amps at most and my own checks with 3 drives instead of 2 (had only 2 caddies) show it does not go over .9.
    That is, of course, double at 120 V, so max 3 amp, but real test shows 1.8 at full load, probably needs 3 only at power up, man, howls like a plane taking off...

• howls like a plane taking off...

The joys of 1U cramming

• earlearl Member

@pubcrawler said: Kill-a-watt meters are the best $20 or investment any geek can make...

yeah I should get one of these, they're pretty cheap on ebay..

You know you guys in the US don't know how lucky you have it! you have cheap colo and cheap servers! even shipping is cheap!

I wanted to colo locally but after being asked how many cpu's in the server bandwidth & IP's it was well close to $100/mo to colo a 1U

• Which country @earl?

There are options here in the US... But most of them come with certain clauses... Like HE+Cogent only blend... Limited staff... I'll stop...

$100 is a decent price for a real facility you can trust... Even in the US.

• earlearl Member

@pubcrawler said: Which country

I'm in Canada.. $100 is with 3z.ca not sure if they are considered a real facility..

edited March 2013

I find that price outrageous, I colo mine for 24 Eur (VAT on top of that...) and have one 1 gbps port guaranteed at least 250 mbps included. Never got over 5 TB to have it throttled.

@pubcrawler said: $100 is a decent price for a real facility you can trust...

• @earl:

They at 3z do have the $50 and $70 promos... Think they are 1A limited... Unsure though.. Made me not sign up in the past... so much for cheap hydro power I thought :)

Front Street location is real facility... Never been there myself, but others claim it's a major peer point...

• @Maounique, is that pricing in eastern Europe... It's great :)

@pubcrawler said: @Maounique, is that pricing in eastern Europe... It's great :)

Yes, we planned moving or at least extending here at some point.

• earlearl Member

@pubcrawler said: They at 3z do have the $50 and $70 promos...

Yeah that was why I called them it's about the $50 promo. seemed good but after all said and done the total comes close to $100!!

actually they had a $30/mo offer on WHT long ago, when I asked them about it the sales guy did not seem too thrilled he actually sounded pissed off.. oh well sales did not really seem to care about you if you only want to colo a 1U.

3z.ca is like 10 min drive for me but not too impressed with the sales guy so I could not really be bother and front street is like down town! I use to work in the area and I just hated it so don't really want to colo there, I would imagine parking would be around $30/hr or something ridiculous like that..

@Maounique said: I colo mine for 24 Eur (VAT on top of that...)

I wish they have something like this or anything under $50/mo for colo. Anything over this I would just rather get high speed DSL and just host it from home! it's only just a hobby really.

• 3Z is fine.. sales is sort of bait and switch @earl... I burnt up cycles with the quote going up and up... Sadly at end, too much...

Have you checked Netelligent?

• earlearl Member

@pubcrawler said: Have you checked Netelligent?

No they are in Montreal, I think they are expensive.. also 3z.ca only gives you access once a month!

• Netelligent @earl was under $100 last time I shopped.... Network then was pretty nice... They are at Front Street and several other locations... Do a double take with them.

• earlearl Member

@pubcrawler said: Network then was pretty nice...

This is true.. I had a reseller with a provider that colo with Netelligent and their network was awesome.. I did not know they have different locations.