Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slack Alternatives? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slack Alternatives?

2»

Comments

• @jarland is the chat.mxroute.com down for good?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AlyssaD said:
    @jarland is the chat.mxroute.com down for good?

Probably not. Just not sure if I like RocketChat. It's good on the web but the native apps are pretty terrible.

Thanked by 1CFarence
  • AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited September 2016

@jarland said:

@AlyssaD said:

Probably not. Just not sure if I like RocketChat. It's good on the web but the native apps are pretty terrible.

Awwwww ok. If anyone wants to use mine message me and I'll give you my servers info. Https and valid cert included.

• @jarland said:

@AlyssaD said:

That's the same reason why one of my slack groups hasn't moved over to RocketChat. I really need good mobile support, which rocketchat is just lacking in at the moment.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@geodirk said:
    I'm looking for an open source alternative to Slack for a project. We need self-hosting, encryption, lower cost than Slack, and most especially the availability of clients. Has anyone had any experience with anything they could recommend? My leading contender right now is Mattermost (www.mattermost.org) but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has played with any alternatives.

Slack can be hosted on Shared hosting or only on VPS?

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@geodirk said:
    I'm looking for an open source alternative to Slack for a project. We need self-hosting, encryption, lower cost than Slack, and most especially the availability of clients. Has anyone had any experience with anything they could recommend? My leading contender right now is Mattermost (www.mattermost.org) but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has played with any alternatives.

Slack can be hosted on Shared hosting or only on VPS?

I heard it only works on cloud VPS's...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

linuxthefish said: I heard it only works on cloud VPS's...

Yeah but if you don't have your pilot's license you're pretty much screwed there. Better just pay for the hosted version.

• I would say discord but it is not self hosted.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

I have created a Automatic installation for RocketChat which is good alternative of Slack and free. ;)

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited October 2016

I thought it might be a nice idea to create a script that does the full install of rocket.chat for you on an Ubuntu based server due to the post above. As such, I have created a script that will take you through a few questions and get you up and running in no time at all.

https://github.com/Munroenet/rcInstaller

You should only run the below on a fresh server, this isn't intended to be added on top of an existing system.

wget -qO- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Munroenet/rcInstaller/master/inst.sh --no-check-certificate | bash

The script will setup rocket.chat, install nginx, get a cert from letsencrypt, smash it all together to have in less then 10 minutes a fully running rocket.chat server with SSL.

Please make sure to have your server all presetup with a dns address that you will be using for letsencrypt!

Thanked by 3jar Foul geodirk
  • @AlyssaD said:
    I thought it might be a nice idea to create a script that does the full install of rocket.chat for you on an Ubuntu based server due to the post above. As such, I have created a script that will take you through a few questions and get you up and running in no time at all.

Nice script! I can confirm that I got it running on a blank Ubuntu 16 server within about 10 minutes. Pretty much just sat back and enjoyed watching the script roll on by. Nice documentation job in the script as well.

I'm sending you some coffee money for the effort and for sharing!

Thanked by 1AlyssaD
  • @geodirk said:

@AlyssaD said:

Nice script! I can confirm that I got it running on a blank Ubuntu 16 server within about 10 minutes. Pretty much just sat back and enjoyed watching the script roll on by. Nice documentation job in the script as well.

I'm sending you some coffee money for the effort and for sharing!

Thanks, and it is super appreciated.

You can watch it in action by clicking somewhere close to here.