Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slack Alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slack Alternatives?

I'm looking for an open source alternative to Slack for a project. We need self-hosting, encryption, lower cost than Slack, and most especially the availability of clients. Has anyone had any experience with anything they could recommend? My leading contender right now is Mattermost (www.mattermost.org) but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has played with any alternatives.

Comments

• Rocket.Chat, Mattermost and Let’s Chat is what comes to mind. The first one is my favourite.

Thanked by 1geodirk
  • Another vote for rocketchat

Thanked by 1geodirk
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

geodirk said: I'm looking for an open source alternative to Slack for a project.

IRC.

I mean, that's really what Slack is, after all...;-)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Rocket.Chat looks amazing. I've been using Mattermost but I think it's time to change. Well, next week.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

+1 for Rocket.chat , using it since many months

Thanked by 2geodirk MikePT
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

raindog308 said: I mean, that's really what Slack is, after all...;-)

It's really all about those pre-built integrations and bots. If it weren't for those, or if I were a better developer myself, I think I'd have no interest in slack. As it stands, totally planning on renewing it. First year is basically free with all the credits they give you. Really loving the uptime robot integration too.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @jarland said:

It's really all about those pre-built integrations and bots. If it weren't for those, or if I were a better developer myself, I think I'd have no interest in slack. As it stands, totally planning on renewing it. First year is basically free with all the credits they give you. Really loving the uptime robot integration too.

I built my own uptime robot with the API integration in rocket.chat and it has been extremely lovely to me.

Thanked by 3jar BeardyUnixGuy GCat
  • Thanks all...I'm doing a Rocket.Chat install right now.

• Build your own?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@AlyssaD said:

@jarland said:

I built my own uptime robot with the API integration in rocket.chat and it has been extremely lovely to me.

Opensource? :p

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

www.flock.co something like this?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: It's really all about those pre-built integrations and bots.

Yeah, it's a shame IRC doesn't have bots.

OK, I'm being an ass, but I couldn't resist :-) I totally understand what you're saying, but really, it feels like IRC to me. In fact, having bots chirp in channels feels even more like IRC to me. I don't have anything against slack, though - I've used it and liked it.

Thanked by 2mpkossen Maounique
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Rocketchat looks pretty nice, definitely since open source. Only if I had a use, I'd be sitting talking to myself.

@MikeA said:
    Rocketchat looks pretty nice, definitely since open source. Only if I had a use, I'd be sitting talking to myself.

Set up push notifications and build bots to do things for you. You could end up creating a chat program that notifies you of issues with servers and also works as a front-end interface for controlling things. Imagine this:

/suspend [email protected] shared1 spam

And it suspends that email account on shared1 server, then opens a ticket in WHMCS with the user, using your template for account sending spam.

The possibilities are there.

Thanked by 3Four20 Maounique Pwner
    edited September 2016

Let's see what fun can be had with RocketChat....

Can immediately tell this is no where near as stable as slack. Some things slide in and won't slide out, going to settings while a side slide in is active in a channel freaks it out. Little annoyances. But not bad at all.

• @raindog308, I can relate to your feeling of Slack being like IRC. But, at least slack clones have file transfer functionality built-in.

Most IRC frameworks never included DCC so you'd be left with the need to do a pastebin (or similar) hack-job for your bots to interact with (or process) files.

jarland said: Let's see what fun can be had with RocketChat....

https://chat.mxroute.com

502 Bad Gateway? Not much fun :-(

BeardyUnixGuy said: 502 Bad Gateway? Not much fun :-(

It's back up. I tried mattermost instead, but rocketchat is the most production-ready of the two I think. Still a little screwy on little things but it works.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited September 2016

@jarland, is the registration process perhaps failing to send out the confirmation email?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I got it.

• Semaphor

• Zero Knowledge
    • Has a free version with 30-days history retention
  • I've been happy with HipChat, but it isn't open source, and the option to self host brings the cost up (significantly if you have more than 10 users), but their hosted version is free for the basic version, without any limits.

Have to test RocketChat as well though...

• Goooooooooddddd I am loving rocketchat-hubot.

https://github.com/RocketChat/hubot-rocketchat

Pretty much gives you the likes of automation for rocket.chat that you are used to in slack.

Anyone mind sending me suggestions for things I can auto-cat-mate?

Thanked by 3jar Maounique Pwner
  • @raindog308 said:

OK, I'm being an ass, but I couldn't resist :-) I totally understand what you're saying, but really, it feels like IRC to me. In fact, having bots chirp in channels feels even more like IRC to me. I don't have anything against slack, though - I've used it and liked it.

>

Slack actually has an IRC gateway you can use instead of the slack client meaning you can use anything that works with IRC too.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @BradND said:

@raindog308 said:

>

Slack actually has an IRC gateway you can use instead of the slack client meaning you can use anything that works with IRC too.

Looks like rocket.chat does as well. It just has to be enabled during the build.

https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat/issues/922

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Whao, wait there a second, we all know that the reason we use slack and the reason its huge is one thing... /giphy

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@pbgben said:
    we all know that the reason we use slack and the reason its huge is one thing... /giphy

@pbgben said:
    Whao, wait there a second, we all know that the reason we use slack and the reason its huge is one thing... /giphy

You're not wrong.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • Is that why GIPHY has been hirng like crazy lately. I should put in an app.