Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

major fiber cut in OVH BHS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

major fiber cut in OVH BHS

2»

Comments

• Since 1 hour my 3 servers on BHS without network. New ETA Canada Midnight

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited March 2013

I doubt they got a color. Hard to have 400 colors and making sure the person finds the right collor.

They probably got a long serial number on it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Damian said: I've spliced fiber! 400 fibers won't be fun.

It's not fun until you've done it in the mud, in the rain ;)

I don't envy anyone with that job.

• @taronyu said: I doubt they got a color. Hard to have 400 colors and making sure the person finds the right collor.

I've personally never seen a bundle of that size, but the color codes typically repeat and are themselves separated out with a buffer tube, color wrap, etc . . .

• Comment by OVH - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 05:10AM

Newark - BHS link are now up and running.

Still waiting on Monreal<>BHS link. Should be quick.

Comment by OVH - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 05:14AM

Montreal - BHS is now up and running.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@mtoledoce said: BHS is now up and running.

Indeed it is.
    Btw this lasted for about 14 hours, but my server never lost network completely, it only lost IPv6, and IPv4 was at about 1 Mbit/sec with 30% packet loss.

• flyfly Member

@rm_ said: Btw this lasted for about 14 hours, but my server never lost network completely, it only lost IPv6, and IPv4 was at about 1 Mbit/sec with 30% packet loss.

because they had a backup link to newark

@fly I know, but some said there was full outage:

@mtoledoce said: Since 1 hour my 3 servers on BHS without network.

• flyfly Member

i feel like that was most likely user error, or appeared to be down due to slow connectivity

• mtoledocemtoledoce Member
    edited March 2013

@fly @rm_ Yep the last hour was a complete blackout, now the 1Gb uplink is on 100Mb but ok. Even I didnt notice the outage early today.

• Yes, fiber cuts are unpleasant. We had one the other day - caused by a mouse or a rat. It chewed through a HDP tube and then through half the cable (not all fibers were dead, only some). Mind you the HDP tube is some very strong plastic and the fiber optic cable contains kevlar and what not... The fiber strands are very small part of the cable and very very tiny.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2013

Kid's stuff!
    Fixing sea cables is something for adults! ;)

edited March 2013

@Amitz said: Fixing sea cables is something for adults! ;)

I don't think it's a sea cable between Montreal and BHS (I am not going to try spelling it).

• AmitzAmitz Member

@rm_ said: I don't think it's a sea cable between Montreal and BHS (I am not going to try spelling it).

Surely there is no sea cable between Montreal and BHS. ;)
    My post was not related to that. But please do not force me to explain it. You'll get the point! :)

• I wonder if they'll ever say what caused that big a%% fiber cut?

14 hour issue is no joke. That's a long time. OVH has clearly too much going over one common fiber run. Yeah diversity would help, but at what cost?

As for all the issues with rats, mice, etc. Plastics are loaded with soy which is yummy to the varmints. Sheething the entire conduit in metal would help lots. Running a barrier of electric charge (think alarm) would notice penetration of the entire thing proactively. Commonly in some places, they pressurize the runs (NYC) to keep water out. That's another quality/state monitor to look at.

Frankly, I think companies have an ongoing money making business having breakage. Probably the end vendor/labor with the job security racket. If they wanted to make fiber safe, they could quite easily and relatively cheaply.

Then again, some of their right of way spots where they are running things is entirely moronic and ill thought.

• everything now backed up according to ovh status page

edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: OVH has clearly too much going over one common fiber run. Yeah diversity would help, but at what cost?

@ftpit said: everything now backed up according to ovh status page

Not "backed up" (as in "they pulled a second major fiber, so a cut won't cause problems anymore");
    but just back up, as in "working again".
    Which is not exactly news to anyone.

• @pubcrawler rats don't actually eat the plastic because they are hungry. But if it happens to be blocking their way (like they get stuck in a conduit or something) they will chew through it. They can also chew through concrete...

• I've seen my share of varmints eating plastic. No idea how they get in conduit other than by chewing through. You know their teeth grow like your fingernails right? They have to chew to prune their teeth. So technically probably not always "eating" the stuff.

Yeah but zapped varmints don't move :) Electrocution works well. Even non lethal shock would keep them probably away from conduit. Electrified netting around perimeter of conduit.

Here we have aerial runs of all sort of telco gear including fiber. Amazed at the job security with repairs. Unions love it.

• Nice working environment with all the water below!

But it's a strange location for a fiber cut, isn't it? Someone had to cut through the entire pipe below that bridge.

• Maybe the pipe broke because of vibrations, etc. Or someone crashed on the bridge.

• looks like maybe somebody trying to copper steal. there is no way a 400 count in a conduit was cut underneath a train bridge. also the cut was left to right or vice versa. That means not the train. looked like scorch marks on the conduit, probably from a saw.

• Having duly reflected on my earlier comment, I have come to the conclusion it wasn't very well thought out.

• Bad location for a fiber run. I know companies do this all the time.

Just imagine stashing runs like that and some "big" event. Say and earthquake. Yeah that is going to be ugly.