Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

major fiber cut in OVH BHS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• The fiber cut location has been identified. More than 400 fibers are impacted so the corrective splicing will take some time.

Alrighty. Me wonders who did digging in the wrong place.

• That'd be quite the digging.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Fail

• Strange large number of fibers, but a single conduit can house quite a bit.

Assuming this is a cut out in the wild elsewhere on the roadways of Canada somewhere.

• I've spliced fiber! 400 fibers won't be fun.

That'll be a hefty fine for the digger, unless they called a locating service. Also unless that's not how it works in Canada.

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2013

just some dumb redneck probably, there's some pretty hilarious fiber cut stories on the level3 blog

• Fiber truly should always be in cement and steel vaults out on the roads. Some crazy points here and there where anything could happen and cause havoc.

• I wonder if there's a point past which it'd be easier to run a whole new set of fiber.

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: Fiber truly should always be in cement and steel vaults out on the roads. Some crazy points here and there where anything could happen and cause havoc.

in a perfect world, yeah.

but it's very expensive laying fiber as it is.

@Magiobiwan said: I wonder if there's a point past which it'd be easier to run a whole new set of fiber.

imma just let you read what you wrote and think about where you are in life.

• @fly link to the L3 fiber cut stories?

• So allow me to present my top ten most annoying and bizarre causes of fiber cuts (with real photos from my team):
    The biggest pain and the most common cause of fiber cuts come from construction companies and excavators that don’t call before they dig! One time we had an outage in California where the excavation company had dug a trench and found a steel pipe about 4 feet underground. Now, you would think that they would have called someone and tried to make sure they weren’t cutting into something dangerous like gas or oil, but no. They jumped down in the trench with a saw and cut through the pipe and into our fiber! What a group of Einsteins!

That blog entry is pure genius and funny @fly. Thanks so much. Made me smile.

• In the Netherlands there is always a orange net around every fiber. And there has to be a person in front of the excavator who is using a shovel to make sure the excavator never cuts a wire.

And this is happening by default over here, apperantly a DC isn't that important.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: Fiber truly should always be in cement and steel vaults out on the roads.

How much do you want to pay for your telecom services? Fiber construction, especially where there is not existing conduit or inner-duct available, is ridiculously expensive already. Multiply that exponentially if you expect roads and streets to be torn up and and fully armored routes engineered for every cable in the ground. You'd puke if you saw our expenses just for "normal" construction.

If you think this is bad, when Cogent first started serving our metro they had a single path aerial run going through farm fields in Iowa etc, . . . tractors took out various segments more than once . . .

• I would @Microlinux.

I know what Verizon's FIOS rollouts cost and that is fiber on poles. They already have the "right of ways" and all. Plenty of destruction to those install with drunk drivers, auto accidents, etc.

I use to laugh about a bike path, former rail line where the fiber is just right there as I pedal... Unvaulted.

Cost aside, it should be hardened since fiber carries just about everything these days. Very dependent culture in all aspects now.

• Besides the price of the cable itself, break, dig, lay each fiber to the correct house, fill, pave and that every place where there has to be a fiber.

• You know, that's why fiber to homes is such an ill fated experiment. It works, but costs are insanely high. Takes lots of corrupt dealings, subsidies, etc.

• @pubcrawler said: Cost aside, it should be hardened since fiber carries just about everything these days.

It would certainly be nice! Now, where did that blank checkbook go . . .

• That blank checkbooks is at the federal reserve, right next to the keys to the printing press.

Wonder if anyone has done a study on US vs. other countries for fiber cuts. Seems some other places have better practices to protect fiber.

Then again, in the US, vast majority of our bridges are overdue for replacements and roads long ago were obsolete and worn.

• Damit... and i just got a dedi on OVH Canada last week...

Any alternatives you guys know?

Budget 40 us dollar per month.

• @qps has some specials recently on dedicated servers... Atlanta I believe.

• picypicy Member

When they will fix this issue?

• lumaluma Member

This is exactly why I love Hydro-excavation and why it is becoming so popular.

I seen those trucks in action and they can dig some nice holes but if they hit a conduit or pipe it won't damage it at all.

• @Damian I'm sure you mean that your fusion splicer spliced fiber and your OTDR helped you test out and map the line

• @picy said: When they will fix this issue?

Ask them, how would we know?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

In Mexico, we are getting fiber to homes, so I don't think that's impossible.

• What? Mexico getting fiber to the home? Are you in some big city or what?

Mind you US views Mexico in media as a failed state and aspiring 3rd world...

• edited March 2013

So you've got 400 fibers on your one hand, 400 on your other... and a splicer in the middle.

How the heck do you know which fiber from the one side goes with which one from the other side...?

EDIT: Got it... there's a color code.

• @George_Fusioned said: EDIT: Got it... there's a color code.

Correct :) Few of it also have numbers.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: @qps has some specials recently on dedicated servers... Atlanta I believe.

Atlanta + Las Vegas :)