Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Farewell epidrive/berry.pw
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Farewell epidrive/berry.pw

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
Dear Clients and Friends:

I have the great pleasure of announcing that Epidrive Web Hosting Solutions and Berry.PW will be combining with the Saint Louis, MO.-based company of New Era Web Solutions, LLC. The new combined organization will lead to not only a larger customer base but more cost effective service offerings. All traffic will be routed through New Era’s main website and all customers will be migrated to New Era’s more robust and efficient hosting platforms.

I want each of you to understand that this type of acquisition is normal in this line of business and the transition of clients from one company to the next will be as seamless as possible to all involved. We understand that change can be troubling or off-putting and we want each of you to be completely confident with our service and support.

As such we will be adding 2 months of service to everyone’s plans as well as customers are able to stay on their legacy pricing or move to New Era’s pricing and packaging if they wish.

The first steps in an acquisition are always tough but we are doing everything we can to make this move as smooth as possible, we recognize that in the past few months under the previous management there have been service outages among other issues. New Era’s management is committed to providing the best product for the best price possible. As such we are moving everyone to better equipment, the first moves will be the cPanel Shared hosting customers. Followed by all the VPS customers from both Epidrive.com and Berry.PW. You will receive new login information for your services as well as the New Era billing system in the coming days. The full migration of each of you will be completed by 9/20/2016.

We hope you will join us in celebrating this major milestone as it provides a tremendously exciting opportunity for you, our clients, and ourselves. We look forward to bringing to you a range of expertise and a quality of service unmatched by any other provider.

Sincerely,

Michael Herring 

New Era Web Solutions, LLC – Director of Technology
Thanked by 1mailcheap

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2016

• Saw this one coming

• So, the clients can stay on their current plans? That's what I understand on that mail.

• Nothing's new here. This guy did the same with Fraphost (sold to Query Foundry, LLC).
    He will be back with new company sooner or later.

• Afternoon everyone!

@yomero yes all clients keep their plans until they want to make a change.

@everyone else feel free to ask questions if you have any.

@Heinz previous management had concerns about their ability to support and provide a good product. Rather than risk failing and potentially just disappearing overnight they decided to look for a purchaser. Services should be much better soon. We have already migrated the shared hosting customers to better equipment, VPS customers are soon to follow.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@Michael_NewEra said:

@yomero yes all clients keep their plans until they want to make a change.

Look at QuadraNet thats the the future.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • If anyone has constructive feedback, ideas or question i will be happy to chat. Feel free to PM me.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I don't know New Era, but it seems to me @Michael_NewEra is doing the right thing here. You get to keep your plans, and will be eventually migrated to better hardware.

Thanked by 2kkrajk ntlx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well only the future will tell, most providers drop these plans.

• You can take this to the bank, All customers can keep their plans. I wont be forcing changes. I will however advertise and market the value of the product we offer. If at anytime you don't see a plan that fits you, contact us we will make one.

• @raindog308 said:
    I don't know New Era, but it seems to me @Michael_NewEra is doing the right thing here. You get to keep your plans, and will be eventually migrated to better hardware.

You know what, it's just occurred to me that I never did get that plan you gifted me.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@GCat said:
    Saw this one coming

Weren't they up for sale on WHT months ago or am I thinking of someone else?

There's been a few providers up there in the past few months.

Francisco

Thanked by 1GCat
  • edited September 2016

@Francisco Yes, you probably saw the listing.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Michael_NewEra said:
    @Francisco Yes, you probably saw the listing.

Good stuff, I lose track of time these days.

Welcome :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @Michael_NewEra said:
    Afternoon everyone!

Just out of curiosity, is your website newera.host? There's a lot of Lorem ipsum going on there.

• @Saragoldfarb yes thats us, I Pm'd you. not sure where you are seeing that.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • All links to that should be removed. This is a placeholder site until i finish the real design in the next two weeks. If anyone else has feedback or sees any issues let me know! I appreciate it.

• @Foul said:
    http://newera.host/promotions.php

Nice Lorem ipsum!

Thanked by 2Foul tux
  • And no SSL in 2016, sad.

Thanked by 2joepie91 yomero
  • TheOnlyDK said: And no SSL in 2016, sad.

Well, it has ssl, but isn't for that domain =P

Anyway, I will be worried only if there is no ssl in the client area when they start selling (or they already started?)

• Hey folks, yes currently no ssl installed there. Two reasons behind this. Comodo is verifying our business credentials and location. Aside from that I thought it was important to start migration of client services to equipment that actuality works so they receive what they have/are paying for. Which I'm sure you will all agree is important and the right thing to do. Our full site will be made available in the next week's the one that's up is currently a place holder as stated earlier.

• Michael_NewEra said: yes currently no ssl installed there

the correct thing would be to use letsencrypt or something until you get your greenbar EV cert

• benjamin74benjamin74 Member
    edited September 2016

Weirdly I just received a "migration notification" email for one of my VPS but didn't even get an email about the company change...

Thus when I received this email from New Era I was like "wtf is this guy talking about"...

Now I received a notification of migration to a new IP, without even mentioning what the old ip was... no clue what they really changed in the end...

I don't even have a clue as to what my SolusVM control panel URL is... and it doesn't seem accessible from the clientarea

• Reminds me of getkvm

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Didn't know Berry or it was part of epidrive; but the website looks really cute!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

yomero said: Anyway, I will be worried only if there is no ssl in the client area when they start selling (or they already started?)

TLS is needed site-wide, not just for the client area.

hzr said: the correct thing would be to use letsencrypt or something until you get your greenbar EV cert

Precisely that.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • joepie91 said: TLS is needed site-wide

Ok, I get your point (cookies/session leaks?). But if the client area is in another domain... "maybe" isn't needed. No idea in this particular case.

Anyway, this is offtopic and going too far technical.

He needs TLS, period =P

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

yomero said: Ok, I get your point (cookies/session leaks?). But if the client area is in another domain... "maybe" isn't needed. No idea in this particular case.

The problem is bigger than that. Some reasons why it's necessary site-wide, include but are not limited to:

1. An attacker can MITM the frontpage of the site, and replace the target of a login form, whereas that form would normally point at clients.*. The user thinks they're on the real site, and get phished.
    2. An attacker learns of the exact hosting plan that a customer has just signed up for, by analyzing their navigation on the site, and uses this information to mount an attack that is only effective on the specific service that the customer bought.

Trying to partition information into "sensitive" and "non-sensitive" information doesn't work, because your distinction between the two is probably going to be different than that of somebody else, and you're not in the position to decide somebody's definition of "sensitive" for them.

That is why TLS is needed site-wide, regardless of what the content is.

Thanked by 2yomero vimalware
  • joepie91 said: The problem is bigger than that

I get it. Unfortunately, a lot of popular sites still do this (Steam is the first one in my mind... Newegg the second).