Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM Detroit Closure - ErrantWeb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM Detroit Closure - ErrantWeb

DamianDamian Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

Reposting it here to ensure that all people on the service get notified, since there's almost no notification time:

Hello,

If you have a service from ErrantWeb at Detroit on our
KVM services your VPS will be going offline shortly. Please
contact us AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. We have attempted to
make contact with all current VPS holders on this node.

Please check your support tickets and emails. We are planning
on removing the server from the datacenter around the
27th. If you do not contact us back you will get credit on 
your account and your service terminated.

Data is transferable to our other nodes. Our locations
with room:

Los Angeles OpenVZ
Chicago KVM
Detroit OpenVZ

PLEASE CONTACT ASAP TO AVOID DATA LOSS!
This is only for customers on our KVM Detroit Node SSD!

Regards,
ErrantWeb

Comments

• Well, if you consider that location had very little BW quotas, maybe can be a good chance to get your vps at another location. Unless you have a good reason to stay at Detroit or the bw is enough :P

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

Jesus, -1 for this.

If you have space on other nodes then move your customer data before switching off in under 24 hours.

What a dick head move.

• @AnthonySmith said: 24 hours.

Didn't read that part =S

• @AnthonySmith said: in under 24 hours.

The original notice I received was for April 1st...

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2013

@Damian said: April 1st...

What'a joke.

It reads as:

Dear undervalued customer,

Here is almost no notice I will be destroying your data, I will make it your fault if you don't respond in a stupid time frame.

I could save your data but I wont.

No real reason.

Your loving host.

• Good.

Travis (or whatever the guy running ErrantWeb's name is again) tried to sell me a crappy SATA dedi, I said it wouldn't work out due to a lack of funds and he made it look like I was trying to fraudulently get the server. :|

• Easy kids, wasn't meant to be turned into a let's-kick-Travis-fest....

• Dammit but I had my tar warming up!

@Damian you expected something different posting that hostrail style exit 1 ?

• @Shane_Elmore said: Travis (or whatever the guy running ErrantWeb's name is again) tried to sell me a crappy SATA dedi, I said it wouldn't work out due to a lack of funds and he made it look like I was trying to fraudulently get the server. :|

Sure, blame the use of SATA for your lack of funds

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited March 2013

@MrObvious said: Dammit but I had my tar warming up!

Sigh, i already had a bag of feathers here

OT:
    [EDIT]
    My apologies, misread it

• I had the signs that said Tar the douchebag! you guys take all the fun out of things.

• @joodle said: Sigh, i already had a bag of feathers here

Guess I'll have to watch a movie instead then /popcorn

• You know how expensive it is these days to try and fire up a giant vat of tar?

• Why in the world the sudden closure?

Hey credit given for at least keeping the situation under wraps and not getting kicked on here already.

• I would store the vzdumps on a cheap storage vps, dedi or even a different node with spare space...

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@Jack - dd LVM volume into file (img, iso or raw) and gzip it..?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

This is KVM.
    Jack beat me to it.

• @Jack - Oh common, same principal :P

• Pinged the owner through e-mails for this thread for some further clarification, known him for years, he's not a one-shot host and these seems unlike him, possibly a dispute with the provider? Though OpenVZ Detroit stays, which as I assume, is the same location/dc.

I'd also assume he'd put the contents of the node somewhere for people to take if needed, as I recall, he's set servers up for testing in his basement. :)

• edited March 2013

I (and probably every customer too) got the email on:

March 15th, 2013

We were wondering if it would be possible to move you to a OpenVZ node or our Chicago KVM node. We are currently looking at removing our DET KVM1 node from production.

I never had so much time to migrate.
    Travis has also cancelled all the invoices for the current billing cycle.
    While it is a forced migration, it is certainly the best one I have been involved in.
    Plenty of time, credit, many reminders and good support.

@AnthonySmith you should stop bashing everyone when you know nothing about.

• @hostingwizard_net said: I never had so much time to migrate.

The original email gave a target date of April 1st. Some people wait til the last moment.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@Damian said: The original email gave a target date of April 1st. Some people wait til the last moment.

And some people maybe thought it was a joke?

• @vedran said: And some people maybe thought it was a joke?

Perhaps. TBH, I don't even have Detroit KVM service, but I keep getting emails for this and Chicago, where I don't have service either.

I have Detroit OVZ service. WHMCS and Solus both have tools that can narrow down their mass mail audience to only the affected users; not sure why they're not being used.

• @Damian can't see how a provider would joke about a node going south, though I forsee a funny pony prank from the lovely Francisco. (I know he'll see this..)

Mass Mailing has been funny in the past to my recollection, though everything is fine now so far.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

Travis (or whatever the guy running ErrantWeb's name is again)

the same whatever the guy who has EdgeVPS and HostLadder on his resume.

LowEndAdmin said:

So Travis, a few weeks after selling HostLadder, started up EdgeVPS, who was about to have “a great run with it”, and had hoped to be the next BuyVM. Well, a few months down the track, EdgeVPS was sold to ThunderCloudGames, which is a division of CyberLynk Network, Inc. This kind of pump-and-run seems to be quite common on LowEndBox — build a large customer base with low price, sell it to some other company, and then restart the process again. Pretty much fitting into Daniel’s description of Travis here.
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/dead-pool-augustseptember-2011/

and

Daniel said "Travis (EdgeVPS) actually said somewhere a few weeks ago, that his aim is to make new companies, then sell them over and over again, and hopes to make over $100k from it. I have a screenshot somewhere. He has no technical knowledge, infact 5 providers on LeB have me on Skype, and have me on speed dial regarding things such as "turning off OpenVZ"

LowEndAdmin said "Yeah that's pretty much how I understand their business model. They are also one of few providers that keep on sending me the same emails again and again trying to get listed. I am not surprised that LowEndBox.com is just one part of their pump and dump strategy."

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2084

• Oh lookie, LowEndAdmin... Speaking about the reality of what goes on here.

Those were the days..

@hostingwizard_net said: I (and probably every customer too) got the email on:

March 15th, 2013

If that is the case the fair enough and I apologise if he has given 2 weeks notice, from the context and title of this thread it reads like it was only sent today though.