Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What email delivering service are you using for your apps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What email delivering service are you using for your apps?

I am thinking of moving all my apps emails to sparkpost. How are these services in general? Do emails go to spam because of IP blacklists? Which service do you recommend?

Comments

• My project is small so originally it was just using the mail function but move I've moved to an external mail server (XVMLabs) with 7 IPv4 that rotates for $3/yr

• Mailgun

• @OpticalSwoosh said:
    My project is small so originally it was just using the mail function but move I've moved to an external mail server (XVMLabs) with 7 IPv4 that rotates for $3/yr

It doesn't seem to be an email delivering service.

@tommy said:
    Mailgun

Does it have problems in delivery and ip blacklists?

• @drdrake said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    My project is small so originally it was just using the mail function but move I've moved to an external mail server (XVMLabs) with 7 IPv4 that rotates for $3/yr

It doesn't seem to be an email delivering service.

@tommy said:
    Mailgun

Does it have problems in delivery and ip blacklists?

It delivers email and it's a service that all my programs use.

• Amazon SES. Haven't encountered any delivery failures (other than invalid emails...) and makes it really simple to setup DKIM signing.

• For apps I develop, I use Mailgun for testing. For Blesta, I use MXRoute (it's <50 emails a month so I guess it's fine).

• I use ssmtp with Sendgrid on all my servers...I don't deliver that much mail so their free plan works out great for me :).

• I use sparkpost, it's great.
    But I sad about lack of bouncing email feature.
    Yeah I know i need to use the api...

• I also use Mailgun and you can check if your sending IP is blacklisted by sending an email to mail-tester.com. At worst, it could be listed in one RBL but they'll change your IP if you ask them provided you have a credit card added to the account and a good sending history.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited September 2016

Amazon SES > Sendgrid > Sparkpost

That is in order of reliability, ease of use and cost/benefit.

For smaller projects, I use the free tier of Sendgrid & Sparkpost. They have both worked out quite well for me.

But I have stuck with SES for mission critical stuff that requires assured & timely delivery of emails because (1) most transactional email providers rely on Amazon infrastructure at some level, and (2) I'd rather shout at someone at Amazon in case of an issue, as they are more likely to be proactive in sorting issues out, and their sales / tech support has never let me down. Ever.

Thanked by 1Hayashima
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@drdrake said:
    I am thinking of moving all my apps emails to sparkpost. How are these services in general? Do emails go to spam because of IP blacklists? Which service do you recommend?

Hello there,

You can take a look at our solutions from here: https://www.hetnix.com/mail-server-hosting.xml

Thank you.

• mailgun

• @K4Y5 said:
    Amazon SES > Sendgrid > Sparkpost

For smaller projects, I use the free tier of Sendgrid & Sparkpost. They have both worked out quite well for me.

But I have stuck with SES for mission critical stuff that requires assured & timely delivery of emails because (1) most transactional email providers rely on Amazon infrastructure at some level, and (2) I'd rather shout at someone at Amazon in case of an issue, as they are more likely to be proactive in sorting issues out, and their sales / tech support has never let me down. Ever.
    @Dormeo said:
    I use sparkpost, it's great.
    But I sad about lack of bouncing email feature.
    Yeah I know i need to use the api...

Have you ever had problems with emails going to spam? I send only <200 emails in a month but failures in sending could cost me more than 100$ for a failed email.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

K4Y5 said: Amazon SES > Sendgrid > Sparkpost

This is the exact setup we run and it works great.

• Update: Sendgrid just deactivated my account because I looked "suspicious". I entered my real name, my country, real phone and domain email, everything was fine. I sent them one email asking the real reasons why they didn't accept me and this is what i got:

`Hi there,

Unfortunately we are not able to provide information beyond the fact that we were not able to provision the account.

We wish you the best moving forward.`

Are they declining me because of my country? I saw that my country was not listed in the country list when you activate 2 step authentication.

• Iv'e tried most transactional email providers, the worst one i have used was Sparkpost the only good thing they give you 100k email's for free but deliverability to Hotmail was a joke always in the junk's.

Sendgird not bad free plan 12k email's, deliverability is better than Sparkpost, which did manage to get to the inbox on Hotmail but the delay were a joke most days 15 mins delays.

Mailgun not used much but worked fine for the limited testing i did on it.

Amazon Ses which i use for my own domain's and domain's of important clients i host for, out of the other transactional email provider this one has been the best no issue.

The deliverability issue on Sendgird and Sparkpost could of probable be fixed by asking support to be assigned a different sending ip

• @Razza said:
    Iv'e tried most transactional email providers, the worst one i have used was Sparkpost the only good thing they give you 100k email's for free but deliverability to Hotmail was a joke always in the junk's.

How can you see that? Is there a service that does monitoring? Also what about google and yahoo?

• I am testing Mailjet with a project right now...I can't say much about it yet, but seems like a decent service so far.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited September 2016

@drdrake It was complaints from clients i host for saying mail they send to Hotmail going into junks and the receiving person of the email's were complaining to them who complained to me.

The other way i noted it emails such server notification from my server sent to my Hotmail address via Sparkpost all way ended in junk's, sent via Amazon Ses inbox all the time, ever since i moved all stuff to Amazon Ses never had a complaint from any of my cleint's

• @Razza said:
    @drdrake It was complaints from clients i host for saying mail they send to Hotmail going into junks and the receiving person of the email's were complaining to them who complained to me.

The other way i noted it emails such server notification from my server sent to my Hotmail address via Sparkpost all way ended in junk's, sent via Amazon Ses inbox all the time, ever since i moved all stuff to Amazon Ses never had a complaint from any of my cleint's

Just to get an idea, how many email addresses do you host and how much do you pay? I am thinking of doing the same with my clients.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited September 2016

@drdrake I don't know how many email account's i hosted its not like Amazon ses change per email address anyway, i work with a small web developer, i got about 30 ecommerce websites on my server all using my Amazon Ses account.

The monthly number of email sent via Amazon Ses is around 220k at Amazon Ses prices that would be $22 Usd but the real cost is a little higher as Amazon Web Services change you bandwidth leaveing there network

• @Razza said:
    @drdrake I don't know how many email account's i hosted its not like Amazon ses change per email address anyway, i work with a small web developer, i got about 30 ecommerce websites on my server all using my Amazon Ses account.

The monthly number of email sent via Amazon Ses is around 220k at Amazon Ses prices that would be $22 Usd but the real cost is a little higher as Amazon Web Services change you bandwidth leaveing there network

You use it only to send emails from the applications like orders, password recoveries and stuff like that?

• ktkt Member, Host Rep

We've noticed delays in sending with SendGrid to be very random, they also have IPs blacklisted so we switched over to Amazon SES. This definitely works out cheaper and no issues thus far.

• Been using mailgun for about a year sending about 15,000 messages a month and not had any issues.

• drdrake said: You use it only to send emails from the applications like orders, password recoveries and stuff like that?

Mainly yes, But i do use Amazon Ses for my own personal domain email's too, the truth be told i don't think they mind what kind of email you are sending as long as its not unsolicited spam or other low quality email's.

• @Razza said:

drdrake said: You use it only to send emails from the applications like orders, password recoveries and stuff like that?

Mainly yes, But i do use Amazon Ses for my own personal domain email's too, the truth be told i don't think they mind what kind of email you are sending as long as its not unsolicited spam or other low quality email's.

Can you use it for receiving emails?

@ollietrex said:
    Been using mailgun for about a year sending about 15,000 messages a month and not had any issues.

Any spam rate?

• @kt said:
    We've noticed delays in sending with SendGrid to be very random, they also have IPs blacklisted so we switched over to Amazon SES. This definitely works out cheaper and no issues thus far.

You don't recommend sendgrid?

• @ollietrex said:
    Been using mailgun for about a year sending about 15,000 messages a month and not had any issues.

Any spam rate?

We have not had and compliants of non delivery from our clients and they would be pretty hot on our heals if people were not getting emails.

• drdrake said: Can you use it for receiving emails?

Yes, you can get Amazon SES to receive mail for your domain and do things such as get it to post it to a http endpoint, but your not going to get webmail on SES.

More info on receiving at Amazon SES http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/receiving-email.html

• I use the php mail function, I'm cheap