Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a non-LEB server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a non-LEB server?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited March 2013 in General

As the title says, tell us if you run a non-LEB server.

I have a laptop running Windows Server 2003 (from my brother's MSDN account he shares with me) for script testing purposes, which I highly don't consider a server, but it works for what I need. It's accessible via the network only, considering I only have a 2Mbit uplink from Bright House Networks.

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

Home server: Dual core 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM, 2x 2TB Seagate barracuda :P

Proxmox running mediaserver (Linux), Workstation (Windows) and Teamspeak music box (Linux)

20mbit uplink ^.^

• OllieOllie Member

Home Server: Dual core 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM, 1x 250GB SATA2 :P

• OllieOllie Member
    edited March 2013

Oh yes an AWS micro instance (free for one year).

• Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
    edited March 2013

Suppose I should post my laptop's specs:
    AMD Athlon II x2 @ 1.9GHz
    160GB internal SATA HDD
    250GB external SATA/USB HDD (not plugged in all the time)
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    2Mbit uplink on Bright House Networks (Road Runner)

Yeah, it's an older laptop.

• OllieOllie Member
    edited March 2013

My laptop:
    Intel core i3 4x 2.2Ghz
    350GB Internal SSD
    4GB DDR3 EAM
    2Mbit uplink (Virgin Media)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

I do all sorts of tests, etc. on different Linux OS's on my desktop using Virtualbox.
    Specs:
    -AMD FX8350 8-Core 4.2GHz CPU
    -16GB RAM
    -300GB WD VelociRaptor (10K RPM)
    -GTX 550Ti 2GB (Monitors 1&2) and Radeon HD 5770 1GB (Monitor 3)
    -60M down/10M up Comcast Cable internet

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Local server: 2x L5420, 16GB ECC, 4x 1TB RAID10.

Runs KVM instances for teachers.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

Home server:

nothing special

HP Dl380 G4

6 x 10k Drives

http://cl.ly/image/1p2r3i2W2m2i

Ignore all the junk around it

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OMG DepotVPS_Shane is back.

What's up Shane?

• Local server: 2x L5420, 16GB ECC, 4x 1TB RAID10

is that supermicro X7DCA-L? Any raid controller?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@goexodus said: is that supermicro X7DCA-L? Any raid controller?

It's a Dell 2950. Just their little on-board controller. Nothing fancy, but given the small amount of data flowing on a regular basis it's not bad.

• For myself? No. My homeservers are now all Raspberry Pi's. If you count the stuff I do for clients, then yes, I manage multiple datacenters full of powerfull (dell/hp) hardware running either KVM, VMWare or Red Hat. Currently I have 6 passes, and for 5 other DC's I'm on the "contact list". Not only the software side is done, last night I also hung up 25 new DL370 G6's, each with 8 900GB 10K SAS disks, 2 XEON X5650 (2.66GHz/6-core/12MB/95W) and 2 10Gbit NIC's... They needed some storage they said...

• @Raymii

Are those Pi's worth the money for home servers? Might be interesting.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

OMG!
    Is SHANE!!!
    Nice to see you

On topic, I have a dedi at Wholesale internet

• @raindog308: Not much. Gotta go to Office Depot today to pick up a new computer chair (my old one from 2006 or so broke into pieces. Didn't feel like assembling it so we paid $8 for assembly. :P)

Yeah, I wonder if they (Rasberry Pi's) are. I would run them publicly if Bright House Networks wasn't a freaking scam and charging ~$70/mo for good downlink but crappy uplink (30Mbit down, 2Mbit up).

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2013

RaspberryPi 512mb with 16gb class10 card and 1tb usb green drive. Primarily for backups, duplicity/s3cmd too, dns cache, file server, time machine, and php development. Also pretty cool considering the UPS runtime potential.

• @taronyu said: Are those Pi's worth the money for home servers? Might be interesting.

@taronyu for my usage, yes. 1 usb print sharing box, 1 with a big HDD for backups and storage, and two for testing and coding.

• wdqwdq Member

I have a pretty standard home server which I primarily use for backup and long term storage. It has an Intel Core i3-2120, 16GB of RAM, 1x64GB SSD, 2x500GB drives, and 1x2TB drive. It's not a whole lot but it gets the job done. It runs XenServer right now but I'm looking in to moving it over to KVM.

• What's everyone using all this RAM for at home?

• IshaqIshaq Member

Multiple of mine are non LEB.

• Servers, yeah have a few stacks of them lingering around the homestead. Keep them if needed / long term scrap. Most of the big iron (larger RAM, noisy fans, etc.) aren't being used these days.

What am I running live? Several old notebooks. Nothing special. Several Atom based systems.
    Several ARM based servers.

Use everything for storage. Some systems have special tasks. Have one for recording selective AV content. Another just for big stupid backup cron jobs. Bunch of random USB drives.

Have a beefy L5420 on the workbench in my other building with Proxmox. It's a testing environment mainly.

Enjoying the ARM solutions, the low power, small form factor, etc. Just need more of those that support real drive interfaces like SATA.

• 11x 6sync vms

• @jarland said: 2x L5420, 16GB ECC, 4x 1TB RAID10.

Hardware or Software raid?

• Its really a silly question if people are going to be posting their home laptop and desktop specs. I think this should only be for hardware that is within a datacenter.

• Dell PowerEdge 2950 w/ 2x Xeon X5355's @2.66GHz, 16GB RAM, 6x 73GB 15k SAS drives in RAID 5, PERC 5/i RAID card, 4x Insanely loud fans.

@BenND said: Its really a silly question if people are going to be posting their home laptop and desktop specs. I think this should only be for hardware that is within a datacenter

Well I have several PCs that are "servers" at home - they truly are servers in that there's no desktop usage. They serve database and files. And of course non-LEB VPSes.

But laptops...?

• Anything can be a server @raindog308.

I have 200Mhz MIPs based solutions doing server tasks. Heck look at Raspberry Pi's and all people using them for all sorts of stuff.

That said, a laptop/notebook is somewhat more capable typically -- drive ports and expansion options.

Sure, but I think it's safe to assume a laptop is not a sever unless people say they're using a laptop as a server.

• When you run Linux, the separation between a server and non server isn't really there.

Done virtualization in the past on notebooks. Container running another OS doing server stuff, while using other OS install to do desktop tasks.

I mean aside from crazy RAID, a notebook can do whatever a server can do and typically more. Just lacks the expansion for drives, the faster processors and the huge RAM amounts. Long term, only the drive expansion will remain a problem. Ideally, companies start building docking stations to get around that. :)

• emgemg Veteran
    edited March 2013

At home, I run a headless original PowerPC Mac MIni with 4.5 Tbytes of attached firewire storage. A friend gave it to me. He didn't want it, even after I explained how easy it would be to configure as a server in his home. It is small and silent, and has been 100% reliable since I set it up many years ago.