Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HETZNER for Professional Website, Is it going to be BAD ??? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HETZNER for Professional Website, Is it going to be BAD ???

2»

Comments

• TionTion Member
    edited August 2016

@JohnShell said:
    I am running my websites on a Managed VPS with WiredTree but want to go for dedicated specifically because they don't offer IPV6 on their any service. It cost me the like a dedicated server and as i am going to get cPanel, so management will not be hard for me.

Looking at how Hostdime charges $100 more per month while providing weaker hardware they could've at least explained on their website what "Fully Managed" even means.

There is a big difference between doing initial setup and help the client when some basic software questions arise and having a tech actively check the server a couple of times a month and keep the system up to date.

You should clarify this before ordering.

• I truly don't understand people worrying of downtime and reliability for their important business so much, but same time considering offers without redundancy for the harddisk and don't spending thoughts on backup strategies at all.

I'd rather go for 30€ hetzner auction boxes with two desktop grade hdds for raid1 in it than a >100$ server from XYZ with a single disk (whether managed or not).

make sure to understand: there will be downtime in the worst case regardless which provider you choose.

it is up to you to be prepared for that and be able to keep that downtime short with fallback options you setup before if your business isn't capable of withstand some hours without your website.

• @Falzo said:
    I truly don't understand people worrying of downtime and reliability for their important business so much, but same time considering offers without redundancy for the harddisk and don't spending thoughts on backup strategies at all.

This would be why most of us are suggesting geographically redundant anycast - you dont just have a backup of the data - if anything goes down the requests will be served from the next nearest host, and as a bonus the requester always gets served from a server close to them reducing latency.

• @perryoo11 said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@perryoo11 said:
    What kind of specs are u looking for

@ssdblaze a good dedicated server with decent network speed.

Intel xeon e3v2/3 16 gig ram 500 gig ssd.
    Just at ssdblaze.com

80 per month

Fuck off.

Mad bro?

Yes you spamming a overpriced provider, when there is better out there

• @mycosys said:

yes indeed, that makes a proper setup with fallback possibilities on problems.
    yet I wouldn't work with single disk setups even then ;-)

• I prefer any location except USA, that's another reason i'm liking HETZNER .... and yes i don't need management service ... so with a backup is HETZNER is good to go ?

• @OpticalSwoosh said:

@perryoo11 said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@perryoo11 said:
    What kind of specs are u looking for

@ssdblaze a good dedicated server with decent network speed.

Intel xeon e3v2/3 16 gig ram 500 gig ssd.
    Just at ssdblaze.com

80 per month

Fuck off.

Mad bro?

Yes you spamming a overpriced provider, when there is better out there

Doesn't have to be overpriced. each providers choice. You tried them before blaming?

• perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited August 2016

. double post

• @Ishaq why my poll is not working ?

• @JohnShell said:
    I prefer any location except USA, that's another reason i'm liking HETZNER .... and yes i don't need management service ... so with a backup is HETZNER is good to go ?

Cater to your audience not your own likes.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • JohnShell said: Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v5

Quad-Core Skylake
    Hyper-Threading Technology
    RAM: 64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    Hard Drive: 2 x 480 GB SATA 6 Gb/s SSD (Software-RAID 1)

JohnShell said: Price: $93.93 USD /Month

Management Type: Unamanaged

That seems to be the PX61-SSD, no? How did you get a price of $93.93? I see it listed as € 59.00 which is ~ USD 66 (plus setup fee).

• @zeitgeist said:

JohnShell said: Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v5

Quad-Core Skylake
    Hyper-Threading Technology
    RAM: 64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    Hard Drive: 2 x 480 GB SATA 6 Gb/s SSD (Software-RAID 1)

JohnShell said: Price: $93.93 USD /Month

Management Type: Unamanaged

That seems to be the PX61-SSD, no? How did you get a price of $93.93? I see it listed as € 59.00 which is ~ USD 66 (plus setup fee).

You missed the cPanel part i think ...

• JohnShellJohnShell Member
    edited August 2016

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@JohnShell said:
    I prefer any location except USA, that's another reason i'm liking HETZNER .... and yes i don't need management service ... so with a backup is HETZNER is good to go ?

USA is no way better for websites, which receive DMCA complain regularly, is it ?

• @JohnShell said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@JohnShell said:

USA is no way better for websites, which receive DMCA complain regularly, is it ?

You are hosting illegal stuff? That is probably something you need to mention because Hetzner won't deal with too much of that

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • i know about Hetzner abuse action enough ... copyrighted content hosting and sharing is illegal in USA but there are lot of website hosted else where fine with it ... and everyone under Cloudflare to hide original host ... it's nothing new but to be in safe side getting hosted out of USA is better ...

• @JohnShell said:
    i know about Hetzner abuse action enough ... copyrighted content hosting and sharing is illegal in USA but there are lot of website hosted else where fine with it ... and everyone under Cloudflare to hide original host ... it's nothing new but to be in safe side getting hosted out of USA is better ...

So to get to the original point you are hosting illegal material. You want a cheap server that allows illegal content? Or one in a country that allows copyright that has good connection to the US? Good luck, can't wait

• @OpticalSwoosh again i'm not hosting illegal content, just sharing the sources which is illegal too but isn't the same thing ...

• If you want just IPv6 -- go get a VPS with IPv6 and build a reverse proxy.

If you want better support, go with the fully managed server.

If you want better performance, go with hetzner.

If you want better stability, go with other's plan and split the money into multiple providers to build a distributed website.

Thanked by 1JasperNL
  • @JohnShell said:
    @OpticalSwoosh again i'm not hosting illegal content, just sharing the sources which is illegal too but isn't the same thing ...

Good luck with your journey. I'll see you on TorrentFreak soon with a gofundme

• @OpticalSwoosh ah, thanks for worrying about me ... you should understand if WiredTree can allow me what i am doing then any one can do it easily ...

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited August 2016

@JohnShell said:
    i know about Hetzner abuse action enough ... copyrighted content hosting and sharing is illegal in USA but there are lot of website hosted else where fine with it ... and everyone under Cloudflare to hide original host ... it's nothing new but to be in safe side getting hosted out of USA is better ...

Cloudflare hides your info/origin from the public but should a copyrighted company want to know your main IP details - Cloudflare (US Company) will happily hand them over. Germany isn't as safe as you may think and that leaves only countries like Romania where I believe they are more likely to not be bothered as much?

• LeeLee Veteran

JohnShell said: @OpticalSwoosh ah, thanks for worrying about me ... you should understand if WiredTree can allow me what i am doing then any one can do it easily ...

What one provider allows is not an indication of what another will. You should contact them and explain what is you are going to host and let them tell you their thoughts on it, that way you will know.

I have used them for years and they are good, however from what I have seen on these forums and others, if you are hosting material that encourages DMCA on a regular basis they will terminate your service.

• Do I remember wrong? There was a post here on LET last week or so saying Hetzner is introducing DDos protection to customers instead of nullrouting customers.

• @Nomad said:
    Do I remember wrong? There was a post here on LET last week or so saying Hetzner is introducing DDos protection to customers instead of nullrouting customers.

That's great ... contacted HETZNER about what i'm going to do on the server, let's see what they reply ...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

Nomad said: Do I remember wrong? There was a post here on LET last week or so saying Hetzner is introducing DDos protection to customers instead of nullrouting customers.

Yup, they have been announcing it for a while now but don't miss-interpret that to mean anything but they will provide basic protection. They won't tank large scale attacks for you.

• seafile.de using hetzner

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:

Nomad said: Do I remember wrong? There was a post here on LET last week or so saying Hetzner is introducing DDos protection to customers instead of nullrouting customers.

Yup, they have been announcing it for a while now but don't miss-interpret that to mean anything but they will provide basic protection. They won't tank large scale attacks for you.

It has been announced around 2 weeks ago. A friend of mine did already some tests - it's actually really basic, no real udp filtering and tcp drops under larger attacks.

Hetzner may targets customers which only receive low attacks below 2-3mpps.

• JohnShell said: and everyone under Cloudflare to hide original host

Complaints still come through. When people talk about CloudFail like this, it should raise some concerns. What kind of site do you have, something hosting the latest movies?