Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HETZNER for Professional Website, Is it going to be BAD ???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HETZNER for Professional Website, Is it going to be BAD ???

Hello,

As all of you already know Hetzner offers servers for insane price, so i was thinking about using Hetzner server for my main websites which generate all of the revenue i have right now.

So my questions are:

• Is it fine going with them ?
  • Is their network is good enough for websites visited by peoples from different countries ?
  • Is their network is fine as reputed provider's network of USA, UK, CANADA ?
  • Is it going to be risky for any specific reason ?

please let me know your opinion ...

Thanks.

Poll not found

Comments

• no when hetzner pops you out of network your doomed

• @perryoo11 said:
      no when hetzner pops you out of network your doomed

Why will they do so ?

• @JohnShell said:

@perryoo11 said:

Why will they do so ?

when your a target of a ddos youll get null routed that costs long time before that is resolved. but speed overall is enough.

• @perryoo11 said:

@JohnShell said:

@perryoo11 said:

Why will they do so ?

when your a target of a ddos youll get null routed that costs long time before that is resolved. but speed overall is enough.

That's look like a pretty big issue though i use Cloudflare for all of my website .... let's see what other's think ... Thanks for your opinion

• How much revenue does your site even generate?

• @OpticalSwoosh said:
      How much revenue does your site even generate?

More than $1000.00 USD per month

• but in my case to clear up it is possible but beware of the network.
      backup backup backup thats all

Thanked by 1JohnShell
    • @JohnShell said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
      How much revenue does your site even generate?

More than $1000.00 USD per month

Then spend a decent amount of that on 3 servers that have RAID, backups and are dotted around your market areas so it reduces latency for your users

• @OpticalSwoosh you mean, 3 servers in 3 different location ? Isn't that going to cost me $500.00 USD ?

• @JohnShell said:
      @OpticalSwoosh you mean, 3 servers in 3 different location ? Isn't that going to cost me $500.00 USD ?

Nope. How many visitors do you have and where are the 3 biggest locations of which they are from?

• For such kind of stupid question the only thing to do is vote no

Thanked by 3Falzo netomx drdrake
    • @OpticalSwoosh said:

@JohnShell said:
      @OpticalSwoosh you mean, 3 servers in 3 different location ? Isn't that going to cost me $500.00 USD ?

Nope. How many visitors do you have and where are the 3 biggest locations of which they are from?

I have near 100000 Unique Visitor Daily on my websites and top countries are: USA, UK, INDIA, PHILIPPINES, CANADA ... thanks

• @Die_Quelle said:
      For such kind of stupid question the only thing to do is vote no

How do you take it as a stupid question, when someone is not much aware about providers ?

• @JohnShell said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@JohnShell said:

I have near 100000 Unique Visitor Daily on my websites and top countries are: USA, UK, INDIA, PHILIPPINES, CANADA ... thanks

So a nice cheap server in the US/Canada will serve 2 of them.

OVH France will do UK

Then maybe a location that does India/Philippines I'm not sure what would be best for those locations as I don't have a map handy

• @OpticalSwoosh you would like to recommend which providers for USA/CANADA ?

• What kind of specs are u looking for

@ssdblaze a good dedicated server with decent network speed.

Intel xeon e3v2/3 16 gig ram 500 gig ssd.
      Just at ssdblaze.com

80 per month

• @perryoo11 said:
      What kind of specs are u looking for

Just at ssdblaze.com

80 per month

Fuck off.

I'd go OVH or maybe something cheap and reliable. If you need big specs and low price i would go wholesaleinternet. If you want something fairly standard a ColoCrossing E3 works for $49. Or if you want cheap then Dacentec or delimiter

• @OpticalSwoosh said:

@perryoo11 said:
      What kind of specs are u looking for

Just at ssdblaze.com

80 per month

Fuck off.

Mad bro?

• I'd look at OVH or their SoYouStart brand rather than Kimsufi, they're decent although OVH's main brand servers have more firewall config available. Could easily get one in France & one in Canada if you wanted to load balance.

• I have used Hetzner for 18 months now, and they are the best. Always up, servers is just working. But backup is important, so I take exports of my Hyper-V servers, first on the second disk in the server. From there to another Hetzner server with 4 x 4 TB disks. There I have a local archive. And from the first server export backups is transferred to my home server. Mix the schedule up a little and I have a very good backup plan.

• JasperNLJasperNL Member
      edited August 2016

How professional is professional? Their network is great and hardware is very good for the price. Support is fair.
      However the HDDs are not of "enterprise quality" and hardware failure is likely, so you should keep that in mind. They do replace broken HDDs so thats not the issue. You can protect yourself from long offtime when using the HDDs set up in RAID1 if I'm right. If one drive crashes your server can go on with the other one, until the crashed one is fixed.
      Monitoring is key.

Quick answers to your questions: maybe; yes; fair; yes

Thanked by 1zeitgeist
    • @OpticalSwoosh said:

@JohnShell said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

@JohnShell said:

So a nice cheap server in the US/Canada will serve 2 of them.

OVH France will do UK

Then maybe a location that does India/Philippines I'm not sure what would be best for those locations as I don't have a map handy

Singapore. Should also be OK for W coast US, and AU etc. They have incredible bandwidth, not cheap but wow

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
      edited August 2016

OpticalSwoosh said: Fuck off.

Why are you responding like that (angry and aggressive) in a lot of threads? Calm down!

perryoo11 said: no when hetzner pops you out of network your doomed

Do you have any details about such a poor behavior from Hetzner ? (Probably not, they are one of the best budget server providers in Europe).

JohnShell said: So my questions are

Hetzner is a well known and good server provider. It is not insanely cheap, they have some good offers and some standard priced servers.
      So, yes, it is safe to go with them.
      They have excellent peers to EU and good peers to US and Canada, and there are no specific reasons not to chose them.

Are you a DDoS magnet? If yes, then, you should consider some other (pricey) options of DDoS filtering. It depends on how your services behave today (I saw that you have a running operation with 100K visitors per day, so you do know well if you are a DDoS magnet. If your services are running without major issues, I suppose you are not).

100K visitors per day is not a gigantic amount of visitors. A decent server with ssd would provide smoothly services even at the peak hours. So, a decent server with benchmarking over 5-6K and at least 12GB memory, would do the job. Especially if you use caching services and you properly setup your server for the static content.

Now, the advice I would agree with previous posters (as OpticalSwoosh said for example), is to rent some extra servers, even with less power, to create frequent backups. I would go with at least 3 servers in different location and from different providers.
      Another scenario would be to rent 3 servers in different locations (e.g. Germany, France and US/Canada) and create a load-balanced setup to split the load, even better sending visitors to proper server according to their location.
      If this setup is too much for you, you could simply use server 1 as a main server, server 2 as a mirror backup for redudancy (if server 1 goes down for a reason) and server 3 as off-line backup (this could be also a vps with large discs).
      And, of course, keeping some local backups (e.g. downloading server 1 image every x days to your pc).

An easy setup would be installing proxmox (or solusvm, if you can afford it) and create a large vm on server 1. Setup proxmox on server 2 and create a cluster mirroring the vm, and keep daily (or more frequently backups) of the vm in server 3 and off line. This is a pretty good redundant scenario that could give you an excellent uptime, with cost no more than 80-90$ per month.

Thanked by 1Dormeo
    • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

BuyVM with protected IP + RamNode with protected IP

• Why not just use a sister company of OVH, like Kimsufi or SoYouStart? Their DDoS protection is the best for the price (of free) and their servers are cheap as well.

• When you have 100k UV per day and generate $1k per month, you should start looking for a part time sysadmin who will find yourself some good providers and set up redundant system that just works, and you should probably never need to worry about downtime from a single provider since other servers will automatically take over.

Hetzner $35 + Kimsufi $25 + w/e you name ~$30 should be a good start.

• Get a managed service or hire a freelancer to manage it for you

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Go with OVH for France and Canada, then put cloud flare on the front to help with "Attacks" and reducing bandwidth. One server in each location plus a backup in either with load balance IP from them can be used for a 99% uptime, for 100% I would find a provider with a completely different network/location in-case a local/national outage.

• @HyperSpeed @myhken @JasperNL @mycosys @jvnadr @netomx @SpicyPepper @msg7086 @doughmanes @pdgben

Thanks for your opinion, but what most of you want me to use different servers for different regions so i want to state my current situation and also two option for me to choose:

I am running my websites on a Managed VPS with WiredTree but want to go for dedicated specifically because they don't offer IPV6 on their any service. It cost me the like a dedicated server and as i am going to get cPanel, so management will not be hard for me. I am thinking about two options mentioned below:

HETZNER:

Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v5
      Quad-Core Skylake 
      Hyper-Threading Technology
      RAM: 64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
      Hard Drive: 2 x 480 GB SATA 6 Gb/s SSD (Software-RAID 1)
      Connection: 1 Gbit/s-Port
      Guaranteed Bandwidth: 1 Gbit/s
      Backup Space: 100 GB
      Inclusive: Traffic30 TB*
      1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
      IPv6 Subnet (/64)
      cPanel/WHM Control Panel

Price: $93.93 USD /Month
      Management Type: Unamanaged

&

HOSTDIME:

Single Xeon 4-Core E3-1230 v5 3.4Ghz w/HT
      16GB RAM
      Drive 1: 240GB Business Class SSD
      75Mbps Monthly Bandwidth, Burstable to 1Gbps Monthly Bandwidth
      1000 Megabit (GigE) Uplink
      CentOS 7.x (64 Bit) - Required For cPanel/WHM
      cPanel/WHM Control Panel Included
      /29 VLAN 5 usable IPs
      IPv6 Subnet (/64)

Price: $199.00 USD /Month
      Management Type: Fully Managed

As i'm running a VPS so my budget is not too high, still please suggest me with which one i should go ? and i already thought about backup and that will be no issues.

Thanks.

• That Skylake offer is a real nice package. ECC ram, redundant SSD, the works.

May I ask what your current bandwidth Totals are on average? (just curious)