Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey providers, ever thought of selling a virtual beer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hey providers, ever thought of selling a virtual beer?

chrispchrisp Member
edited March 2013 in General

Earlier that day there was a thread named "One just has to love Prometeus!". I fully acknowledge this statement and had those moments loving Prometeus as a provider too. But I am also experiencing awesome support from the Nodedeploy guys these days and I highly appreciate what @AnthonySmith is doing for everyone with his 3€/y vps offer here on LET.

And then sometimes I have this feelings from real life like this: "hey I appreciate what you are doing and I would like to buy you a beer because you're just a good person and I honour that!"

So I come to my question..providers out there, have you every thought of providing a beer/tip money/donation box?

I could imagine Flattr, a Paypal button or my favorite a nice addon/product in WHMCS (aka your billing system) that I can buy in any amount. The price for a beer of course is different in many countries, but you can still buy a larger amount if you want so I would go for 2$/€ or 3$/€.

Of course providers shouldn't expect anything no matter how much effort they put in supporting their customers. It shouldn't be like in Star****s that people are pissed when you don't give them any tips (because their loan is too low and they basically have to "beg" for those tips (because the rents are too damn high)).

But I think that there are some people who would use that feature. And if they don't it didn't cost you anything! Also I have to add that you don't have to show your appreciation by buying anything but you can always just say "Good work!" or something if you are satisfied.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

haha fun idea, I might look in to that.

• @chrisp said: providers out there, have you every thought of providing a beer/tip money/donation box?

I know there's a beer and a coffee fund for bluevm... I thought everyone did it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

WHMCS addon? ;)

• @chrisp said: But I think that there are some people who would use that feature. And if they don't it didn't cost you anything! Also I have to add that you don't have to show your appreciation by buying anything but you can always just say "Good work!" or something if you are satisfied.

If providers had that as a button near the support area in WHMCS and I'd definitely consider wacking it once in a while :)

• @jarland said: WHMCS addon? ;)

That would be great! I'd love to see this button in every WHMCS informing you of a way to give something. Paypal donation button would be a little bit lame though because it looks like the providers need help or something.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would probably never use it for actual beer I would use the 'beer money' to fund projects etc.

I had a customer once that overpaid by €12 I asked him if he wanted a refund or if he wanted it left in his account as credit and he just said keep it and use it for anyone that has trouble paying in the future which is exactly what it was used for.

• BrightbullBrightbull Member
    edited March 2013

But the cheapest can of beer is around $9 in Norway :'(

• Taxes man, dem taxes on every income... with PayPal fees it's probably 25-50% left...

• Mm... I sure do love beer.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Brightbull said: But a can of beer is around $9 in Norway

I remember this, but TBH the first time I was there I was 16 and price for everything were so high that I thinked to not be able to survive, but people was very gentle with me :-D

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@chrisp said: providers out there, have you every thought of providing a beer/tip money/donation box?

They have this already I think it's a plugin for wordpress it's called "buy me a beer"

• @prometeus Wodka is around $80 /litre in Norway compared to $20 in most of Europe, rofl.

• I feel like when I had this idea it was shot down, but pretty sure it was posted over at WHT. I posted a customer's response who was very happy in the Premium section and said there should be an option to send me beer money or a 'tip' in my signature. Everyone just took it as I wasn't being paid or something. (I get paid well) But yes, it's a neat idea and if I saw the option to give a rep a 'tip' when they went above and beyond, I'd throw a bit of cash their way.

And for the record, I'm just as happy with a 40oz of King Cobra that costs $2 as with a pint of Chemay Ale that's about $13~. I prefer the Chemay Ale, but I'll drink the $2 40oz of malt liquor too.

A Mann's gotta drink.

• The problem is non-adults are not allowed to purchase beer, so we then have to verify the customer's age somehow... not good ;-)

• @rds100 said: The problem is non-adults are not allowed to purchase beer, so we then have to verify the customer's age somehow... not good ;-)

The beer is for the provider. Or did I get it wrong somehow?! Oo

• @rds100 said: The problem is non-adults are not allowed to purchase beer, so we then have to verify the customer's age somehow... not good ;-)

Didn't know it was illegal to give someone money so they can buy beer for themselves.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@icySrv said: The beer is for the provider. Or did I get it wrong somehow?

Some providers may be younger than you suppose ;-)

• BrightbullBrightbull Member
    edited March 2013

@prometeus they can spend it on soda and energy drinks in that case rofl

• @chrisp i would buy all my hosts a couple rounds .. they deserve it!

• @prometeus said: Some providers may be younger than you suppose ;-)

Oh yes, I forgot about this. In that case it should say, "Satisfied with my response and support? Please provide lunch money tips."

Then they can buy an extra pudding at lunch or get a soda if schools still allow them.

• @AnthonySmith said: I had a customer once that overpaid by €12 I asked him if he wanted a refund or if he wanted it left in his account as credit and he just said keep it and use it for anyone that has trouble paying in the future which is exactly what it was used for.

That's just about the best thing I've read on LET in a long time.

If there was some way we could turn that story into something viable I'd donate a hundred bucks to help out.

• Sometimes I wish there was a way to show some thanks to the providers that go the extra mile to provide an excellent service for a very low profit margin.

• Buy me a coffee/bear is nice! If you are happy with service and support...

• ... so tempted to launch a subsidiary where you buy a vps in units of beer

• @jcaleb said: Buy me a coffee/bear is nice!

I'd love for someone to buy me a bear.

Bears are awesome.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

lol!

• I like this a lot. We could then redefine the favourite providers poll as "which providers had the most customer fueled hangovers?" ;p. If a provider is consistently in the top 3, they are truly hardcore :)

• @HalfEatenPie said: I'd love for someone to buy me a bear.

Bears are awesome.

Black, Brown, Kodiak, Koala, Panda or Teddy?

• @HalfEatenPie said: I'd love for someone to buy me a bear.

I'll buy you lambanog

• @AuroraZ said: Black, Brown, Kodiak, Koala, Panda or Teddy?

Polar and pandas.

@jcaleb said: I'll buy you lambanog

The alcoholic in me will love you.

Seriously. Every other night I go out drinking.