Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help DimeCadmium Who Is Stuck In Mexico - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help DimeCadmium Who Is Stuck In Mexico

Comments

• @netomx said: there are a lot of bad and good ppl in all places

I am of the bad people >_<
    j/k

Is good to know that he will get some money now.
    I thought he was robbed at the streets with violence or something =S But he is ok

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yomero said: I am of the bad people

I think I have a tip for the police on who robbed Dime...

• @raindog308 said: I think I have a tip for the police on who robbed Dime...

OMG OMG!
    But he wasn't with me :S

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited March 2013

@Spencer said: After FINALLY getting through to him, after many attempts and the horribly setup Embassy phone system.

The embassy phones suck. And I doubt Spencer knew which room/unit I was in so that much harder. Yesterday was a Mexican holiday, embassy was closed, I had to stand out by the gatehouse with a phone cord running under the window to get in touch with people to get money for a hostel last night..... grumble.

@netomx @yomero thank you, I'm good.

The embassy waived the passport fees (the passport is valid only for a single entrance to the US before something like April 1) and gave me an emergency loan, repay in 90 days, for bus tickets & meals on the way. 700mxn cash + voucher for bus to Houston.

The passport is actually exactly like a normal passport, except the info page is glued in, and the endorsements page says valid for one US entry before blablabla lol.

• Oh.... and I feel like @joepie91 now, dammit

• @dimeCadmium atleast you're on the way back to the US buddy.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Your from the republic of ostrich @William?

It was called 'Ostarrîchi' before it was Austria ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Austria

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Lol dime, im goingnto the us incthis moment, so sad youre far away. Tell us what happened, thats weird

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

@William said: It was called 'Ostarrîchi' before it was Austria ;)

just.... lol :)

so now I am thinking:

combined with:

which equals: "christina osterrîchi"

@Damian LOL

• embassies should take care of their citizens at all cost right?

• @jcaleb said: embassies should take care of their citizens at all cost right?

Most do.

When doing research on Thailand I remember watching a documentary on the 'Bangkok Hilton' (prison). I believe -most- foreign inmates from places such as the US and the UK receive care packages from the embassy to survive in prison. Things like deodorant, maybe a little bit of cash, etc.

I'd imagine if they'd help you out if you were in a bad situation like described in this thread.

• im glad all is solved @spencer

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@MannDude said: I believe -most- foreign inmates from places such as the US and the UK receive care packages from the embassy to survive in prison. Things like deodorant,

I'm so glad that US and UK prisoners receive deodorant ... I can imagine the riots that would rise otherwise.

:)

• good to hear he's okay.

It also prooves obe thibg, the people ths works at the embassy aint sleepin on tgeir job, hey its mexico i mean!

• @MannDude said: When doing research on Thailand I remember watching a documentary on the 'Bangkok Hilton' (prison). I believe -most- foreign inmates from places such as the US and the UK receive care packages from the embassy to survive in prison. Things like deodorant, maybe a little bit of cash, etc.

If you EVER get to jail in Thailand or Singapore call your embassy, they can get you out in no time and deport you, you will be trialed in your home country.
    You should however NEVER publish what you did, as for example Singapore will make this deals only "in the dark", once it is public you go to a local jail.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@William said: Usually not a big problem, been there done that (though in Yugoslavia and not Mexico, not that it would be any better there)... the Embassy can give you a temporary passport (which usually costs like 100-200$/€).

Wait so you are 20 years old now but you once got stuck in Yugoslavia? The last part of Yugoslavia that could be called that was renamed in 2003.

So you were 10 years old or less and were stuck in Yugoslavia alone?

I call bullshit. Or does "been there done that" mean something else to you? :-D

@Liam said: To be fair, former yugolslav/south east europe is still mostly called "Yugoslavia" here.

William is from Austria...

Even then, I'd call bullshit no matter what European country he said. ;-)

• @William is 20? O.o

• @jcaleb said: embassies should take care of their citizens at all cost right?

Not only will most get you out at all costs, but they also will do a bit of political strong-arming if you get in trouble with local law enforcement for some reason.

edited March 2013

@texteditor said: Not only will most get you out at all costs, but they also will do a bit of political strong-arming if you get in trouble with local law enforcement for some reason.

All costs? Be realistic here... "For some reason"? If you deal drugs in South East Asia or offend the wrong man in the sky in the Middle East or whatever then they won't "get you out at all costs".

I think a lot of people overestimate how much they (embassies/diplomatic channels) can realistically do for 99% of people.

This of course depends on what you (or the person in trouble) has done. Of course if you get mugged or suffer from some other accident then they will do their best to help you but if you break the law then there are pretty big limits on what they can and cannot do.

Your nation's embassy is just an arm of your own government. Of course they want to make sure you are treated well but if you break the law (knowingly or not) you are up shit creek especially in many countries with much stricter laws than those most of us are from (by us I mean most LEB'ers who are from Western European countries or North America). Unless you are caught up in something sensitive or have some powerful people around to pull strings for you then it is not hard to get into very sticky positions when in other countries.

There are many many Westerners caught up in the legal systems (however robust/honest/transparent/corrupt they may be) all over the world. Don't think just because you have an EU/US/GB/AU passport you can magically do whatever the fuck you want when you are travelling because it definitely is not the case.

• Well yeah, if you are violating laws that you would get a similar punishment for in the US you are probably shit out of luck, but if it's ever an issue where your home country allows it or thinks the punishment is too harsh they'll bail you out.

By Western (US/European/Anglo) standards punishment in basically all of the rest of the world are "too harsh".

There are many many reported cases of even well known individuals being caught with tiny amounts of illicit substances in their luggage when travelling through the Middle East or South East Asia and having their stopovers or visits extended involuntarily (i.e. visit to the jail for 12+ months).

This is an ongoing political issue in Australia as young people get busted in Indonesia or Singapore or wherever else with marijuana (usually) because of their own stupidity then the mainstream media blows it up and tries to make everyone believe the Government should somehow "bail them out". The stories come up every so often, stay on the front page for a few days, then fade into obscurity until months or even years later when the idiots who get caught are finally released.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@Oliver said: Wait so you are 20 years old now but you once got stuck in Yugoslavia? The last part of Yugoslavia that could be called that was renamed in 2003.

Ha, ha - I was thinking about that too :)

@Liam said: To be fair, former yugolslav/south east europe is still mostly called "Yugoslavia" here.

Wow, really? :) Even I (in south east europe) don't hear this word anymore. Croatia, Slovenia... Tina Maze... yes, but Jugoslavia died around 20 years ago.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2013

@Oliver said: Wait so you are 20 years old now but you once got stuck in Yugoslavia? The last part of Yugoslavia that could be called that was renamed in 2003.

We call everything from Slovenia to Kosovo/Serbia still Yugoslavia, it's also still in most schoolbooks that way... ('Country' was Bosnia)
    (jajaja, i know @Spirit will probably hurt me for that but for me it's still all Yugoslavia, like Europe is 'Europe' for americans and not a bunch of countries that you all have to name)

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited March 2013

@HC_Ro said: embassy workers to check their TOS!

+1

• vedranvedran Veteran

I don't find it odd, Czechoslovakia is not that uncommon among older generation, or even Soviet Union.

And Yugoslavia is a kind of self imposed tabu word here, most officials when referring to it will use something like "former country" instead.

Massive derailment

Well that's quite pathetic if that is still the case in Austria. It's not like that in Germany nor in Hungary - and Hungary is right next door...

Still calling bullshit but whatever. ;-)

• @vedran said: Massive derailment

Fuck yea LET!!!!!!!!11one1!~

I'm safely back in Austin, thanks all. Now I've just gotta figure out how to pay the $180 State dep't loan... and my $2000 of student loans... :(

• @DimeCadmium said: Now I've just gotta figure out how to pay the $180 State dep't loan... and my $2000 of student loans... :(

Prostitution? Just kidding. Glad you're back home safe buddy!