Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help DimeCadmium Who Is Stuck In Mexico
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help DimeCadmium Who Is Stuck In Mexico

SpencerSpencer Member
edited March 2013 in General

Today I got a call from the USA Embassy in Mexico and our dear beloved member @DimeCadmium is in need of help. To sum it up he was in Mexico with some friends and he was robbed and they took everything he had including passport, money and cellphone. The USA Embassy said it was $150 for a new pasport and about $150 for a bus ride to get back to the USA. I don't have $300 to spend right now and im sure most of you don't but I was wondering can you think of any ways to get this fee lowered, or if you would maybe donate a few dollars to help him im. Let me try and contact the embasy so I can ask John if he still has his pp debit card. I know this is a lot to ask and I feel terrible about it!

--edit--

After FINALLY getting through to him, after many attempts and the horribly setup Embassy phone system.

What he said is that he is taking a loan out from the US Government for the fees then pay it back. Hopefully They aren't like a loan shark. But he wanted me to say thankyou to all the people on here who were willing to help him out.

I say thanks too!

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 ha no he actually is :D I talked to him and he posted in on his FB, @damian can confirm the FB post

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited March 2013

The embassy will not make him wait and pay if he is in immediate need for help. Been there done that.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/money/money_1224.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/lostpassport/lostpassport_1197.html

However, if:

the applicant’s money and documents have been lost or stolen, or
    the applicant is a victim of a disaster
    and the applicant does not have and cannot reasonably be expected to obtain money to pay the fees before continuing travel, no passport fee will be charged

• @HC_Ro said: the applicant’s money and documents have been lost or stolen, or

the applicant is a victim of a disaster
    and the applicant does not have and cannot reasonably be expected to obtain money to pay the fees before continuing travel, no passport fee will be charged

Hmmmmm, that may be the key here

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@Spencer said: Hmmmmm, that may be the key here

tell those embassy workers to check their TOS!

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited March 2013

That's not how it works in an emergency situation, and I have a very difficult time believing the staff of the embassy knows less about policy than I do. Something is not right . . . or our government is even worse than I thought.

• Or maybe they will give him his passport for free after they call everybody on his list and they all say no

• Let's get a LowEndMiniBus to go rescue him?

• @eastonch said: LowEndMiniBus

Isn't that double and shouldn't it be just LowEndBus? :P

• @Spencer said: can confirm the FB post

• @damian You'd actually do that, wouldnt you?

• @eastonch said: You'd actually do that, wouldnt you?

I would not; conflagration is my default response to everything :D

• @Damian

Oh, Sapphire is broken.... BURN IT1

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Please tell him to call me ASAP, I can assist him. Will send my phone number to @Damian

• @eastonch said: Sapphire is broken

11:14:17 up 108 days, 16:59, 1 user, load average: 4.19, 5.15, 5.17

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, foo'?

• @netomx said: Will send my phone number to @Damian

Send it to @Spencer, I don't have direct contact with him. Unless you want me to send it to him on FB, but I don't know if he has internet access still.

• @damian - Scenario ;)!

Sent to @Spencer

• JacobJacob Member

And the moral of the story is not to sleep with a guy you barely know.

@netomx saves the day! Crazy mexicans.

@Jacob there are a lot of bad and good ppl in all places. @yomero is from the DF. I will try to help but I'm 620 miles away

• vedranvedran Veteran

If his friends and family can't spare $300 to get him back home, he should probably stay in Mexico :/

• @vedran said: If his friends and family can't spare $300 to get him back home

Not as simple as that

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

People in Mexico still want to go north to the USA?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Oliver said: People in Mexico still want to go north to the USA?

It's safer here. Our government makes sure of that.

By giving guns to criminals in Mexico.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@jarland said: It's safer here. Our government makes sure of that.

By giving guns to criminals in Mexico.

I think you mean 'less unsafe'.

• After FINALLY getting through to him, after many attempts and the horribly setup Embassy phone system.

What he said is that he is taking a loan out from the US Government for the fees then pay it back. Hopefully They aren't like a loan shark. But he wanted me to say thankyou to all the people on here who were willing to help him out.

I say thanks too!

• Usually not a big problem, been there done that (though in Yugoslavia and not Mexico, not that it would be any better there)... the Embassy can give you a temporary passport (which usually costs like 100-200$/€).
    Depending on the country they give you a loan for it (US for example, i think at 1,5%) or have you pay it later (most EU countries with national citizen register)

Heres a pic of an Austrian emergency Passport:
    http://i.imgur.com/vafV1Jd.jpg?1

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Your from the republic of ostrich @William?

• @AnthonySmith said: Your from the republic of ostrich @William?

ahahahahaha that's the funniest thing i've seen in awhile

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Damian said: ahahahahaha that's the funniest thing i've seen in awhile