Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean lost NY backups/images and introduced new prices for "free" backups - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean lost NY backups/images and introduced new prices for "free" backups

13»

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Prometeus
    Uncle will now definitely read the low backup price.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Radi said: Uncle will now definitely read the low backup price.

Price noticed :-)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Radi said: Uncle will now definitely read the low backup price.

We actually had an offer for storage VPS at 1 Eurocent per GB. The whole VPS, not only storage.
    But it went out the same day :D

• @zagi said: Only the NY region was affected, AMS did not experience any loss, and inside the NY region only selected snapshots and backups

As a %, how many snapshots/backups were lost? (DO customer btw)

• @Maounique said: We actually had an offer for storage VPS at 1 Eurocent per GB. The whole VPS, not only storage.

But it went out the same day :D

The atom ones?
    I still want one :(

edited March 2013

@yomero said: The atom ones?

Yes, but only had a couple with 2.2 TB each and went out in a flash...
    I hope i remember to pm you when there is a slot.

• @Maounique said: Yes, but only had a couple with 2.2 TB each and went out in a flash...

I hope i remember to pm you when there is a slot.

That's only ipv6 right? Is it possible to get the files via ipv4, by going through another vps with both ipv4 and ipv6? (Is that called tunneling? not sure)

• alexalex Member

just thinking out loud - does anyone actually still has backup that wasn't 'accidentally' deleted?

• @alex I never lost mine.

• I paid $5 but haven't used anything at DO yet. Just reserving for future use.

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited March 2013

@zagi said: Hey guys,

Ben from DigitalOcean here, wanted to respond to a few comments and clear things up.

Only the NY region was affected, AMS did not experience any loss, and inside the NY region only selected snapshots and backups were affected as we have multiple storage devices and only 1 of them was affected. We wanted to disclose this issue and be as upfront with our users as possible.

Hi Ben, do you planning to charge snapshot backup on AMS? (or it already included)

• @jcaleb said: I paid $5 but haven't used anything at DO yet. Just reserving for future use.

I still have about $20 in DO.
    Just let it be there, if I need it in the future

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: Just let it be there, if I need it in the future

Unless they invent new way to take it away from you :P

• @Spirit said: Unless they invent new way to take it away from you :P

Fees for keeping your money in credits?

Ethel confirmed that I can use it anytime when I ask about it. But I'm afraid that 'there will be' some errors within their billing database. :)

Oops just kidding, I love DO.

Wait.. What?
    Being charge just because idle and using database entry? :p

• zagizagi Member

This was the result of a direct hardware failure, and not a marketing gimmick. We have introduced pricing to improve the reliability of the service going forward for snapshots and backups.

The pricing will apply to all regions, today that is both NY and Amsterdam.

edited March 2013

@jcaleb said: That's only ipv6 right? Is it possible to get the files via ipv4, by going through another vps with both ipv4 and ipv6? (Is that called tunneling? not sure)

Yes, those.
    You can use your VPS with us to mount that storage space as they both have IPv6 (you can export it as you wish since it is Xen) and then you can use it through IPv4 like any mounted or local storage.
    At least this is how I would do it, but it is entirely possible to proxy direct calls through your other VPSes with us.
    Alternatively you can use an IPv6 tunnel broker to access it directly from home. This might be slower but has the advantage it will not count the traffic double (both for storage and your regular VPS). We have big traffic allocations on all plans so should be no problem.

• Thanks @Maounique

• thanks for this, i didn't realise about the pricing for snapshots, i thought only the backup cost $ so i made snapshots like crazy ... will start to delete them

• i am sure they customer will loos and in begining customer like but after sometime that they will loos i am sure really customer will give bad review soon :)

• lumaluma Member

@omlinux said:
    i am sure they customer will loos and in begining customer like but after sometime that they will loos i am sure really customer will give bad review soon :)

Not to sound rude but I don't understand what you are trying to say? Perhaps try again?

• need to wait sometime and see what customer will review so need to wait but i did calculation with some of datacenter team and members about review costing of digital ocean so wait sometime customer will wite review about digitalocean :)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Well their CPU vcore sucks, that's why they're so cheap.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

My VPS does what I want it to, so I don't care about the vCore. If only snapshots were free .....o .... O

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

@Spirit said:
    My opinion is that they lately lured a lot of new clients with free 5$, 10$, 20$ bonuses and now they need to make sure that those people will actually spend their credits - want it or not :)

Yes, but I testes lately and performance is not really good, even with a 4 cores benchmark was very poor. Too much clients and traffic ?