Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean lost NY backups/images and introduced new prices for "free" backups - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean lost NY backups/images and introduced new prices for "free" backups

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member

@Spirit they lost it a while back, not today. Then they put a $50 credit in my account. I doubt I will host a DNS there anymore.

@yomero - The VPS is there but it wo't boot. It could be deleted, I have no way of knowing.

I didn't bring this up before because I was afraid that people might say that I was being mean, but it's true. I am not worried, there are plenty of other hosts who offer good reliable service.

• @marcm said: The VPS is there but it wo't boot. It could be deleted, I have no way of knowing.

I guess you already submitted a support request?
    Also, maybe you already tried to get a snapshot and rebuild?

• Part of being a startup is sometimes admitting when you've made a mistake, then making a worse mistake.

• Yes I lost all my 3 snapshots with them and have to rebuild the whole system if I want to use their server again.

I'm thinking seriously not to play with them any more.

• @AstroProfundis said: Yes I lost all my 3 snapshots with them and have to rebuild the whole system if I want to use their server again.

???
    You can make, another snapshot and all is done?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@yomero said: You can make, another snapshot and all is done?

I think that he meant whole setup. This sometimes include more than just basic setup, security, etc. and take some time to rebuild and reconfigure all from beginning. That's main reason why I don't jump from one LEB host to other on monthly basis but keep all decent hosts long term.

• I lost 7 snapshots...

If they want to charge for it just tell me. (before they 'accidentally' delete it)

• @Noerman said: I lost 7 snapshots...

That was some great cleaning at their NY location then :)

• lumaluma Member

I lost my snapshots as well. Disapointed because that is the feature I loved the most.

Being able to take a system and tweaking it perfectly, setting everything up the way I wanted it. Taking my time and making sure everything is just right and taking a snapshot and being able to deploy new servers with the snapshot when needed.

It is a new company so I do understand growing pains but they keep adding cost to features.

• Lost 4 snapshots too.
    I want to know when they said "not happen again",did they mean "no data loss with the same reason again " or "absolutely no data loss again"?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

While this is unfortunate, I dont think that even with the new fees, DO comes even close to other bigger and older players.
    If you guys loved their features and freebies so far, give them a chance to live, maybe they underestimated costs and on a very tight budget one mishap can blow all the plans, it is very easy to make a mistake in planning ahead, especially on the longer term in this market.
    It is a miracle NOT to slip at some point, they were amazing so far, one bad step should not ruin everything.
    Time will tell, it doesnt look well at first sight, in moments like these you see the power of the company, good luck to them :)

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited March 2013

Perhaps it's their market entry strategy the whole time. They went low at pricing and allow all those features for free. When they feel they have enough brand value and customers, they start raising the prices.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

So... anyone still has snapshots? LOL
    What about snapshots at NL?

Edit: Hmmm, I still have an snapshot! :D So, I am thinking... really you think that they are hiding their pricing adjustment with a fake accident?

• They did do "pricing adjustment" after the "fake accident" isn't it?
    Instead of apology or free credit etc to please the clients.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, if they have to tell the bad news, make it 2 in one hit, it goes faster and many people think as of one incident, not 2.

• @Maounique said: Well, if they have to tell the bad news, make it 2 in one hit, it goes faster and many people think as of one incident, not 2.

Sounds real
    In a brief, I think they really had an accident, and they will grab our money to pay for external storage and avoid this happening again.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

They lost my snapshot too (that it will take time to recover), I expected maybe some sort of compensation like account credit, or at least an apology, but guess what, I even searched their E-Mail and their announcement page for words like "Sorry" and "Apologize", nope, it's all in busy technical tone, like losing customer data and introducing surprise charges is just normal day-to-day business at Digital Ocean.

1) "Hey, we lost your data!"
    2) "We learned blah blah"
    3) "Oh and btw starting June 1st you will have to pay for everything".

That's how the whole thing reads to me.

• edited March 2013

@yomero said: You can make, another snapshot and all is done?

I don't have a running server with them right now, I create a server to run some computing jobs when I need, then take a snapshot and delete the server to save cost, so no snapshots means nothing left for me.

@Spirit said: This sometimes include more than just basic setup, security, etc. and take some time to rebuild and reconfigure all from beginning.

Yes this is exactly what I mean.

• @AstroProfundis said: I don't have a running server with them right now,

Got it. =(

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

They should charge more. This is feels like Minecraft hosting all over again.

• Luckily I didn't move my sites to their VPS 3 months ago because they got some bandwidth problems that time. :)

• I didn't even get a mail about the backup pricing, looks like only people with NY droplets got one.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Albert said: looks like only people with NY droplets got one.

If you can make it there (paid backups in NY), you'll make it e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, it's up to you, DO, Deeeeeeeeeeee Oooooooooooohhh! :-)

• @Amitz said: If you can make it there (paid backups in NY), you'll make it e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, it's up to you, DO, Deeeeeeeeeeee Oooooooooooohhh! :-)

Good point.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Duh of course backups are to be for-pay everywhere. Did you think it only applies to NY for some weird reason?

• Does this mean that the DO circle jerk os over :O

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Spencer said: Does this mean that the DO circle jerk os over :O

Somehow, just less fluids.

• I am sure you all know the saying, "if it looks too good to be true, it is really too good to be true". Sooner or later something had to give. Look out for price hikes soon.

• The main reason we are introducing pricing for backups and snapshots is to ensure that we can build out a robust backend storage solution as well as pay for the costs for off-site backups which are $0.01 per GB and thus ensure customer data is safe and redundant with multiple providers at all times.

So backups will be stored both onsite and offsite for an extra $1/month on the smallest plan. An awesome deal to me.

• zagizagi Member

Hey guys,

Ben from DigitalOcean here, wanted to respond to a few comments and clear things up.

Snapshot pricing will be $0.02/GB stored on a monthly basis. I have removed the word "cents" so there will be no more confusion.

We did suffer a RAID failure that resulted in the loss of snapshots and backups, it wasn't a cover up to try and introduce pricing. The reason we lost data is because we could only afford to keep 1 replica of the snapshot or backup as a free service. By introducing pricing we can build in the resiliency and redundancy necessary to protect your files. We are looking to leverage Amazon's Glacier service to keep an offsite copy of your data so that no matter what happens inside DigitalOcean we will have a completely isolated and protected copy elsewhere.

Only the NY region was affected, AMS did not experience any loss, and inside the NY region only selected snapshots and backups were affected as we have multiple storage devices and only 1 of them was affected. We wanted to disclose this issue and be as upfront with our users as possible.