Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode Upgrades Hardware
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode Upgrades Hardware

serverbearserverbear Member
edited March 2013 in General

http://blog.linode.com/2013/03/18/linode-nextgen-the-hardware/

Powering our NextGen hosts are two Intel Sandy Bridge E5-2670 processors. The E5-2670 is at the high end of the power-price-performance ratio. Each E5-2670 enjoys 20 MB of cache and has 8 cores running at 2.6 Ghz. We’ve also moved to the latest generation of the enterprise-grade hard disk drives — doubling their cache, increasing their port speed, and decreasing latency and access time.

Should have some benchmark comparisons shortly.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Much more significant is the high jump in bandwidth. Used to be $20 got you 200GB. As of February, their lowest package at $20/month now gives you 2TB.

• Wondering what can be the "part 3"...
    CDN?
    Separated storage volumes?

Still that E5s are not as fast as the E3 ones...

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@yomero said: Still that E5s are not as fast as the E3 ones...

Clock wise maybe but a single E5-2670 has almost double CPU Benchmark in general, from linode.com they give you access to 8 Cores and you can use it depending on priority

• @Patrick said: Clock wise maybe

I know.
    But for my usage (games are single threaded stuff), they almost suck

• @yomero said: games are single threaded stuff

But that IS clock wise ;p

• @yomero said: Wondering what can be the "part 3"...

Triple the ram for all instances!

• u4iau4ia Member

I wonder if that means an increase of container density.

• @u4ia said: I wonder if that means an increase of container density.

Unless they do this:

@unused said: Triple the ram for all instances!

Yes, more containers, because that mobos support more RAM than the L5520's mobos.

• Looks like next update will be double RAM:

• @yomero said: Yes, more containers, because that mobos support more RAM than the L5520's mobos.

Actually the mobos don't support more because the CPU doesn't. It's all about memory channels here.

• @serverbear said: Looks like next update will be double RAM:

And still annoying HDD amounts. My OCD is like gahh make it 25GB per GB

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: Actually the mobos don't support more because the CPU doesn't. It's all about memory channels here.

I know. The new platform supports like +512GB RAM or so :S

Edit http://ark.intel.com/compare/40201,64595

• @yomero said: I know. The new platform supports like +512GB RAM or so :S

Dual E5's support up to 750GB RAM by definition

• @serverbear said: Looks like next update will be double RAM

Hell I wish they'd stop with the upgrades, I'm getting tired of rebooting Linodes....

• u4iau4ia Member

@serverbear where did you find that out?

• marcmmarcm Member

@serverbear - looks like Linode is feeling the pinch and wants to stay in business. And they have the cash to pull it off, so we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised to see the advertise around here as well. By the way, how have you been?

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited March 2013

@u4ia said: @serverbear where did you find that out?

Someone posted that on Twitter (I think it's a flyer from SXSW), we've got an interview with Linode about all the new hardware due to go up soon. They've been sitting on it for almost 3 months now, but assured me that it's "almost finished."

• Must of been sitting on a pile of cash to want to spend on those processors they're like 1500 a pop

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2013

Who isn't sitting on a pile of cash these days...

I spend too much! :'(

• @FRCorey said: Must of been sitting on a pile of cash to want to spend on those processors they're like 1500 a pop

I was surprised with the choice of processor also

• I guess it's a matter of prestige for them to use an expensive processor. Besides they are probably going to use the same hardware for another 5 years, so it'd better be good.

• @FRCorey said: Must of been sitting on a pile of cash to want to spend on those processors they're like 1500 a pop

There is no way in hell they are paying list price for those

• JacobJacob Member

Nah, they're planning to spend $1M total 1/4 on hardware probably so I can see a good discount.

• @texteditor said: There is no way in hell they are paying list price for those

1000qty tray / Intel Costa Rica / 675$ each CPU

• @FRCorey said: Must of been sitting on a pile of cash

After charging $20 per 512MB of RAM for a couple of years (and little disk space) I hope they have a pile of cash ;-)

I hope EDIS sees this as an incentive to add more HD space to their servers :-P

• ChanChan Member

@yomero said: Wondering what can be the "part 3"...

CDN?
    Separated storage volumes?

Hourly based billing perhaps? I think they hinted that back when they launched their trials

• @Chan
    why would anyone need hourly billing? When you remove a linode, credits for remaining days automatically gets refunded back to the account

• @Ruchirablog said: credits for remaining days automatically gets refunded back to the account

Yes, per days :(

@Chan said: Hourly based billing perhaps?

Sounds interesting, but probably the idea of @serverbear is more realistic, just double RAM, which honestly doesn't make me happy :P

• @yomero
    Dont be that silly :3

• ChanChan Member

@yomero said: Sounds interesting, but probably the idea of @serverbear is more realistic, just double RAM, which honestly doesn't make me happy :P

I'd much rather they have a $10 512Mb option lol

why would anyone need hourly billing? When you remove a linode, credits for remaining days automatically gets refunded back to the account

Yeah I know but that's still not quite the same thing as what you get from DigitalOcean or EC2