Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clients sign up for services they don't use! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clients sign up for services they don't use!

Comments

• ztecztec Member
    edited March 2013

@Damian said: Yep... I don't really believe it either, sometimes makes me wonder if it's some kind of stolen-card-verification, where criminals purchase a cheap item to see if their stolen CC works or not.

Woot, did you guys never end up on a drunk amazon shopping spree?
    Maybe I do have a drinking problem.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

@Abdussamad said: They cancelled a server because of bad grammar?

Actually the problem was that the directory paths on the OS were delimited by commas instead of slashes.

• wdqwdq Member

Those are some very interesting reasons to cancel a VPS. Some of them make no sense at all. Personally I will usually have at least one VPS at a time that I buy simply for "testing" which I define as really just experimenting with different locations/datacenters to see what I like and what I don't like. I usually just put in "not needed" or "other" in the cancellation form. If I like the provider I might be back to setup a VPS for a specific purpose like a web server, or DNS server.

• @raindog308 said: "I discovered girls. Wow! There's all kinds of fun things you can do with them! Don't have time for VPSes any more."

This is all LIES

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 said: "I discovered girls. Wow! There's all kinds of fun things you can do with them! Don't have time for VPSes any more.

For shits and giggles, I'll be using this on the next mandatory cancellation field I need to complete :P

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2013

I have to say. I am one of the people who purchase a VPS and don't use it. But personally for me its mostly so that I could give money to companies that I believe should be getting money. Yeah I might not use it but I know I'm helping that company grow (and honestly, most of those VPSes that go unused are with providers who I consider friends).

Maybe I'm just wasting my money. But yeah, just a little token of appreciation on the side :P

• @Voss said: Surely @HalfEatenPie would win that award ;)

I would be happy. I would cry. And then I would realize that I'd have to live off of box ramen for the rest of the year.

And then Ryan would pay me. And then that'd go all back into a server.

Oh no what have I done!

• @HalfEatenPie I've got 20 and have been offered 1-3 more for beta testing purposes. What's your collection look like?

• I sometimes sign up for a container I then use for testing software and just cancel it afterwards. Sometimes it's a container for a client and they just cancel (for whatever reason) and I don't like wasting money ;)

@Patrick said: It's useful so you know:

A) Why they cancelled
    B) How you can improve the service, if it's informative

Though true some people don't care or have nothing to say and just enter N/a

I appreciate the e-mail you sent when I cancelled my VPS with you. It's always good to ask if something could have been done better. Thumbs up!

• @mpkossen said: I appreciate the e-mail you sent when I cancelled my VPS with you. It's always good to ask if something could have been done better. Thumbs up!

We did this in our early days, but never received a response, ever.

When I cancelled my plan with @fliphost, he sent me a $5 account credit, which I thought was nice and was quite memorable.

• @Damian said: "Didn't mean to sign up"

Whoops, I accidentally typed in my name, address, phone number and other personal info, then I accidentally entered my payment information then pressed "pay".

• @SimpleNode said: Whoops, I accidentally typed in my name, address, phone number and other personal info, then I accidentally entered my payment information then pressed "pay".

be more careful next time

• @Abdussamad said: What the hell do they mean by "punctuation"?

The cancellation reason was something like ".", "-", "/" or similar. I can only assume that the client is cancelling their server because they now have a keyboard that only allows symbols to be typed.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

If I'm cancelling a service with you, typically I...

It's useful so you know:

A) Why they cancelled

...don't really care what is useful for you

B) How you can improve the service, if it's informative

...don't care if you improve the service that I will not be using anyway.

So "Thanks" is my personal choice as far as cancellations go.

(And the last thing I want is a host "getting back to me" regarding whatever cancellation reason I put in, trying to make me stay; because if I press the Cancel button, I am already completely sure I am cancelling, even more than that, I already bought a replacement VPS and spent time moving and reconfiguring services from yours to that new one.)

• Lol @Damian those look like my customer cancellation requests..

I love the customers who get a VPS, experience problems, never open a ticket, cancel with problems with VPS, and we reach out to them and they scream at us that we should have known about their problems. Like were all knowing seers of systems we have no logins to. I guess I need to hire someone with telepathic ability to handle those customers.

• @FRCorey Where can I send my resume? :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I kind of like my clients. I guess that's not a fun story.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@Damian said: "Didn't mean to sign up": 10

I think these might be fraud related.

@Damian said: User can't read TOS 1

This one made me laugh. :)

• emgemg Veteran

What about this one?

Unused'); DROP TABLE CUSTOMERS; --)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@emg said: Unused'); DROP TABLE CUSTOMERS; --)

Ah using this from now on.

• @DStrout said: @HalfEatenPie I've got 20 and have been offered 1-3 more for beta testing purposes. What's your collection look like?

Erm... Lets say I have about 25-30 or so VPSes and 6 dedicated servers (2 OVH).

All of them paid for. I try not to take handouts because I'd prefer supporting these companies.

• tommytommy Member

LOL I'm using my vpn once in 1 week :D just for vpn-ing about 4 hours.

• It's not true that clients sign up for VPS they will not use. Usually, you just grab a good deal and reserve for a future project. It's the future project's fault that they don't materialize most of the time.

• @raindog308 said: "This is Lieutenant Wong from the People's Liberation Army of China. This account is now being closed with extreme prejudice."

I like this one.

@raindog308 said: "I discovered girls. Wow! There's all kinds of fun things you can do with them! Don't have time for VPSes any more."

And this one.

• User can't read TOS 1

( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/ \

• I love my idle VPSs...

An idle VPS is a happy VPS... (someone said)

• @Damian said: I tallied up our cancellation requests since the start

Yeah that's my fault too. I forgot to pay the awesome IPXcore 256mb-LEBSpecial that I prepare for testing purpose.

Anyway, all I can say it was a good node, good uptime, good network and good machine.

• @vRozenSch00n said: forgot to pay the awesome IPXcore 256mb-LEBSpecial that I prepare for testing purpose.

We're always willing to re-activate it.

• @Damian Thanks bro, whenever I have some allowance from my wife (dang! she's all over me) I'll sign up for a new account

• @Damian said: Was somewhat surprised at how many people never use their VPS.

Did you monitor all their usage or what? Writing "unused" or "not needed anymore" is what I would write if I cancel a VPS I don't... need anymore.. or use anymore..

That doesn't mean I NEVER used it.

This discussion has been closed.