Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is wrong with people these days, insight from a host perspective - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is wrong with people these days, insight from a host perspective

Comments

• The forum is big now, some people are nice, some are just bad.

• ban china and i swear 95% of the problem everyone hates will be gone.

• @jcaleb In USA a church is an *, Inc. ? WTF!

• marcmmarcm Member

@cosmicgate - Customers from China aren't any more problematic than customers from anywhere else. I would actually say that we had very few problems with them this year. We welcome anyone who is willing to abide by the rules and behaves.

• @DestroyeRCo said: @jcaleb In USA a church is an *, Inc. ? WTF!

My church in Manila is registered as *, Inc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@cosmicgate Most of the abuse I deal with comes from the US. Off the top if my head I'd say Arab nations fall in second (no particular order among them). ChinaNet takes the gold for brute force, but I don't consider that abuse so much as a favor. If it weren't for them I'd have to wait more than a day to test the effectiveness of new security procedures.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: Now you all know why we manually approve all orders and keep strict guidelines on signups.

You also need a pony with a good nose ;-)

we started approving manually with hostbill, then when removed stock control on some services, but I'm sure we are fooled all days :P

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith make it an addition to a regular service, i.e raise the price of the service to a high price (i.e. €10) and give a 70% discount code to the clients with other services requesting for it. (you can also give the promotional codes to select people you want of course ;-) )

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@prometeus said: @AnthonySmith make it an addition to a regular service, i.e raise the price of the service to a high price (i.e. €10) and give a 70% discount code to the clients with other services requesting for it. (you can also give the promotional codes to select people you want of course ;-) )

Good idea. :-)

• @prometeus said: @AnthonySmith make it an addition to a regular service, i.e raise the price of the service to a high price (i.e. €10) and give a 70% discount code to the clients with other services requesting for it. (you can also give the promotional codes to select people you want of course ;-) )

That would keep the spammers out for sure :) But would add a little overhead. But hey, I'd have also done this for 4 or 5 Euro for a year. So, that could even cover the cost of the overhead of having to hand out discount codes a bit :)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2013

What i'm starting to get annoyed with is people who argue with us about our policies and procedures, when:

1). It's our house.
    2). Service with us is voluntary. No one is forcing you to purchase service from us.
    3). Everything is laid out in plain text in our AUP/TOS.

I love the "but plz sir its only $2", as if low value somehow negates fraud processing.

Oh, and then signing up with one name, and paying with a payment account with a completely different name, and then getting pissy when we suspend the account pending an explanation.

There's valid reasons for this disparity, of course, and we accept them, but if we're not told, up front, how/why this is, then we're going to go on the defensive.

• Fight the paypal disputes, you will win.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Hi. I ordered a VPS to support you. Good luck.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

My biggest losses come from the USA, however

@Damian said: What i'm starting to get annoyed with is people who argue with us about our policies and procedures, when:

1). It's our house.

2). Service with us is voluntary. No one is forcing you to purchase service from us.
    3). Everything is laid out in plain text in our AUP/TOS.

I love the "but plz sir its only $2", as if low value somehow negates fraud processing.

Oh, and then signing up with one name, and paying with a payment account with a completely different name, and then getting pissy when we suspend the account pending an explanation.

There's valid reasons for this disparity, of course, and we accept them, but if we're not told, up front, how/why this is, then we're going to go on the defensive.

Yeah this is pretty much what I was getting at, you said it better :)

@Radi Thanks:)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Going to install an ipv6 tunnel now.

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

A solution to the problem is to raise prices, 95% of Chinese high-priced users is a good, low-price products often battered.

@Pzea said: A solution to the problem is to raise prices, 95% of Chinese high-priced users is a good, low-price products often battered.

Hmm I could do that and then no one would sign up and at least the abuse problem would be solved :) haha, they should also make all cars cost at least $1,000,000 to resolve global warming :)

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@anthonysmith

I've had paypal chargebacks before and should you show that you have refunded the money to them, they'll actually reject the chargeback. Make sure you just refund them the transactions and give paypal the full details.

• So two hosts @anthonysmith @jarland have stated that the US is the source of most abuse and yet it is Chinese customers that need to be banned?

@Abdussamad I did not say that, I said the USA has been the largest losses, but pure number of service abuse and disputes etc China wins hands down.

But to be fair look at the population size :) I don't want to stop orders from China, as I have said that just does not seem fair.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

And by the most abuse coming from the US, I mean by far. Granted I'm not as big as some of these guys here so I don't have as much data to base it on.

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2013

@Francisco said: I'm fairly sure almost a year ago I made a comment that it wouldn't be long before others start doing manual approvals of some sort.

you only have to do it because you're pretty much directly selling to china

@AnthonySmith said: But to be fair look at the population size :) I don't want to stop orders from China, as I have said that just does not seem fair.

everybody has the same problem, bro :P Unfortunately, it goes deeper than just stuff online.

• AsimAsim Member

This is such a great project that I have two VMs for the EUR 3 from @AnthonySmith
    These teeny-weeny boxes are competing well with my 512MB VMz in terms of performance so im loving them alright!!

Sad to see that people use such means to abuse such high-spirited/lowest-end-offers

• @Abdussamad said: So two hosts @anthonysmith @jarland have stated that the US is the source of most abuse and yet it is Chinese customers that need to be banned?

I believe that more abuse orders pass Maxmind if its from the USA instead of China.

@HalfEatenPie said: I believe that more abuse orders pass Maxmind if its from the USA

That is very true.

• @AnthonySmith said: I don't want to stop orders from China, as I have said that just does not seem fair.

I'm looking forward to the next LowEndSpirit location and will be buying one regardless. If you're doing this without profit, and at a loss, you should be thinking about what you can use the user community for to mitigate these problems, since they'll be the ones who benefit.

Well a bit of an update, it seems this is one of those super rare occasions where by paypal are on the side of the seller during a charge back, they have agreed not to bang me with fee's after I provided logs etc, they would not tell me too much but I read between the lines and something obviously matches up.

They said they will have to refund the transaction which is fine but they will not charge me any fee's and if it goes the way they think someone could be losing their paypal account very soon :)

Handy when you get through to someone good at PayPal and you can actually have a conversation and explain and submit stuff while on the phone :)

So new location is delayed but not gone, just waiting on IPv6 confirmation from someone.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited March 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Handy when you get through to someone good at PayPal and you can actually have a conversation and explain and submit stuff while on the phone :)

Wait, what? You spoke to a human at PayPal?!

What black magic is this?

• @AnthonySmith said: or perhaps only allowing orders for this product for members that PM me here and have been a member for more than 3 months with 20+ posts.

Best idea. What a friggin lame people you've got man :(