Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VULTR.com does not allow multiple accounts for new customer promos
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VULTR.com does not allow multiple accounts for new customer promos

AleksZAleksZ Member
edited July 2016 in General

Found out that vultr.com gives 50$ to try out they hosting solution, and decided to test it,
after 2 days found out that digitalocean steal perform better and deleted VMs there,
After 1 week got a message that:

You account is DUBLICATE (lol), and 50$ will not apply to you account

So, they are going to bill me for trying our their service.
Keep away from such "great" services

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

OMG is your account REALLY TRULY DUBLICATE???

If it is you should indeed pay the amount you spent there with their free credit.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

To be clear, you attempted to scam them out of money by signing up for a second account to use their promotion that is intended for a one-time use per customer, am I understanding correctly?

• They got you nicely

• hey wait a minute, you mean I shouldnt be signing up new accounts all the time instead of paying?

Thanked by 2Four20 Pwner
  • jarland said: To be clear, you attempted to scam them out of money by signing up for a second account to use their promotion that is intended for a one-time use per customer, am I understanding correctly?

OP doesn't mention anything about a second account, but i'd like to think that this has been manually checked and that's why he's received the e-mail.

I couldn't imagine this being enforceable based on they issued the credit, then removed it a week later? Am i understanding this right?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2016

So wait, you had an account with them, then created a new one and tried to take advantage of a special for 'new customers'? Then you came here to post because you are upset they found out about your duplicate account (fraud) and have found you to be responsible for the credit spent because you opened up a second account fraudulently and took advantage of something that is only meant for new customers?

If you indeed had an account and then opened another trying to take advantage of them then the only person you have to be mad at is your self for being a dishonest prick and you should pay the bill.

If they have incorrectly labeled it as a duplicate account then you should contact them and clarify this and I am sure they will remove the charges for you.

The fact you felt it necessary to come here and open a thread tells me you probably did open a duplicate account and are mad you got caught and are now being held responsible. As such, you got what you deserve and you should pay the bill and move on.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AleksZAleksZ Member
    edited July 2016

I had empty account that was created like 2 years ago, which was created for compare test with digitalocean
    I didn`t create new accounts to scam/spam them, whatever

Basically I FORGOT that I created that account 2 years ago, and signed up for a new (my mailbox check also shows that I didnt have account there before - it was registered on different mail)

And today I found that second account when I log in from work PC.
    Basically, if I had additional promotions money there or any other special promotional accounts related to specific account, then I would agree with that.

But in my situation, it`s just crazy stuff

• spammyspammy Member

@AleksZ said:
    I had empty account that was created like 2 years ago, which was created for compare test with digitalocean

So you basically attempt to steal from Vultr by abusing the terms of the promo code (for new customer only), and now you are calling Vultr the thief...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AleksZAleksZ Member

:facepalm:

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

What a chain

edited July 2016

@AleksZ said:

Basically I FORGOT that I created that account 2 years ago, and signed up for a new (my mailbox check also shows that I didnt have account there before - it was registered on different mail)

And today I found that second account when I log in from work PC.
    Basically, if I had additional promotions money there or any other special promotional accounts related to specific account, then I would agree with that.

Understandable. I'm sure you understand their position as well, they don't forget because they have the records and their job is to prevent people from scamming them. Do you feel that their action was inappropriate? Do you feel that your forgetfulness warrants an exception? How might you have handled the situation differently in their position?

Also, title changed appropriately. I think we can agree that they did not steal anything.

Thanked by 4AleksZ netomx lazyt Pwner
  • Please investigate the term "common sense". Consult a teacher or parent for more information.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Are you honestly surprised that you cannot open multiple accounts to use heir one off promos ? Common sense... Gone...

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @AleksZ said:

Your situation is nothing special, you forgot that you made an account in the past and they called you out on it. Rather than accepting it as "well yeah I messed up" you came here looking to drag their name through the metaphorical mud. Not only did you leave out the fact your DID have a duplicate account with them in the past you claim they were stealing for you when, in this case the opposite is true and you were stealing from them (using promotional credit's which did not apply to you)

You're a real laugh.

• YOUR ACCOUNT IS DUBLICATE (lol) !

Thanked by 1netomx
  • HxxxHxxx Member

This is why Jarland is the best admin here. To the point, no reservations. Keep up the good work.

@jarland said:
    To be clear, you attempted to scam them out of money by signing up for a second account to use their promotion that is intended for a one-time use per customer, am I understanding correctly?

• WinneWinne Member

ASK FOR A REFOUND OMG

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HybridHybrid Member

I think there's a tear in my eye

• AleksZAleksZ Member

@jarland
    well, I expected they will close one of my account, or join them up, but not revoke the promo

• RizRiz Member

@AleksZ said:
    @jarland
    well, I expected they will close one of my account, or join them up, but not revoke the promo

Did you use your promotional value before?

• myhkenmyhken Member

@Riz said:
    Did you use your promotional value before?

Most likely since he compared services between DO and Vultr. So an idiot that should edit his first post, removing comments to stay away from Vultr. People should stay away from OP.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AleksZ said: You account is DUBLICATE

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

@AleksZ said:
    @jarland

So you expected them to keep giving you the credits and just merging your accounts to keep things tidy? Er...really?

Most of these places operate those as loss leaders so if they allowed people to keep doing that they would be up for sale mighty quick. They give you it in hopes that you'll like it and start paying down fat invoices to make up for it.

The only place that seemed to let people make new accounts and keep collecting credit was DO but they were playing with house money anyway so it didn't 'cost' them.

Francisco

• If you wanna compare Vultr and DO, try the same thing with DO and see how they react.

In fact, if you want to scam even more free credits "compare" then use the affiliate link of you existing DO account to create the new one

• kaflokaflo Member

not really Vultr's fault but I tried what you did on Linode when they also had a promo and I got to keep bought accounts. LOL.

@kaflo said:
    not really Vultr's fault but I tried what you did on Linode when they also had a promo and I got to keep bought accounts. LOL.

Proud of yourself ?

• kaflokaflo Member

@Clouvider said:
    Proud of yourself ?

No. Proud of your marketing strategy?

@kaflo said:

@Clouvider said:
    Proud of yourself ?

No. Proud of your marketing strategy?

Of course, but my marketing strategy is unrelated to this thread in any way, if that's what you're trying to imply in the defence of your actions.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've periodically gone through a different checkout line at the store than my wife so we both could use a coupon limited to one customer.

edited July 2016

We've all thought "I'm just one person, they can sustain the loss from little old me cheating this one time."

The picture is different on the other end of the monitor. It's amazing just how many people think they're the only ones doing it, and that it has no real cost that matters.

Later on many of those people complain that the industry can't sustain itself (in less clear words) while meeting their demands so, jokes on them I guess ;)