Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to become a hosting reseller ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to become a hosting reseller ?

Hi there lowendtalk community.
I've been a fan of this site for ages and was planing on becoming a hosting reseller.
In a year i'll have around 5000$ for investment and was thinking of spending it on advertising the reseller website.
I want to sell the shared hosting for a very little montly/yearly fee.
Setting it up / design and everything else ain't no problem, but is there anything that i should know before hitting it off with this project?
How safe is it to rent a dedicated server and resell it?
If it is safe, is for example ovh a good place to buy it cuz the countries i'm targeting are nearby.
Any help and info would mean the world for me <3

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Kinda a little late, isn't it? Summer is half way done.

• IshaqIshaq Member

If you want to start small, I can offer a cPanel reseller account in the UK with SSD storage, R1Soft Backups, Softaculous Installer, PHP Version Selector, Varnish Cache.

This brand is not public yet, but we can get you setup. PM me if you're interested.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2016

With that budget, you should be able to grab a decent reseller/managed cPanel VPS -- however, don't pick hosts like HostGator as they cost too much for what they give.

If this is your first time using cPanel/WHM and managing a server, you can safely forget about getting a dedicated server. In this case, get a managed virtual server or reseller hosting.

As for advertising, start by appealing to local businesses - they're more than happy to pay if you can provide reliable services and go that extra mile to put yourself ahead of competitors. $5000, by the way, will not get you far if you use that to pay for online advertising.

Hope this helps and I wish you the best on your venture.

Thanked by 2masinerija ogx3
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@FlamesRunner nailed it - you could burn $5000 and not get it back. On the other hand, investing time as a salesman for your company (yep, calling people, knocking on doors, attending events, etc.) costs less cash.

It's old, but I still like the book "Your First 1000 Clients in Web Hosting". Google for it and you can easily find download links.

• WHTWHT Member

You may get a Master Reseller or Alpha Reseller for the strart (check my sig please). Once you get some clients you can switch to a VPS or Dedicated server.

Thats a good budget if you know how to use it.

• dailydaily Member
    edited July 2016

@WHT said:
    You may get a Master Reseller or Alpha Reseller for the strart (check my sig please). Once you get some clients you can switch to a VPS or Dedicated server.

A useless post, and you make sure to spam your affiliate link.

Thanked by 2doghouch Junkless
  • I think it's better to start from a LET host that offers cheap reseller hosting (like buyshared) or ask ishaq for a quote. The monthly cost is so low, even if you don't get too many customers, you won't be losing too much. It's a great hobby job to run on free time.

• WHTWHT Member

@daily said:

@WHT said:

A useless post, and you make sure to spam your affiliate link.

Why pintless? Gived an idea how to save money.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

If you have some experience in servers administration you should try our Reseller program. You will be able to resell VPSs and if want you will be able to order for example cPanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, Webmin and so on and resell shared hosting.

We offer great discounts for resellers, even without it our prices are one of the best in EU (starting from 0.66 €/mo. for VPS)

https://www.time4vps.eu/reseller/

• WHT said: Why pintless?

Perhaps the pub is closed.

Thanked by 3Nekki doghouch cassa
  • papa_jipapa_ji Member
    edited July 2016

do not burn your money on buying dedicated server, you should start with reseller hosting and if you start getting good clients then you can upgrade to VPS and laer get Dedicated server for selling shared hosting.
    here is one small article which will give you an idea about starting hosting business
    http://offshorehosting.info/blog/successfully-start-web-hosting-business-reseller/

• Wow, so many posts and i've only posted this last night.
    This is such a great forum guys.
    I know 5k$ ain't a lot for making a good buisness but i could start small.
    I was thinking about reselling OVH dedicated servers.
    For example buy a 32GB Ram, 4/8 c/t , 4tb sata hdd with 1 gbit uplink and upgrade if needed.
    Does anyone have any idea how good ovh is for reselling?
    I know that they don't have an official resell page.
    ^^

• NekkiNekki Veteran

masinerija said: I was thinking about reselling OVH dedicated servers.

Why not listen to the advice you're being given and start with reseller hosting before buying your cash on a dedi?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@masinerija said:
    Wow, so many posts and i've only posted this last night.
    For example buy a 32GB Ram, 4/8 c/t , 4tb sata hdd with 1 gbit uplink and upgrade if needed.
    ^^

Now do you want to resell Dedicated Servers, VPS on your Dedicated or Webhosting?

• masinerijamasinerija Member
    edited July 2016

@Nekki said:

masinerija said: I was thinking about reselling OVH dedicated servers.

Why not listen to the advice you're being given and start with reseller hosting before buying your cash on a dedi?

I'm sorry, that was a great idea.
    I gues i'll start with reseller hosting.
    Is there any europe based reseller hosting that have good speed?

@Ympker said:

@masinerija said:
    Wow, so many posts and i've only posted this last night.
    ^^

Now do you want to resell Dedicated Servers, VPS on your Dedicated or Webhosting?

Well, for the beginning i was thinking about starting only with webhosting and if everything goes great then maybe start with vps and dedicated hosting plans.
    Soo, do you know any good europe based hosting reseller? <3

• Once again, @WHT:

(credits to @raindog368 for the extra section)

• Also @masinerija - BuyShared has some reliable reseller hosting in Luxembourg as well as Las Vegas.

Their website: http://BuyShared.net

(tagging @Francisco to see if he can help)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

My advice is to get a cheap yearly reseller from a host your trust and just setup a site, push some places like WHT, etc. Lets do some quick math:

• Cost of the reseller: $20/year for 20GB space
    • Make $5/year 1GB space (or smaller) offer
    • Sell it all without any oversell for $200/year or so revenue

You would have to cover things like WHMCS but that's fairly affordable at $8~$14/month depending on if the host has a NOC license.

If your key market is shared I highly recommend against you buying a dedicated and such unless you really are OK with losing the money if things go poorly. A reseller account is incredibly affordable and would be a fair safe way to do things.

Francisco

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • An inquiry that is asked quite frequently. Above all else we must point out that web hosting is not a get rich quick brisk or an easy business to run. It takes a lot of patience, technical knowledge and a solid background in Computer Science to run a successful and solid web hosting business. Few may differ with this, especially with the advancement of "Control Panels" that makes it easier for anyone to get a pre-built server and start hosting sites. In all actuality, it's not really that simple. Yes you can lease a dedicated server from a provider and start hosting sites once you are familiar with the control panels. If you're starting small I would highly recommend getting Linux cPanel/WHM and Windows Parallels Plesk Reseller plans and WHMCS to manage billing and hosting products start with. PM me if you need any help/assistance, I will be more than happy to get you started.

• @HostPace said:
    An inquiry that is asked quite frequently. Above all else we must point out that web hosting is not a get rich quick brisk or an easy business to run. It takes a lot of patience, technical knowledge and a solid background in Computer Science to run a successful and solid web hosting business. Few may differ with this, especially with the advancement of "Control Panels" that makes it easier for anyone to get a pre-built server and start hosting sites. In all actuality, it's not really that simple. Yes you can lease a dedicated server from a provider and start hosting sites once you are familiar with the control panels. If you're starting small I would highly recommend getting Linux cPanel/WHM and Windows Parallels Plesk Reseller plans and WHMCS to manage billing and hosting products start with. PM me if you need any help/assistance, I will be more than happy to get you started.

I object: Johnny didn't have a degree and managed to shake up plenty of €€€£££$$$

• dailydaily Member
    edited July 2016

@HostPace said:

Please read the rules here.

Signatures may contain only text, with a maximum of two lines, and hyperlinks, with a maximum of three in total.

Thanked by 2doghouch bersy
  • @doghouch said:

I object: Johnny didn't have a degree and managed to shake up plenty of €€€£££$$$

Johnny was talent, class and he was a smartass you can't compare him with others!

Thanked by 1doghouch

@WebGuru said:

@doghouch said:

Johnny was talent, class and he was a smartass you can't compare him with others!

Yes, pretending you're going to kill yourself is a very talented skill.

Francisco

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2016

@WebGuru said:

@doghouch said:

I just did. (shots fired failed meme ik ik)

• @Francisco said:

@WebGuru said:

@doghouch said:

Yes, pretending you're going to kill yourself is a very talented skill.

Francisco

You really need to buy a Sarcasm Detector ;)

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Francisco said:
    My advice is to get a cheap yearly reseller from a host your trust and just setup a site, push some places like WHT, etc. Lets do some quick math:

• Cost of the reseller: $20/year for 20GB space
    • Make $5/year 1GB space (or smaller) offer
    • Sell it all without any oversell for $200/year or so revenue

You would have to cover things like WHMCS but that's fairly affordable at $8~$14/month depending on if the host has a NOC license.

If your key market is shared I highly recommend against you buying a dedicated and such unless you really are OK with losing the money if things go poorly. A reseller account is incredibly affordable and would be a fair safe way to do things.

Francisco

About the imaginary 1GB Webhosting plan:
    Is there still this much demand for such small plans? I mean, personally i alaways look for larger bundles but tbh 1gb is plenty if not used for a media sharing website or the like.
    Also bw is always an issue with reselling. Should keep that in mind when looking for a reseller plan aswell :) In Germany most Providers offer a traffic flatrate (same goes for lots of german vps companies) however companies from LET or other global companies in my experience like to refrain from the idea of selling "flatrates".

@Ympker - There's always people looking for something small to host email, a very small site, etc. I put it as a simple plan that shouldn't be hard to sell. The customer would have to sell a total of 4 of them in a year to cover his initial costs, shouldn't be overly hard :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • My .00002BTC is to start with a reseller account. Start off slowly, when you're getting clients. You can move to VM/Dedicate later.

Otherwise, you will burn your money real fast without any ROI.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

Let me play devil's advocate here and offer some contrarian advice for you to consider ;)

Do not - repeat not! - start with any Reseller Plan. Start bigger and learn the ropes: get a dedi or at least a KVM and take control of the technical backend. If you don't know how things work and can't handle that part, you should invest in some other business. This will also allow you to build your own brand. Assuming you can find a profitable niche for yourself plus deliver a stable service, notable customer support at a competitive price, your brand will be key to growing your business.

Are you likely to burn through your money faster this way? Definitely! So do some cashflow projections to see how long you can last for. See if this is feasible, i.e. sustainable for, say, 6 months before you manage to break even.

If you are thinking of offering VPS hosting at some point, when choosing your upstream, make sure they offer BGP support at reasonable rates, preferably free. Next, get your own IPv4/IPv6 /22 (or at the very least /24) allocation as soon as possible.

Good luck with your business venture :)

• imokimok Member

Tools like whoishostingthis.com tell your clients who is your provider. When becoming a reseller, how to prevent this? (if it's possible)