Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU and Disk "overselling" (not really) in Xen?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CPU and Disk "overselling" (not really) in Xen?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited March 2013 in General

Two things I need to determine:
1. How does CPU work in Xen? Does each VPS get all of one core? so let's say I have 8 cores on the node, I can only fit 4 VPS if they have 2 cores each? Or can I share them? Also how do I give higher VPS plans more priority?
2. It is such a waste of disk space to allocate a lot of disk, that is not going to be used. I'm tempted just to use OpenVZ because of this. I am assuming due to how Xen creates a virtual disk for every VPS it can not be oversold? But OpenVZ has a poor reputation :(

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited March 2013

You can oversell HDD on Xen, you just have to know how ;)

Thanked by 1Maxsam4
  • Every virtual machine gets 1 cpu, the other 4 would be wasted. 8 cores means you can have a max of 8 VMs with no leftover CPUs

• Dragoon0309Dragoon0309 Member
    edited March 2013

http://bit.ly/Wn0Eb5

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with balloons. Maybe the more helium the more you can fit? Idk.

• @texteditor said: Every virtual machine gets 1 cpu, the other 4 would be wasted. 8 cores means you can have a max of 8 VMs with no leftover CPUs

That is why you don't really find XEN VPS anymore :(

• Yeah it's one core per VM, that's why Xen is usually better, but more expensive. It's probably best if you get something cheap like a dual L5420 because then you can fit 8 xen vms on a cheap server.

• @Spencer I know right! I think that's why everyone went KVM, as it lets you use hyperthreaded cores as real cores, so you can fit 16 to a server instead of 8

• @Dragoon0309 said: I know right! I think that's why everyone went KVM, as it lets you use hyperthreaded cores as real cores, so you can fit 16 to a server instead of 8

you don't have to dedicate a core to a KVM VPS.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Wait, so I can't share cores? Really?

• Kinda if you have hyperthreading support, but it's not 100% stable if I remember

• @shovenose said: Wait, so I can't share cores? Really?

Yes...
    That is why everybody is doing KVM now

• @shovenose Nope! KVM let's you use hyperthreaded cores though. That's why the LEB market is small for xen and at least a bit bigger for KVM.

• bitronictechbitronictech Member
    edited March 2013

I haven't really run into this issue with Xen. I have 16 VMs running on a box with 8 cores although it does have 16 threads. Also the Dom0 with 0 problems under Xen.

KVM you are still stuck with one per core right?

@bitronictech how do you give them a certain amount of clock speed rather than cores? Can I give each person like 1GHz and if the server is 3GHz Quad Core with HyperThreading I could put 24 VPS?

• Dragoon0309Dragoon0309 Member
    edited March 2013

@Shovenose yes, but you can use hyperthreaded cores as a core.

Also idk how @bitronictech does it, he may be thinking of Xen HVM.

But you cant assign clock speed per vps.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Quad AMDs = 64 cores = 64 VMs, enjoy

• CPU cap :) but it only works on KVM.

How does BurstNET make a profit?
    http://burst.net/xenvps.shtml

@shovenose Large company

• @shovenose using really old hardware that they already own. They also own the datacenter and land and everything. Stuff is cheaper when you own it and don't have to rent!

• @shovenose said: How does BurstNET make a profit?

And AFAIK a lot of their nodes are those like AMD 64 core ones

Quad AMD 6274 to be precise

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited March 2013
    virsh # nodeinfo  
    CPU model:           x86_64
    CPU(s):              4
    CPU frequency:       3400 MHz
    CPU socket(s):       1
    Core(s) per socket:  4
    Thread(s) per core:  1
    NUMA cell(s):        1
    Memory size:         32851016 KiB

virsh # list
     Id    Name                           State
    ----------------------------------------------------
     1     kvm117                         running
     2     kvm139                         running
     5     kvm138                         running
     7     kvm124                         running
     8     kvm141                         running
     9     kvm118                         running
     10    kvm119                         running
     13    kvm132                         running
     14    kvm140                         running
     15    kvm127                         running
     16    kvm125                         running
     18    kvm152                         running
     20    kvm150                         running
     21    kvm143                         running
     22    kvm135                         running
     23    kvm122                         running
     24    kvm112                         running
     26    kvm148                         running
     27    kvm153                         running
     29    kvm154                         running
     33    kvm149                         running
     34    kvm130                         running
     37    kvm151                         running
     56    kvm144                         running
     58    kvm123                         running
     62    kvm146                         running
     64    kvm147                         running
     74    kvm142                         running
     78    kvm155                         running
     83    kvm156                         running
     87    kvm109                         running
     89    kvm136                         running
     91    kvm158                         running

A lot more than 1 KVM VPS per core running on one of my KVM nodes. Most of the VMs have 4 cores assigned too.

Hmm, @dmmcintyre3 how is that possible? Do you think it is easy or hard to set up KVM node? Also can I oversell disk, RAM, etc. or not?

• RAM can be oversold, but most VMs will use almost all of what they are assigned. KSM can help, but not much. Disk can't be oversold easily (SolusVM uses LVM). I didn't do anything special to put more than 1 VM on each core. I just made the VMs from SolusVM.

• @shovenose @dmmcintyre3 he must be joking because its not possible or its not KVM. You can't oversell memory (that's why you said they take up almost all what they are assigned.) CPU's can't be oversold either. Its just how it works.

• krokro Member

You can oversell all resources hdd cpu ram on kvm vz xen. Stop being silly.

with xen, you can share cores like normal. Vcpu/cpu/cpus look @ xen docs bro.

This is a mean dump too, wipe time

• You can't share cores in Xen??? Then how the xen providers like Inception @AnthonySmith can do that pricing scheme? Sounds weird

• OttoYiuOttoYiu Member
    edited March 2013

@Dragoon0309 said: @shovenose @dmmcintyre3 he must be joking because its not possible or its not KVM. You can't oversell memory (that's why you said they take up almost all what they are assigned.) CPU's can't be oversold either. Its just how it works.

What you said is incorrect; The cores are virtualized on Xen, and on KVM, so it is possible to assign each VM with virtual cores up to the number of physical cores available on the node (eg. you can have 10 VMs with 8 virtual cores each, if you are running on an 8 core CPU). Due to the scheduling overhead, you will most likely take a performance hit for assigning too many virtual cores.

• @Dragoon0309 said: @shovenose @dmmcintyre3 he must be joking because its not possible or its not KVM. You can't oversell memory (that's why you said they take up almost all what they are assigned.) CPU's can't be oversold either. Its just how it works.

You can oversell memory on KVM. I can't remember how it was done, but I remember an example with an SSD for swap and just overload the node.