Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My review on WholeSaleInternet...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My review on WholeSaleInternet...

forevermanforeverman Member
edited July 2016 in Reviews

WholeSaleInternet failed to deliver a good service in the past 2 months... I opened lots of tickets about it and they respond using an automated system, they give no refunds for the downtime and give no fuc*s about anyone.

Every week this month my services when down for at least 2 hours... during the day... can you imagine your company losing 2 hours of the day every week ?

Support team does solve the problem in their own time, but it's not enough.

I'm moving to another provider but the downtime occurred when I paid for another full month of service... I asked for a partial refund, but an automated system responds if you write the word REFUND in your ticket.. saying they dont issue refunds once the server is online.

Its sad... they have good servers... too bad they cant keep them on... its like they say... you get what you pay for...

Comments

• stasistasi Member

isnt that bad for me.

• forevermanforeverman Member
    edited July 2016

@Zen said:

foreverman said: can you imagine your company losing 2 hours of the day every week ?

Nope, wouldn't host company-related services on a budget service and complain when I get what I pay for :P

so tell me, why would you get a $99 server if not to host "company-related" services ? to play around ?

• tommytommy Member
    edited July 2016

For playing, and sell vps for leb user

Cluster f*k

• thats why that company is so bad, people keep defending them even when the service is bad...

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited July 2016

After dealing with budget dedicated server providers for the past 4-5 years, if a provider doesn't support remote access (ILO/DRAC/IPMI) and doesn't say it on their front page. RUN AWAY.

If you see "preconfigured setup" in a hardware configuration, RUN AWAY.

WSI was bearable when offering KVM access but after getting 2 servers with them over the past month and unable to charge my credit card which I use on everybody else after initially using my credit card to order, I remembered why I left WSI the first time.

One of their templates is messed up and I had to hand hold their support team through fixing it, it was fixed once and for some reason started acting up again. They tried to throw "unsupported OS" at me but quickly realized, they provided the template!

Don't let WSI be your "drunk girlfriend" you go back to because she's cheap, easy and looks attractive when you're drunk. Put a reminder up somewhere to save yourself the hassle.

• and yet there are still so many reviews :D

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2016

Pay for what you get. Ordering cheap servers and crying afterwards... LOL

It is not possible to make good support with low prices.

Cheap servers + decent hardware = no support, slow support, unprofessional student level support.

Cheap servers + good support = low end hardware, very old hardware low resources

Decent hardware + good support - High price.

If you can't afford to pay more, just leave business or be patient and stop crying.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I found WSI support so incapable that they put 3 failed disks in my server, one after the other and after each one had died. In the end, support didn't respond to me, and neither did they respond to the PayPal dispute.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@hawc said:
    I found WSI support so incapable that they put 3 failed disks in my server, one after the other and after each one had died. In the end, support didn't respond to me, and neither did they respond to the PayPal dispute.

Only part that surprises me is that they ignored the paypal dispute :P

• mtoledocemtoledoce Member
    edited July 2016

I have 2 servers Dual E5-2670 with WSI, +99% uptime 2 months, any critic production there but a great testing environment and game servers.. even better hardware than production but I can't trust yet.
    In few words, support is like first days of ChicagoVPS or worst.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@bacloud said:
    Pay for what you get. Ordering cheap servers and crying afterwards... LOL

It is not possible to make good support with low prices.

Cheap servers + decent hardware = no support, slow support, unprofessional student level support.

Cheap servers + good support = low end hardware, very old hardware low resources

Decent hardware + good support - High price.

If you can't afford to pay more, just leave business or be patient and stop crying.

Could have summarized it better with -

• rdesrdes Member
    edited July 2016

They had a tough month, but I'm using them from 2011 and they're still one of best cheap providers in US. They have real 24/7 onsite staff and responding to tickets even on late night in Kansas, which is even uncertain on really big DCs like OVH. If you know how to talk to them (not in the "I'm loosing hundred bilion dollars per minute because of downtime" way) they do they job quite well. Instant server and IP provsisiong are also a big pluses.

OS templates are indeed not best (why they not support any kind of RAID?!) but installing own CentOS via VNC using rescue system is taking about 15 minutes, so there's no big problem.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@rdes said:
    They had a tough month, but I'm using them from 2011 and they're still one of best cheap providers in US. They have real 24/7 onsite staff and responding to tickets even on late night in Kansas, which is even uncertain on really big DCs like OVH. If you know how to talk to them (not in the "I'm loosing hundred bilion dollars per minute because of downtime" way) they do they job quite well. Instant server and IP provsisiong are also a big pluses.

OS templates are indeed not best (why they not support any kind of RAID?!) but installing own CentOS via VNC using rescue system is taking about 15 minutes, so there's no big problem.

Off topic but OVH definitely has on site staff around the clock. I've had hardware replacements scheduled in their Canada datacenter at various times (2:00 - 5:00 AM) and they did it exactly at that time.

But yeah, it's definitely good for such as cheap provider like WSI to have 24/7 on site, when they realistically shouldn't.

Thanked by 1Verelox
  • rdesrdes Member
    edited July 2016

@MikeA: yes, OVH have 24/7 staff in datacenter, but as I can see, from some time any tickets created in OVH manager seems to have been going first to regional OVH offices (and most of them working something like 9am-5pm), and then, after verification they forward them to datacenter.

Of course, if server is totally down, they're detect it automatically via their pinging system and there's info about techs being checking things in XX minutes, but sometimes problems are more complex.
    There's also some emergency number to main office, but last time I used it, they speak only in French, so I can't admit if it really work.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

rdes said: they're still one of best cheap providers in US. They have real 24/7 onsite staff and responding to tickets even on late night in Kansas

^^ This. I use them for months now, downtime is minor compared to the price. IMHO, it is freat for production state, also, if you have another setup in another provider for redudancy / failover (as me)

• I've had a Core2Quad for almost a year now, until this past week I had 100% uptime. This week I had a few hours of downtime due to a power outage. For $15/month I am very happy with this service and my customers are very happy with the service I provide through it. I keep daily backups, I have a standby VPS I can switch to if there is a long term issue. But, 2 hours downtime in 10 months of service is a pretty good track record for me. I've spent much more and received worse uptime than that. I've also found support to be fast and competent when I have needed them.

• sinsin Member
    edited July 2016

bacloud said: It is not possible to make good support with low prices.

That's simply not true, I use a ton of cheap providers and many of them offer fantastic support.

Thanked by 2doughmanes lazyt
  • @sin said:

bacloud said: It is not possible to make good support with low prices.

That's simply not true, I use a ton of cheap providers and many of them offer fantastic support.

Thats right, I dont think that if you pay cheap for a service it should be crap, these days it doesnt matter if the price is cheap or not, if its not good people are gonna complain and change providers...

If you cant provide good services you cant blame it on the price...

• @foreverman said:
    Thats right, I dont think that if you pay cheap for a service it should be crap.

I think you may lack a basic understanding of economics.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • forevermanforeverman Member
    edited July 2016

@Microlinux said:

@foreverman said:
    Thats right, I dont think that if you pay cheap for a service it should be crap.

I think you live with a twisted idea of life... new brands can make good stuff with cheaper price then the leader ones... its not because its cheap its crap...

Anyway... this topic should be closed... glad I'm not from US... people are crazy there

• @foreverman said:
    glad I'm not from US... people are crazy there

When you don't have any substance, hurl insults.

• @Microlinux said:

@foreverman said:
    glad I'm not from US... people are crazy there

When you don't have any substance, hurl insults.

Thats right... say what you want... dont care anyways

• akhfaakhfa Member

@rdes said:

Can you tell me the step how to do this?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@rdes Have you ever tried something like this for a bare metal hypervisor, like proxmox or esxi?

• rdesrdes Member

No, I've only installed CentOS6 couple times. But it should working with any OS installer that support VNC.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @Microlinux said:

@foreverman said:

He's right though. I have a LEB I'm paying $9 a year for and the support is excellent compared to one of the more expensive ones I have (about $15 a month). It all depends on the business model. Sure, a lot of businesses are willing to sell crap for rock bottom prices. However there's the occasional host who figures out what marketing is all about and sells services with little to none profit knowing it'll gain customers for yearsto come and probably on more expensive plans as they delivered excellent service on their leb products.

Thanked by 1foreverman
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2016

@Saragoldfarb said:
    He's right though. I have a LEB I'm paying $9 a year for and the support is excellent compared to one of the more expensive ones I have (about $15 a month). It all depends on the business model. Sure, a lot of businesses are willing to sell crap for rock bottom prices. However there's the occasional host who figures out what marketing is all about and sells services with little to none profit knowing it'll gain customers for yearsto come and probably on more expensive plans as they delivered excellent service on their leb products.

Providing a dirt cheap VPS is in no way comparable to providing dirt cheap dedicated servers from a cost/infrastructure standpoint.

But, I get what you are trying to say. Yes, sometimes you get lucky and buy something dirt cheap that works better than something more expensive. Sure, sometimes a business will offer a loss leader - but that is clearly not WSI's model.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at WSI, then look elsewhere and understand you're giving something up. Power, network, upstreams, those are things where you get what you pay for.

• I have Bad experiance with pre-sales questions -i don't get an answer :) but they have very cheap servers i think this why support is not very well.

• Ahh the ancient art of Necromancy