Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ 7.0 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ 7.0

Comments

• @jarland said:

@JoeMerit said:
    I think whatever provider launches ovz 7 first will see MASSIVE PROFITS.

I'm prepared to spend up to $1.50. Should I open a thread asking for providers to fight for it?

1.5 Zimbabwean dollar? You are a rich man stay away from LET these provider will take all your money!

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2016

JoeMerit said: I think whatever provider launches ovz 7 first will see MASSIVE PROFITS.

I am not sure i see the benefits of ovz 7, both for the provider and for the customer. From what i understand it's a half assed KVM. What would make it better than plain KVM?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I was talking to one of the sales guys for Virtuozzo a bit yesterday evening. While I didn't talk to him about OpenVZ, I'm really interested in where Virtuozzo itself is going. From what he was telling me, licensing costs are WAY down from what they used to be. With their own RHEL7 based distro running both KVM and VZ containers in the same system. He also mentioned some high availability features for containers in VZ7.

All things considered, interested to see where Virtuozzo is headed. OpenVZ obviously benefits from their commercial success, so I hope they continue to do well.

• jarland said: I'm prepared to spend up to $1.50. Should I open a thread asking for providers to fight for it?

If some provider stuck their neck out and offered ovz 7 in the next 24 hours, I'd be willing to give them $1.50 too.

Open thread!

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

So if I'm not mistaken VM = KVM , Container = VZ right ?

• @rds100 said:
    . From what i understand it's a half assed KVM. What would make it better than plain KVM?

What information leads to you to believe "it's a half-assed KVM"?

https://docs.openvz.org/openvz_readme.webhelp/_what_8217_s_new.html.

• @BharatB said:
    So if I'm not mistaken VM = KVM , Container = VZ right ?

Right.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Microlinux perhaps i misunderstood, but they are talking about KVM/qemu.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2016

@JoeMerit

I can offer you a 1MB of memory VPS with 16MB of disk space. Only $1.50/month :D

• @FlamesRunner said:
    @JoeMerit

I can offer you a 1MB of memory VPS with 16MB of disk space. Only $1.50/month :D

psst, too cheap. $1.5/sec is what I'm ready to pay

• @rds100 said:
    @Microlinux perhaps i misunderstood, but they are talking about KVM/qemu.

There is now native support for running both "Virtual Machines" (KVM/variant) and "Containers" (traditional OpenVZ "jails").

• rds100rds100 Member

@Microlinux but you could do that even now, with the current OpenVZ kernels. The KVM modules are supported.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Well no need to writing separate shit for managing both I guess.

• Downloading VZ-7.0.0-495-x86_64-DVD.iso on Vultr now...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

It's more native under the same controls. Problem is with VZCTL going away 'very soon', things need to move to the new stuff, or use libvirt for everything. Here's the issues people will have:

• SolusVM/OnApp isn't going to commit this as a code update for SolusVM 1 and I have a good feeling that SolusVM 2 doesn't have this supported either
    • Even if they did get it supported initially, they'll have to do a major overhaul to support the p*ctl controls and keep supporting things
    • Merging to libvirt would be ideal for OVZ7 but that would require a complete rewrite of their node side code to happen.

The biggest fear I would have as a SolusVM vendor would be them supporting UUID's, an update comes down the pipe throwing vzctl support out, and now you have countless customers with broken nodes.

I think it's really careless of Virtuozzo to do this considering 99%+ of the *VZ market is using OpenVZ and not Virtuozzo. The change to UUID's and such is going to mean adoption is going to be very slow.

No one in their right mind is going to use LXC for untrusted users. While they claim it's secure, LXC wasn't designed with multi-tenant/customer hosting/etc in mind, meaning it's a matter of time before someone fucks up their apparmor or the likes and gets their /dev/sd*'s zeroed.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @rds100 said:
    @Microlinux but you could do that even now, with the current OpenVZ kernels. The KVM modules are supported.

Both types are now natively managed.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Francisco Do you plan to integrate OVZ7 into Stallion?

@Awmusic12635 said:
    @Francisco Do you plan to integrate OVZ7 into Stallion?

Sure, in time, but personally we're looking to sweeten our KVM offers up some to get as many of our users moving over to that. It's just a lot easier for us to develop and a lot less bullshit.

Ideally the only plan that'll be left on OpenVZ will be the 128MB's, but my hope with the new plan I got in mind is to pull users off there too.

Francisco

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

I'm not going to do anything until Solus says they are ready for it. Some of the things I am reading about Solus makes me a little worried about staying with them, so if they drag their heels on this it might be the time to look at moving to something else.

Unless OVZ 7 is miraculously totally stable and ready to go almost immediately (unlike just about every other virtualization project...ever), I don't see myself using this in production for at least another year and that might be too optimistic.

I will be using it eventually. I can move my existing openvz containers to it based on what the upgrade guide says. It appears I can do in place upgrades by migrating them somewhere else temporarily, updating the OS, then migrating back. So that is kinda nice.

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

It's not production ready - period. We've had it on an OVH box for a fair while now and it's up and down like a yoyo. To get SolusVM working with V7 we've only had to make 2 changes this far, however it's reliant on vzctl and that will most likely change over time.

Thanked by 2colingpt steny
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2016

https://docs.openvz.org/openvz_users_guide.pdf some interesting documentation for version 7.

Also https://openvz.org/Screencasts

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

I'm tempted to try just connect these servers directly to WHMCS instead of using a 3rd party control panel. I'm often doing things on command line or in WHMCS anyways. I know there is or was at least one OpenVZ provisioning module for WHMCS at one time.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

@SolusVM

OVZ 7 allow to run Containers and KVM/QEMU in the same node (like Proxmox),

are you going to implement this?

What about migrations from OVZ 6?

and from KVM in external servers?

Some ETA / BETA version ?

• MadMad Member

@jmginer said:
    @SolusVM

I asked them the 29th July and this has been their reply:

"We will update the openvz in centos 7 shortly. "

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jmginer said:
    @SolusVM

For what it's worth I don't think the OpenVZ project is providing an upgrade path from existing to the new setup. A workaround may be available.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

jarland said: For what it's worth I don't think the OpenVZ project is providing an upgrade path from existing to the new setup. A workaround may be available.

http://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_7_upgrade_guide/upgrading-from-openvz-to-virtuozzo-7/migrating-containers-from-openvz-based-on-2.6.18-and-2.6.32-to-virtuozzo-7.html

This will upgrade containers, though you still need a separate vz 7 install

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Microlinux said:

@rds100 said:
    . From what i understand it's a half assed KVM. What would make it better than plain KVM?

What information leads to you to believe "it's a half-assed KVM"?

https://docs.openvz.org/openvz_readme.webhelp/_what_8217_s_new.html.

I share @rds100's confusion after having read the initial post mainly because of the way it was worded. I'll have to dig into it a bit to understand all the details, but from what I get right now is that KVM and OpenVZ just share the hypervisor.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

From what I can gather, you can upgrade OpenVZ containers but not the physical server. I can probably live with that.

It should be possible to move a KVM Hypervisor over as well since they are supporting KVM natively. At least for QCOW.

• Francisco said: the new plan I got in mind is to pull users off there too.

I'm all ears :)

@rajprakash said:

Francisco said: the new plan I got in mind is to pull users off there too.

I'm all ears :)

Check the kvm slices on the homepage good sir.

Francisco