Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Required Dedicated Server for the Online Education Exam Software to handle 5K concurrent users
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Required Dedicated Server for the Online Education Exam Software to handle 5K concurrent users

Required Dedicated Server for the Online Education Exam Software to handle 5K concurrent users with 100% uptime and server won't be crashed guarantee.

Comments

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

What is the software name? What is the software server requirements? How many resources needed per 50/100/200 users? Please provide as much information as you can, because I am 100% sure that no one in this forum will not be able to tell you what server parameters is needed for 100% uptime without a crash. We do not want to do magic tricks.

Thanked by 1MiteshGanatra
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What's location are you looking for and what's your budget ?

• @bacloud said:
    What is the software name? What is the software server requirements? How many resources needed per 50/100/200 users? Please provide as much information as you can, because I am 100% sure that no one in this forum will not be able to tell you what server parameters is needed for 100% uptime without a crash. We do not want to do magic tricks.

This is custom made software running on PHP and MySQL. Currently we're having a server with GoDaddy and the configuration is 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 4 Cores and Unmetered Bandwidth. What is happening with their server is once the 400 users are connected to give online exams, server don't crash but the next user no. 401 is not connecting. They provide the 100% server uptime guarantee, but unfortunately not able to handle more users.

• MiteshGanatraMiteshGanatra Member
    edited July 2016

@Clouvider said:
    What's location are you looking for and what's your budget ?

This is mainly for the Indian Colleges and Universities, I think the Asian server would be preferable, but US/UK data center won't be any issue cause we are planning to use CloudFlare CDN. Also, there is NO sure budget for the requirements. All we want is 100% uptime and server won't be crashed guarantee.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@MiteshGanatra said:

@bacloud said:

This is custom made software running on PHP and MySQL. Currently we're having a server with GoDaddy and the configuration is 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 4 Cores and Unmetered Bandwidth. What is happening with their server is once the 400 users are connected to give online exams, server don't crash but the next user no. 401 is not connecting. They provide the 100% server uptime guarantee, but unfortunately not able to handle more users.

First of all, no one in this work can't guarantee 100% uptime. If they telling that they do - they simply lie.

I recommend to increase RAM and change HDD's to SSD's in RAID10. Not sure about CPU loads, you can tell us more of you manage this server.

• VereloxVerelox Member
    edited July 2016

MiteshGanatra said: What is happening with their server is once the 400 users are connected to give online exams, server don't crash but the next user no. 401 is not connecting

It's hard to tell what the issue might be. Do you receive any HTTP error messages, or does it time-out? Also, at that time, are you out of resources? (i.e RAM/SWAP/etc)

Perhaps you can run a load test and monitor how the resources get used (i.e try loader.io) so that you can estimate the resources you would need. We have an X3430 server with 16 GB and 2x1 TB HDD in stock, and we can provide up to 128 GB of RAM on higher CPUs (i.e in case NL is fine) if you think you might need more resources.

• India, go with @LeapSwitch.

Singapore (dedi is better for the purpose?):

• LeaseWeb

• NewMedia Express

• MridulMridul Member

You can try Ctrls.com. They are pretty solid.
    for cheaper options try XINIX.IN or LeapSwitch.com

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@MiteshGanatra said:
    server don't crash but the next user no. 401 is not connecting.

looks like connection limit to me. did you check the logs?

Thanked by 2Falzo MiteshGanatra
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@theroyalstudent said:
    India, go with @LeapSwitch.

• LeaseWeb

• NewMedia Express
      @Mridul said:

We offer Managed Services to a lot of clients with similar levels of traffic in our India and USA locations. We can also do load balancing across multiple servers, MySQL Galera clusters, GlusterFS file replication etc. You can reach me on Skype - leapswitch , or Email - ishan at leapswitch.com to discuss your requirements in detail.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Database connection limit, try distribution across multiple vps. This will allow you your "100%" uptime, which is allmost impossible to do with a single server.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

If this is a product and you have budgeted for success, then perhaps google appengine will help you with scaling properly.

• this sounds more like your custom software wrecking hard than a server issue

• Problem probably exists between HTTP connection and the hardware. -> your software stack needs tuning first.

What is your RAM budget per user?
    Do some profiling for your PHP loads and actions with 10, then 50, then 100 test users doing real clicks with random timers.

When in doubt throw more hardware at the problem.

I am guessing, You only need these resources for a short period.
    Talk to DigitalOcean Bangalore about spinning up a bunch of PHP frontends and a large RAM database VM at the particular pre-arranged time.

Try some or all of those random suggestions that are based on knowing very little about your setup.

• HostPaceHostPace Member
    edited July 2016

You would want to have a load-balancing servers. Load Balancers manage online traffic by distributing workloads across multiple servers and resources on demand. They maximize your workload performance and help prevent overload to help give your users a seamless experience. I would recommend HAProxy configuration with at least 2 servers to accommodate it.

• StackNetworkStackNetwork Member, Host Rep

We can offer a good dedicated server in US. You may please look at https://thestack.net/site/serverla

Meantime, you can simply mail us your exact specification so we can discuss it further. Our mail address is [email protected]

• Try Digitalocean Indian location.

• No single server is 100% uptime guarantee.

Big companies offer good SLA, eg. AWS offers 99.95% uptime SLA on their EC2. 100% uptime is basically a joke.

• @bacloud said:
    First of all, no one in this work can't guarantee 100% uptime. If they telling that they do - they simply lie.

I recommend to increase RAM and change HDD's to SSD's in RAID10. Not sure about CPU loads, you can tell us more of you manage this server.

I see, however 100% uptime SLA will work out and numerous organizations guarantee to give what it is mentioned in their SLA.

• @Verelox said:
    It's hard to tell what the issue might be. Do you receive any HTTP error messages, or does it time-out? Also, at that time, are you out of resources? (i.e RAM/SWAP/etc)

Perhaps you can run a load test and monitor how the resources get used (i.e try loader.io) so that you can estimate the resources you would need. We have an X3430 server with 16 GB and 2x1 TB HDD in stock, and we can provide up to 128 GB of RAM on higher CPUs (i.e in case NL is fine) if you think you might need more resources.

We ran bunches of tests and found there was server side issues, they ensure their servers in some way or another and don't reveal why they are doing as such. Thus, searching for new provider.

• @theroyalstudent said:
    India, go with @LeapSwitch.

• LeaseWeb

• NewMedia Express

Will consider, thanks for your suggestion.

• @Mridul said:

Will consider, thanks for your suggestion.

• @exception0x876 said:

@MiteshGanatra said:
    server don't crash but the next user no. 401 is not connecting.

looks like connection limit to me. did you check the logs?

Did that mate and they put the limit to protect their servers. They ensure their servers in some way or another and don't reveal why they are doing as such.

• @MiteshGanatra said:
    I see, however 100% uptime SLA will work out and numerous organizations guarantee to give what it is mentioned in their SLA.

Make sure you understand what an SLA is. It doesn't guarantee up time, it's an agreement that you will be reimbursed for the cost of your services during the time they are down.

Make special note that you will not be reimbursed for loss of business or inconvenience. If you pay a provider $30/mo and your services are down for 1 day, you'll get a $1 minus the reasonable repair time clause.

This whole thing sounds like a train wreck, but . . .

• @vimalware said:
    Problem probably exists between HTTP connection and the hardware. -> your software stack needs tuning first.

Do some profiling for your PHP loads and actions with 10, then 50, then 100 test users doing real clicks with random timers.

Talk to DigitalOcean Bangalore about spinning up a bunch of PHP frontends and a large RAM database VM at the particular pre-arranged time.

Try some or all of those random suggestions that are based on knowing very little about your setup.

We did every one of the tests and discovered they set the points of limits of their servers. We expanded the concurrent limits from apache yet did not fill in as there were impacts reason for server side.

• @HostPace said:
    You would want to have a load-balancing servers. Load Balancers manage online traffic by distributing workloads across multiple servers and resources on demand. They maximize your workload performance and help prevent overload to help give your users a seamless experience. I would recommend HAProxy configuration with at least 2 servers to accommodate it.

Thanks mate. That's what I was looking for to load-balance the servers beginning with three 8 Gigs of servers and will expand the RAMs as it requires in the future. I just PMed you, please revert me back with your suggestions to consider.

Thanked by 1HostPace
  • GCatGCat Member

If you are looking still, we can offer:

SQL Server (Shared) :

16 GB RAM

4x512 GB SSD

Front-end:

120 GB Storage Space

Unmetered Bandwidth ( 1 Gbit Port )

99% Uptime Guarantee (backed by SLA)

DDoS Protection (via 3 different filter providers depending on location selected)

Load Balancing (support up to 150,000 requests per second without slowdown)

Akamai CDN w/ Delivery Domain (costs $3,500 one-time fee)

This would require a signed contract, minimum 6 month commitment, and would cost you US$1200 every 6 months, or $2400 a year

• akzakz Member

you are on a lowend site asking for sla and 100% uptime...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@GCat said:
    If you are looking still, we can offer:

SQL Server (Shared) :

16 GB RAM

4x512 GB SSD

Front-end:

120 GB Storage Space

Unmetered Bandwidth ( 1 Gbit Port )

99% Uptime Guarantee (backed by SLA)

DDoS Protection (via 3 different filter providers depending on location selected)

Load Balancing (support up to 150,000 requests per second without slowdown)

Akamai CDN w/ Delivery Domain (costs $3,500 one-time fee)

This would require a signed contract, minimum 6 month commitment, and would cost you US$1200 every 6 months, or $2400 a year

What is your website?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited July 2016

@MiteshGanatra said:

@vimalware said:
    Problem probably exists between HTTP connection and the hardware. -> your software stack needs tuning first.

We did every one of the tests and discovered they set the points of limits of their servers. We expanded the concurrent limits from apache yet did not fill in as there were impacts reason for server side.

No matter how much raw power you throw at it, there is no way around, except fixing shitty code and tuning / optimizing your stack, which seems to be the issue and the requirement in your case.