Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4TB-8TB of cheap storage for media I don't care about - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4TB-8TB of cheap storage for media I don't care about

13»

Comments

• al3xtal3xt Member

@xyz said:
    There are dodgy ways to get unlimited Google drive (search eBay for "Google Unlimited") which basically exploits Google's Apps Unlimited for education. Take note that the admin of the service (i.e. the person selling the account on eBay) has full access to your files, and being somewhat dodgy, Google may not approve of the service, but if you don't care about losing your data, then that's a choice.

urm, saying it's dodgy make the whole google unlimited education thing sound risky, people are selling/using it for a reason, because they trusted google to be reliable (in term of uptime and service availability) and yes, the admin of the service like you said have access to your files, 'access' as in they are only able to view type of file and filename being uploaded, but NOT able to actually open / read / access the actual content of the file. (unless they hard-reset your account and access them forcefully). If privacy is really a concern, everyone in here should not look for storage, be it amazon, time4vps, or whatever other alternative host being suggested, because the administrator of those service also had full access to your uploaded content anyway.... no? Go for local storage, get your own HDD and host it yourself in your backyard, and have full control over your own data.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2016

@Dormeo said:
    Backblaze b2 not fit this budget, 8000 GB * 0.005 usd = 400 usd, Google unlimited is much better and truly unlimited...

@dragon2611 said:
    Looked at backblaze B2?

But it will depend on how much you plan to retrieve each month.

Edit: Not sure what the speeds would be like so maybe not.

wtf? It's what they say - it's not like unlimited drives actually exist.

Same thing goes for this sh*tty pic, unlimited power is a dream.

• @doghouch - someone the size of google can just throw more drives at it so I'd imagine you'd have to be trying to upload a hell of a lot before they'd care.

We are talking about a company who has bots running around caching/crawling most of the internet after all...

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @lmnotran said:
    Do you guys know of any cheap colo providers? @dragon2611 @Sven

Nope as I'm in europe.

• @dragon2611 said:
    @doghouch - someone the size of google can just throw more drives at it so I'd imagine you'd have to be trying to upload a hell of a lot before they'd care.

We are talking about a company who has bots running around caching/crawling most of the internet after all...

They'd probably care if you uploaded 100tb

• @doghouch said:

I wonder if they would as compared to the total data they must deal with daily it's just a drop in the ocean.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @dragon2611 said:

@doghouch said:

I wonder if they would as compared to the total data they must deal with daily it's just a drop in the ocean.

True, but 100 terabytes is when they're losing $$$. That's not the point of "unlimited," it's just a marketing gimmick to tell users that you can upload "within reasonable limit."

• @doghouch

It largely depends, if it's just a few users doing it then they may be prepared to eat the loss on that particular account so they can continue claiming unlimited.

Now if lots of people started trying to store 100TB then yes I'd imagine they'd start to do something about it.

We also don't know what kind of De-duplication/storage optimization they may be doing in the background, so unless it's all encrypted unique data that 100TB might not actually be anything near 100TB of storage used.

Until someone can reference a case of a user getting kicked off for uploading to much or google clarifies their policy all we can do is guess.

Thanked by 1doghouch