Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4TB-8TB of cheap storage for media I don't care about - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4TB-8TB of cheap storage for media I don't care about

Comments

• Doesn't meet his requirements at all... 2TB when he asked for 4-8TB.

• BradBrad Member

@lmnotran said:
    To everyone suggesting an external drive, local storage isn't the issue. I already have a copy all the data locally. The issue is that my network upload speeds are atrocious and the files need to be remotely accessible.

So your upload is crap, but you want to upload 4-8TB of files?

• @Brad said:

@lmnotran said:
    To everyone suggesting an external drive, local storage isn't the issue. I already have a copy all the data locally. The issue is that my network upload speeds are atrocious and the files need to be remotely accessible.

He's looking to backup his existing Linux isos through private torrenting, I believe.

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2016

@raindog308 said:

lmnotran said: I'm looking for a cheap way to store media that I don't care about.

I use rm(1) for this purpose. If there is media I own that I don't care about, I use the rm(1) utility which stores it in an appropriate place for me. Very space-efficient, and best of all, free.

I'll start selling VPSes with / mounted to my google drive --> new gmail account each time a customer signs up --> profit on everything.

I can smell the oversoldiness from the summer host camp across the lake (ik Ik oversoldiness isn't a word)

• al3xtal3xt Member
    edited July 2016

whut? you guys still buying storage? if you need large / unlimited storage, google is your friend. I can provide unlimited google drive storage... at a fraction of price. let me know if you need more info, would be glad to help.

• @al3xt said:
    whut? you guys still buying storage? if you need large / unlimited storage, google is your friend. I can provide unlimited google drive storage... at a fraction of price. let me know if you need more info, would be glad to help.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

• al3xtal3xt Member

@EdgeWeb said:

@al3xt said:

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

but.. but.....but its really so good that people should just believe?
    Here is something you can refer to what im trying to say?
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/6034782

• al3xtal3xt Member

and its only $10/m for unlimited storage? store all your files.. but please no illegal stuff. let me know if any of you need more information.

• WebGuruWebGuru Member
    edited July 2016

@al3xt said:
    and its only $10/m for unlimited storage? store all your files.. but please no illegal stuff. let me know if any of you need more information.

That google page says:

Store as many files in Google Drive as they need, as well as unlimited Gmail messages and Google Photos. Users no longer need to pick and choose only the most valuable content, saving them time and worry.** (If you have 4 or fewer users in your organization, each user gets 1 TB of storage.)**

• ccaritaccarita Member
    edited July 2016

For unlimited storage at Google Apps Unlimited you must have at least 5 users in your account (i.e. USD 50 total)

• al3xtal3xt Member

@WebGuru said:

@al3xt said:

That google page says:

Store as many files in Google Drive as they need, as well as unlimited Gmail messages and Google Photos. Users no longer need to pick and choose only the most valuable content, saving them time and worry.** (If you have 4 or fewer users in your organization, each user gets 1 TB of storage.)**

True, thanks for pointing that out. And this account is with more than 10+ users, so everyone gets unlimited storage.

• @Brad said:

@lmnotran said:

I already have it mirrored on a co-located server but it's kind of getting expensive so I want to move to a cheaper server and have my box pulled.

• BradBrad Member

@lmnotran said:

@Brad said:

@lmnotran said:

I already have it mirrored on a co-located server but it's kind of getting expensive so I want to move to a cheaper server and have my box pulled.

Okay, my bad. I thought you had your files locally and wanted to upload them.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited July 2016

Looked at backblaze B2?

But it will depend on how much you plan to retrieve each month.

Edit: Not sure what the speeds would be like so maybe not.

• DormeoDormeo Member

Backblaze b2 not fit this budget, 8000 GB * 0.005 usd = 400 usd, Google unlimited is much better and truly unlimited...

@dragon2611 said:
    Looked at backblaze B2?

But it will depend on how much you plan to retrieve each month.

Edit: Not sure what the speeds would be like so maybe not.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Dormeo said: 8000 GB * 0.005 usd = 400 usd

Actually just 40 USD. But I'd say just getting a dedi for around the same price is still better.

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited July 2016

@rm_ said:

Dormeo said: 8000 GB * 0.005 usd = 400 usd

Actually just 40 USD. But I'd say just getting a dedi for around the same price is still better.

Just hope you never want your data back, because that will cost you 400 bux.

Anyway I'd just say get this OP https://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/bk-8t.xml it isn't quite gigabit for upload, but the download should be. And no setup fee currently either.

• @lmnotran said:
    Howdy all,

I'm looking for a cheap way to store media that I wouldn't be upset with losing. My only requirements are that the capacity is at least 4TB and that it is on a 1Gbps port.

Does anyone know of a service, VPS provider, or dedi provider that could do this for less than $40/m?

Why not delete the media? since you don't mind losing you might aswell keep the $40 bucks for something else :)

• 8TB of media

doesn't care about it

We could make a show about digital hoarders.

© grimsdottir 2016

Thanked by 1netomx
  • GCatGCat Member

Crashplan?

edited July 2016

GCat said: Crashplan?

Did you use it personally, or just throwing some random names you know about?

I tried, uploaded 2.5 TB, by the end it was using 100% CPU constantly, while uploading at 2 Mbit/second. Apparently the CPU load is because it tries to deduplicate each new data piece before uploading against every other piece you already have uploaded -- to save them some space.

• Why hasnt time4vps been mentioned more in this thread yet?

• +1 for time4vps

been using them for a few months ... been great! wish the storage boxes had a bit more resources or options to upgrade resources a bit so it performs faster ... but amazing none the less.

• SvenSven Member

Or just use your own NAS in a DC?
    I pay around 7€ to host a 8TB hdd in my own NAS.

• Low Power Co-lo'd server might be a good option, although OP said they do that and it's too expensive.

Maybe they just need to find a cheaper Co-lo facility, if they offer decent remote hands it doesn't really need to be that local.

• HybridHybrid Member

soyoustart ARM

• Do you guys know of any cheap colo providers? @dragon2611 @Sven

• xyzxyz Member

raindog308 said: I thought for a moment about Glacier...but...8192 GB * .007/GB/mo = $57/mo, plus hellacious network costs if you ever want to get it back. Ugh.

I believe @ALinuxNinja was referring to Amazon's cloud drive, not Glacier.

Apparently there's people storing 10's of TBs on the $60/m plan without issues.

There are dodgy ways to get unlimited Google drive (search eBay for "Google Unlimited") which basically exploits Google's Apps Unlimited for education. Take note that the admin of the service (i.e. the person selling the account on eBay) has full access to your files, and being somewhat dodgy, Google may not approve of the service, but if you don't care about losing your data, then that's a choice.

There's also HubiC (10TB for €50/y).

• SvenSven Member
    edited July 2016

@lmnotran said:
    Do you guys know of any cheap colo providers? @dragon2611 @Sven

Im using http://www.nbiserv.de/
    NAS hosting is not a official offer I think. I asked on WHT for it and he made me a good offer. You should send them a email.

xyz said: There's also HubiC (10TB for €50/y).

Hubic speeds are limited to around 10 Mbit right now, and the OP wanted

lmnotran said: a 1Gbps port.

Thanked by 1xyz