Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rage4 discontinues all prometeus/iwstack accounts - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rage4 discontinues all prometeus/iwstack accounts

13»

Comments

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited July 2016

I've setup my own PowerDNS hidden master server with DNSSEC support and all the funky shit like vanity NS, 1-second TTLs, SSHFP, TLSA comes for free. I'm AXFRing all zones to anycasted slaves provided by a professional DNS provider - obviously, not for free but still at a fraction of Rage4's new pricing scheme.
    Being a vi-guy I prefer the basic edit-zone feature in PowerDNS over Rage4's web UI and I'm even getting daily statistic emails.

The best thing? I finally found a use for one of my spare VPS'.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

pechspilz said: The best thing? I finally found a use for one of my spare VPS'.

Gotcha!

kendid said: I haven't received an email or can't seem to find any information on the upcoming cancellation of our free plans, is it in the works?

Which free plans are you referring to? We only occasionally charged people which used only rage4, all the other plans were free, but all are to cease functioning on the 1st of September. Rage4 terminated the agreement we had, so all "our" accounts will be terminated.

pechspilz said: and all the funky shit like vanity NS,

we already support that. However, geo, failover not yet.

• hi,
    if someone just need anycast DNS with DDoS Protection:

http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/services/managedservices/anycastdns

It's a free service for 1 domain with unlimited records :)

I hope it can help someone

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @matteob said:
    hi,
    if someone just need anycast DNS with DDoS Protection:

http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/services/managedservices/anycastdns

It's a free service for 1 domain with unlimited records :)

I hope it can help someone

If you could throw in some GeoDNS, that would be awesome :)

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited July 2016

@ALinuxNinja said:

GeoDNS is not avaiable, we prefer control geo trought CDN that we will launch officially monday but some customers are already using https://manage.seflow.it/index.php?/cart/cdn/

If you need geoDNS for non web service, sorry is not possible

• Anyone maintaining private key-value backups of their DNS records ?

What tools do you use once you get into 100s of records?

I want my next DNS move to be less painful.

• @vimalware said:
    Anyone maintaining private key-value backups of their DNS records ?

What tools do you use once you get into 100s of records?

I want my next DNS move to be less painful.

Clearly, I hadn't thought of something as simple as secondary NS-es. D'oh

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2016

i mainly use geodns or and latency based dns with Route53 as well as DNSMadeEasy and had a few domains on Rage4 for geodns. But moved my Rage4 domains over to DNSMadeEasy's new Constellix DNS with geodns and finer grain geo proximity based dns and it's definitely faster than Route53 for geodns and much more accurate in terms of geo dns routing it seems for me and can even do load balanced pools in geo proximity based records.

Constellix is still free for now just waiting to see what their final pricing is to decide if i should move my main domains from Route53 latency based dns to Constellix Geo Proximity based DNS :)

Rage4 new pricing would cost me 100€/month per zone x dozen of zones !!!!

• @eva2000 said:
    Constellix is still free for now just waiting to see what their final pricing is to decide if i should move my main domains from Route53 latency based dns to Constellix Geo Proximity based DNS :)

>

I just AXFR-ed to DME's trial.
    They let you try out 1xFailover and 1x GTD (Global traffic director/ geo-DNS?) in the trial package. (along with 3xZones)

DME = DnsMadeEasy

• @Jonchun said:

@mpkossen said:
    The new pricing isn't something I'd call competitive, especially considering the appalling web interface they have and the fact that their statistics seem way off compared to other providers (a considerable larger amount of hits compared to others).

No no the developer personally checked the code. The statistics are 100% accurate.

Last time a dev personally checked his/her/other code, vista was born

Thanked by 1Deathstarr
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

vimalware said: I just AXFR-ed to DME's trial.

They let you try out 1xFailover and 1x GTD (Global traffic director/ geo-DNS?) in the trial package. (along with 3xZones)

DME = DnsMadeEasy

i already have DME Business account for some domains :)

• filefile Member

@eva2000 said:
    i mainly use geodns or and latency based dns with Route53 as well as DNSMadeEasy and had a few domains on Rage4 for geodns. But moved my Rage4 domains over to DNSMadeEasy's new Constellix DNS with geodns and finer grain geo proximity based dns and it's definitely faster than Route53 for geodns and much more accurate in terms of geo dns routing it seems for me and can even do load balanced pools in geo proximity based records.

I have a feeling it's not going to end up in the low end category... but we'll see!

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

file said: I have a feeling it's not going to end up in the low end category... but we'll see!

Fingers crossed it is heh. Price is always relative if you want geodns based dns

For me my comparative cost right now is

• dme geodns = $660/domain per year x6 = $3,960/yr (too expensive so moved to route53)
    • route53 for current 6x geodns/latency based zones and dns requests = $12.50/month = $150/yr
    • rage4 geodns on new plan pricing = 6x100 euro = 600 euro/month = 7,200 euro/yr

last year i did ask dme what pricing range would be for constellix and they did say it's definitely going to be less than dme for geodns. So fingers crossed !

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • filefile Member

I'm sure it'll be less, but they can only do so much unless they want to cannibalize a portion of their existing business. Maybe they will shrug.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2016

Constellix's latest blog post mentions giving out 'promotional pricing to all beta members who join in ' next 15 days' (make that 10,just to be safe)

So, I'll decide between dnsME and Conatellix after 15 days.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @eva2000 said:

file said: I have a feeling it's not going to end up in the low end category... but we'll see!

Fingers crossed it is heh. Price is always relative if you want geodns based dns

For me my comparative cost right now is

• dme geodns = $660/domain per year x6 = $3,960/yr (too expensive so moved to route53)
    • route53 for current 6x geodns/latency based zones and dns requests = $12.50/month = $150/yr
    • rage4 geodns on new plan pricing = 6x100 euro = 600 euro/month = 7,200 euro/yr

last year i did ask dme what pricing range would be for constellix and they did say it's definitely going to be less than dme for geodns. So fingers crossed !

@eva2000, Are you sure about the route53 pricing? i.e., don't you have to add $50/mo for geodns because it considered by them a "Traffic Flow" policy record (see here: https://aws.amazon.com/route53/pricing/). This is what I am trying to understand.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2016

geekalot said: Are you sure about the route53 pricing? i.e., don't you have to add $50/mo for geodns because it considered by them a "Traffic Flow" policy record (see here: https://aws.amazon.com/route53/pricing/). This is what I am trying to understand.

Route53 Traffic Flow Policies are optional and you don't have to use them http://docs.aws.amazon.com/Route53/latest/DeveloperGuide/traffic-flow.html. I don't use them and been using Amazon Route53 geodns for past 12 months for centminmod.com :)

Using Traffic Flow to Route DNS Traffic

If you use multiple resources, such as web servers, in multiple locations, it can be a challenge to create resource record sets for a complex configuration that uses a combination of Amazon Route 53 routing policies—weighted, latency, failover, and geolocation. You can create resource record sets one at a time, but it's hard to keep track of the relationships among the resource record sets when you're reviewing the settings in a table in the console.

If you're using the Amazon Route 53 console, Amazon Route 53 traffic flow provides a visual editor that helps you create complex trees in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the effort. You can save the configuration as a traffic policy and then associate the traffic policy with one or more domain names (such as example.com) or subdomain names (such as www.example.com), in the same hosted zone or in multiple hosted zones. (You can only use traffic flow to create configurations for public hosted zones.) You can also use the visual editor to quickly find resources that you need to update and apply the updates to one or more DNS names such as www.example.com. In addition, you can roll back the updates if the new configuration isn't performing as you expected it to.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited July 2016

@eva2000 said:
    Route53 Traffic Flow Policies are optional and you don't have to use them http://docs.aws.amazon.com/Route53/latest/DeveloperGuide/traffic-flow.html. I don't use them and been using Amazon Route53 geodns for past 12 months for centminmod.com :)

OK, glad to get confirmation. Thanks!

Edit: Their pricing estimator/calculator also helped to clarify Route 53 expected costs: http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html (there is a tab for Route 53 on the left)

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited August 2016

Semi related topic, Rage4dns seems to discontinue charging based on number of queries instead opting for flat fee/months.

So.. anyone know any free alternatives with white label nameserver?

• Seems NSone has not been mentioned in this thread, they have a great free plan and you should be able to select one of their geo based filter chains on the free plan.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • filefile Member

Constellix pricing is now available at http://www.constellix.com/dns/pricing/ if anyone has not noticed. The pricing is rather granular to what you use, so it may or may not be inexpensive. Route53 seems to remain cheaper on the simple zones for pay-what-you-use.

Thanked by 2vimalware yomero
  • @file said:
    Constellix pricing is now available at http://www.constellix.com/dns/pricing/ if anyone has not noticed. The pricing is rather granular to what you use, so it may or may not be inexpensive. Route53 seems to remain cheaper on the simple zones for pay-what-you-use.

Pretty interesting. Are you using it already for something?

• filefile Member

Not presently. They came up in my brain and I thought I'd check to see if they released pricing. As they had and it had not yet been mentioned, I shared it here.