Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rage4 discontinues all prometeus/iwstack accounts - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rage4 discontinues all prometeus/iwstack accounts

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Shigawire - good point, 60 sec. is too high for failover, will change it to 30 sec.

@smile 93 - it's per zone

@pechspliz - yes, we do ;)

• @gbshouse: Now we're talking. Not sure if I will stay with a 10€/m package, to be honest.
    It nicely fits into my "magic failover cluster" and works pretty well. Will see how alternatives do perform.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

amazon route 53 ftw

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

linuxthefish said: with anycast

Clouvider said: will cost you dearly, more than Rage4 subscription

I can't help but feel you're vastly overdoing it (or thinking that you need to). Face it, you probably don't run a million dollar per day corporation, you don't need any ultra-optimized failover anycast, your site will be more than fine with just a couple of regular VPSes running nameservers at two different and good-reputation providers.

I was simply saying that you can't really compare a few VMs running DNS server to what Rage4 does. It's apples vs bananas.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

Personally I feel Rage4 is still pretty good value for money. Its not LE by any argument, but its not over-priced usually either.

I am not sure how I feel about some of the restrictions placed on the smaller plans for value for money, but at the end of the day they have to make ends meet. Running and maintaining an anycast network isnt cheap.

Looking at the 2 euro plan I cant help but think its probably good value for money, would you run a server on say 2-4 x $5-10/m VPSs for a few basic zones? or outsource it to a reliable company with redundancy, more features etc? I am guessing this covers the majority of zones.

The larger plans however look to be price for features, rather than price for size. With GeoDNS starting at 50 Euro thats a premium feature? It better be pretty good then IMHO at that cost. Amazons Route53 is probably significantly cheaper in that respect. And Amazons Latency Based Routing Queries are pretty neat. Of course if your zone is huge, Rage4 will be cheaper due to the structure of the plans.

In order for failover to be really useful the TTLs probably too high on the 10 euro plan, so 50 euro as well? Although it looks like Piotr might be adjusting that.

That being said it really isn't worth comparing to running your own system. For most people (and even most businesses) its more for less to use to Rage4 or a similar service. You have to factor in the cost of building it, redundancy, dealing with issues etc. Piotr runs a good product, and despite its occasional issues I still have more confidence in Rage4 than similar services by similar sized companies.

• Basic plan only allows 13 records only, 3 are already added default by rage4, you only can add 10 records for one zone. If you have 10 domains, then it will cost at least 20 per month. I think, in this case, no choice, I have to move out this time.

Rage4 is too premium for me now even its basic plan.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

SplitIce said: they have to make ends meet

Seems like not a wise move then, if most of their users jump ship due to lower-end plans being ridiculously limited. Heck, for me the entire reason to even bother with this thing in theory could be GeoDNS, and that now only starts from 50 EURO PER MONTH.

SplitIce said: would you run a server on say 2-4 x $5-10/m VPSs for a few basic zones

You have those VPSes anyway, doing whatever else you need them for, like dunno, serving your actual website. It's not like anyone is suggesting you get separate $5-10/month boxes just for DNS.

Thanked by 1aglodek

@rm_ - the price is exactly the same as for our old HT50 and it was our most popular plan

@smile93 - if you have > 5 zones I think we can offer you some extra discount.

• yomeroyomero Member

Probably already answered but, what will happen with the old free accounts?

We will get migrated? Or the accounts will be closed?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

Our accounts were not free, we paid them a certain amount for a certain number of accounts, about 10 times more than were actually in use. I think they did not like we offer them for free to our customers and decided to pull the plug.
    100% their decision, each company has own business plan, but, in my very personal opinion, it was not a good move.

Thanked by 3MikePT aglodek lazyt
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    Our accounts were not free, we paid them a certain amount for a certain number of accounts, about 10 times more than were actually in use. I think they did not like we offer them for free to our customers and decided to pull the plug.
    100% their decision, each company has own business plan, but, in my very personal opinion, it was not a good move.

You've got us great deals and I thank you for that :-)

It looks like I'm going to lose my free account, oopsy. Never tested rage4 tho... Just had the account itself.

• bobbybobby Member

MrGeneral said: Just had the account itself.

how much did you resell it for?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

So I wrote them a ticket:

I heard I'll lose my account by the 1st of September.
    What I currently use at yours would cost me 50€/m with the new plan.
    The prometeus plan would have been 12€/y.

Will you offer a different plan for me other than the 50€/m plan that is not reasoably above the old plan in price?

Regards

This was their response:

Hello

Unfortunately we are unable to offer price similar to Prometeus.

With regards
    Rage4 Support

@tr1cky - we are unable to match 12€/y for unlimited access to our platform. In our opinion new plans are well balanced.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@gbshouse said:
    @tr1cky - we are unable to match 12€/y for unlimited access to our platform. In our opinion new plans are well balanced.

Am I asking for unlimited?
    You could have looked into my account and could have seen my usage-pattern and then accordingly you could have offered me something, but if your only offer is 50€/m instead of 12€/y then I'll gladly choose Amazon where it will be ~5€/m instead.

Thanked by 2rm_ vimalware
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

The real question is: Would you rather make a small amount of money from the people who are now forced to switch to other providers if you keep this price-scheme for them or would you like to make no money from them because you don't offer them reasonable prices to what they paid before?

Thanked by 3paily vimalware lazyt
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@bobby said:

MrGeneral said: Just had the account itself.

how much did you resell it for?

Heh, who the fuck are you?

Thanked by 1Shigawire
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, As he said before, they have big Costumers, which where they likely get the most profit from and they bought flat packages.

So, they gonna have less revenue ya but still enought money to keep that thing runningz. I dont think they do care if you go with Amazon.

@tr1cky - PM me your zone name

• texteditortexteditor Member
    edited July 2016

i love that they made the modestly priced yearly plan have laughably bad specs.

13 records lmfao

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @texteditor said:
    13 records lmfao

And 1 zone only...

Other paid providers such as Route53 or Google Cloud DNS seem like better value.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

It breaks my heart we can no longer offer Rage4 and we will try to get a service with at least some of their features, one under our full control, but, in the meantime, the people which lost their zones due to api returning 0 zones on query, please open a ticket for IWStack credits as compensation.
    As with the downtime due to the move, this is not about money, but about letting down our customers, I feel bad for each and every one of them (except when they start threats and making unreasonable claims, like they lose millions because a budget product was down in the first place, let alone extended downtime).

• Hmm… well, seems like I saw the writing on the wall ;) Very happy I had moved all my zones from Rage4 to CloudFlare long ago.

• CloudFlare free works fine for small/medium sites but there is no DNS Failover option in CloudFlare so you have to manually do it or run a script to change your records if your site/server goes down.

• Sad move by Rage4 to be honest.

The new pricing isn't something I'd call competitive, especially considering the appalling web interface they have and the fact that their statistics seem way off compared to other providers (a considerable larger amount of hits compared to others).

It's a shame they're also getting Prometeus with this, while they seem to have been one of the early sponsors.

Thanked by 2aglodek geekalot
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

• @mpkossen said:
    The new pricing isn't something I'd call competitive, especially considering the appalling web interface they have and the fact that their statistics seem way off compared to other providers (a considerable larger amount of hits compared to others).

No no the developer personally checked the code. The statistics are 100% accurate.

• kendidkendid Veteran
    edited July 2016

@gbshouse Thanks for the past years of free service! I've just had a few personal domains and have been freeloading all this time, but really appreciate all the service you've provided! I haven't received an email or can't seem to find any information on the upcoming cancellation of our free plans, is it in the works?

On another topic -- where are the rest of you freeloaders moving to?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited July 2016

kendid said: On another topic -- where are the rest of you freeloaders moving to?

If you want something basic, use CloudFlare. Uptime and latency-wise one of the best DNS services.

If you want something that comes close to rage4 features (failover, geodns) try zilore.com.

Edit: I, personally, couldn't find a free alternative for my needs, so I moved to Amazon Route 53, paying ~4$/m there for what I need.