Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

aeroFS - Free Private File Syncing - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

aeroFS - Free Private File Syncing

2»

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi
    this is from the business page

The AeroFS Team Server provides a central sync location where all your team data will automatically be synced to.

I take that as there is a central server where you can handle your users and data?
    But this might be hosted by aeroFS? not possible to host on your own?

If invited, this raises another question

Everything you sync using AeroFS is private, and will only be shared with people you explicitly invite.

Will the person who sends the invite see/get access to all files from the people he/she invited?

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

@MikHo said: Will the person who sends the invite see/get access to all files from the people he/she invited?

No, they need to explicitely allow you to access their data.

• @MikHo said: I take that as there is a central server where you can handle your users and data?

But this might be hosted by aeroFS? not possible to host on your own?

Oh, I didn't actually check that, I am using the free edition which is like P2P sync, it is almost like automated rSync between your servers, with a nice gui and ability to share

@MikHo said: Will the person who sends the invite see/get access to all files from the people he/she invited?

I think you mixed up the invite to join AeroFS versus invite to share folders, those are 2 completely different invites :)

• Looks interesting, invite me plz, thx for all :).

• please invite me.

• aiuraiur Member

Want to get an invitation, thanks! :)

• Thanks for invite, took a quick test.

Pro

• P2P-sharing, transparent and efficient, no lagging my lousy upload-link
    • easy to get running (Linux GUI + CLI)
    • nice and responsive UIs (web+GUI)

Con

• deb-package wants to download too much stuff, use tgz-package instead
    • memory footprint: CLI-version takes 100Mb memory (java 1.6.0 32bit) and GUI almost 200Mb (java 1.6.0 64bit) when idling. Not problem workstations with 16Gb+ memory but running at minimal storage VPS or RPi is problematic.

Idea is very nice. I planned to run RPi as NAS within gigabit-LAN and have few storage servers "out there" to do backups and deliver content for mobiles/notebooks when outside LAN/Wifi. Originally planned to that with Owncloud, but that means a single server likely and backuping stuff across servers. One nice solutions would be Bittorrent Syncapp (currently alpha), which does same but with native apps.

• jpsjjpsj Member

Would really appreciate an invite to this :)

• Would really appreciate an invite to this :)

Just PM your email to get one ;)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Sorry to grave bump, but I just got an invite; this thing is fantastic. @Pertti has the right idea, and I'll think I'll do the same thing, but with some @fliphost VMs.

@Fliphost This is perfect for your storage services, about 200mb RAM usage.

• @RobertClarke do they immediately give you invites to share?

@davester Yes.

• I've been using this for quite some time and I love it so far. The team server hasn't given me much love, but other than that I've had no problems.

• vlaravlara Member

Can't wait to try this waiting on my invite if anyone can spare one I would greatly appreciate it.

@vlara PM me.

• I have tried this out way back when it was still in diapers, but I didn't have an actual use scenario for it so I never further explored it.

I could see myself using this if I could sync with a server to enable access to those files anywhere through a web interface or something similar. I am also missing a way to easily share files with people without them having to download the client. AFAIK, these features are not part of AeroFS and would require an external implementation.

A file manager web interface of some sorts would work I guess, but I'm not familiar with any particular ones. If anyone else has any ideas regarding the matter, I'd love to hear them.