Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSFarm shutting down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSFarm shutting down

Comments

• hyaohyao Member

@twheel: with an Amazon EC2 instance, the cost is basically:
    m1.small (1 VCPU, 1.7G Mem) +
    Storage +
    Bandwidth

Don't know if a m1.small instance is good enough for your requirements. The variable cost would be bandwidth, but since you provide shared hosting, it could get rather expensive; otherwise by going with Reserved Instances the total cost could be around $20 a month.

• That small instances are slow as HELL :(

• marcmmarcm Member

@twheel - Zerigo.com offers Cloud Services in Virginia.

• @marcm: All I know is what the email said: "Sadly interest in VPS Farm’s services has declined in recent years." I had noticed that he had stopped posting offers to WHT. Just speculating, but I think he had positioned himself as a cloud host instead of a VPS host and maybe people didn't move to cloud in the way he expected.

@hyao, @yomero: price sounds fine but slow as HELL doesn't.

• @marcm: Thanks, I'll check them out.

• hyaohyao Member

@twheel: "One EC2 Compute Unit provides the equivalent CPU capacity of a 1.0-1.2 GHz 2007 Opteron or 2007 Xeon processor."

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

• Thanks.

• marcmmarcm Member

@twheel After seeing this thread and making a couple of more or less sarcastic posts, in all seriousness I haven't found any info on the Internet about VPSFarm shutting down. Are you trying to spread FUD about VPSFarm or can you show us some proof?

• Small ec2

browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1680590

Even the micro instances are faster sometimes.
    Oh, the I/O on both is around 30MB/s

And I've tried several instances...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2013

raindog208 is a pale imitation of the mighty raindog308.

• @marcm: I assure you it's legit. I got the email from them 3/4. I've been in denial but I need to do something because it's shutting down 3/26.

@yomero: thanks.

• marcmmarcm Member

@twheel - Could you please post that email? Preferably in the OP section if you can still edit it. Thank you, it would be much appreciated.

• I have posted parts of the email already. I will ask Vinay if he's OK with me posting the whole thing.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2013

@twheel - Don't worry, I've already sent @Liam a message questioning this thread and the authenticity of the information in here. Unless I see something official I have a hard time believing it. I was joking earlier about the race to the bottom, however judging from their pricing they should be doing rather well.

• I emailed Vinay to see if it's OK. He may want to speak for himself.

• To be honest, I have a hard time believing it, too. It's always been so rock solid.

• marcmmarcm Member

@twheel - I will believe it when I see some real evidence of VPSFarm shutting down. Until then...

• He answered and said it was OK to post the email, so I edited the OP. He said he will be updating the main website soon.

• marcmmarcm Member

@twheel - Thank you. Well, I guess it is true. Please don't take it the wrong way, however given the level of competition in this business and how eager sometimes people get to smear one or the other company, I was a bit suspicious. I didn't mean any kind of disrespect by it of course. Again, thank you for posting the email you received from VPSFarm.

• No worries. I agree, it's hard to believe and it's surprising that it hasn't been discussed here already.

• Hmm. sad news.. he might have considered selling the whole company to some one than closing it..

• marcmmarcm Member

@praveen - Business must have slowed down, and in truth, I think that it did for everyone. The market is saturated at the moment.

• @raindog308 said: Holy crap! In the past, you paid $20 and they gave you a miserly 200GB. It was like that for years. Suddenly it's 2TB.

Shite! I just noticed. Looks pretty good :) Still they offer an insane low amount of memory for that money, but the bandwidth is finally up to par :)

• @marcm yes, you are right.. every one running behind most lower packages..

• To VPSFARM customers:
    We ( Janushost ) are located in the same facility ( Latisys - Ashburn, VA ) as VPSFARM and welcome the oppty to support VPSFARM customers/clients. We are willing to honor the credits/funds you've deposited with VPSFARM and support openvz and kvm. We are also willing to provide special pricing for VPSFARM customers that are looking to migrate. We provide soup to nuts support and have expertise in networking , linux and application support. Feel free to contact us directly to discuss!

Thanks,
    Tony
    [email protected]

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited March 2013

@janushost said: VPSFARM and welcome the oppty to support VPSFARM customers/clients

So basically you have a Godaddy domain hidden behind privatewhois and registered in July 2011 and does not have a proper online order system:

Please print out/save this order and contact sales at 703-209-2475 or Email [email protected]

And from your website, you only offer CentOS6 as the OS?

I am sorry but this does not work too well for a hosting company.

And of course, none of the prices you are offering is in LEB range, so no thanks.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@lzp said: @twheel: Ramnode has a 35% off coupon, or at the very least, 33% off. Did you account for that?

Chea!

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2013

so.... at vpsfarm $36/m gets you 2GB ram + 720GB transfer + 80GB disk, whereas at @janushost you get 2GB ram + 300GB transfer + 120GB disk at $109/m.

nope.jpg

Joined 12:28PM

• @zhuanyi - My apologies for the order system.
    We support any flavor of OS that is supported by KVM or OpenVZ. Most of our customers have custom and specific needs that go beyond just a simple vps. Feel free to give me a call and/or email directly and I'm sure you'll find our technical expertise is way beyond what you'll find on our website . We own/operate all our own gear and don't resell godaddy ( or any other hosting provider) . Yes the domain was purchased there but we could've purchased the domain anywhere. Feel free to email or call directly to discuss.

Thanks,
    Tony
    [email protected]

• @fly - we are offering special pricing for VPSFARM customers . Feel free to email your requirements to discuss.

Thanks,
    Tony
    [email protected]