Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSFarm shutting down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSFarm shutting down

twheeltwheel Member
edited March 2013 in General

This is my first post on LET. I've followed discussions off and on and been impressed with the depth of knowledge here. I have "regular" VPSs with LeaseWeb and VPSFarm and LEBs with Hostigation, BudgetVM (formerly RapidXen), QuickPacket, and HostinginCanada.

Recently I got an email from VPSFarm saying they were shutting down as of 3/26, so I need to move that VPS as soon as possible. It's a KVM VPS with 2 GB RAM and 80 GB disk in Ashburn VA. I would like something Xen or KVM-based in the Northern Virginia area, but I'm having trouble coming anywhere close to VPSFarm's pricing in that location. (I'm paying $0.03/hr, which is ~$22-$25/month.)

Vinay from VPSFarm recommended looking into Amazon AWS's Northern Virginia location. He said that "for static websites they can be very cheap (S3 + Route 53 + Cloud Front)" I tried Amazon's pricing calculator, but I found it terribly confusing.

The VPS that I need to move runs one magento, a couple drupal, several wordpress, and twenty or thirty straight php or html sites, plus postfix, spamassassin, and dovecot. It uses 100 - 200 GB BW per month. I need at least two IPv4 addresses but five would be better.

Can anyone tell me what I could expect to pay at Amazon? Or do you have recommendations for other providers? I have found several good offers in Atlanta: RamNode's 2048MB CVZ (it's OpenVZ, though); QuickPacket and WireSix's $39 dedicated offers here. I would love to find something in Northern VA, though.

Edit to add: Per request below and with Vinay's permission, I am posting the email here:

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: IMPORTANT: VPS FARM CLOSING ON 3/26/2013
Reply-To:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a VPS Farm customer.  Some of you have been with us
since the beginning in 2007.  Sadly interest in VPS Farm’s services has
declined in recent years and we need to make the difficult decision to stop
all services on March 26th, 2013.  We apologize for the very short notice.
 If we continue the service beyond March 26th, 2013, we would not have
enough funds to refund customers who have paid in advance.

For the short notice, we are offering free service until our last date.
 Any balance you have in your Cloud VPS accounts will be refunded by
PayPal.  The balance will not decrease since we have stopped our hourly
biller.  Please allow two weeks for refunds to be sent.  In the next three
weeks, you will need to find another hosting provider and migrate your data
and DNS record(s).  Please let us know if there is anything we can do in
order to assist you.

Regards,
--
Vinay Selvaraj
VPS Farm | http://www.vpsfarm.com
Follow us on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/vpsfarm

Comments

• @twheel said: Amazon?

200GB/month at amazon... is a ripoff
    Also, the CPU quotas are very constrained for the "smallest" servers.

I recommend you to look for Linode, which btw, they have increased their BW.

• We could do your requirements (2gb ram, 80gb disk, 1000gb transfer) on KVM for $23/month, in Buffalo NY. This isn't Virginia, of course.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

From the top of my head in Virginia, there's Bitcable, it's quite expensive but they used to do 50% deals every now and again.

• KMyersKMyers Member
    edited March 2013

Hello, contact us at http://BigBrainGlobal.com, our primary location is in Herndon, VA, we also use OnApp so you can get the same level of isolation as you do with your KVM setup. Just contact out Sales team with your requirements and we can work with you on pricing.

edited March 2013

@KMyers said: OnApp so you can get the same level of isolation as you do with your KVM setup

Doesn't OnApp support both KVM and Xen, so I take it you're using Xen? OnApp isn't comparable to KVM, one is a CP the other isn't.

• @yomero: Linode 2GB = $79.95/mo

@Jack: replied.

@Damian: Can you give me an IP to ping?

• @Infinity: Yeah, I don't think bitcable does the 50% off deals any more. At least, I haven't seen any for a year or more.

@KMyers: I actually ordered a VPS with you guys but you ended up refunding my money because you couldn't get it set up in Herndon.

• @twheel

If New Jersey could work for you (Choopa) we may be able to negotiate on pricing. Just give us a shout at [email protected]

I'm really surprised about VPSFarm, i actually had one of my first personal VPS boxes there.

• flyfly Member

vpsfarm :( they were good

• @GetKVM_Ash: email sent.

@fly: +1 Their network and uptime were (are, for a little while longer) excellent. Not LEB, but definitely a great value.

• @Infinity said: Doesn't OnApp support both KVM and Xen, so I take it you're using Xen? OnApp isn't comparable to KVM, one is a CP the other isn't.

OnApp supports both KVM and Xen, although there are some key advantages to OnApp vs Xen on SolusVM.

@twheel said: @KMyers: I actually ordered a VPS with you guys but you ended up refunding my money because you couldn't get it set up in Herndon.

Hello Twheel,
    There may have been a capacity issue in the past, we have since added more to our Farm. Although it is not fun, it is better for our customers if we reject orders rather the overloading our servers. Feel free to contact me with the previous order number and Ill look into it for you personally. You can email me at KMyers @ BigBrainGlobal.com rather then posting it pubicly.

• @KMyers: email sent.

• @twheel said: @KMyers: email sent.

Thanks, I got it. Let me contact a member of our Sales Team and I will get back with you directly

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yomero said: I recommend you to look for Linode, which btw, they have increased their BW.

Holy crap! In the past, you paid $20 and they gave you a miserly 200GB. It was like that for years. Suddenly it's 2TB.

• @twheel said: (I'm paying $0.03/hr, which is ~$22-$25/month

There is a good clue to why they are closing, it is not very sustainable. While there is profit at that price, there is no room for repair should trouble arise. If you can live in 50gb of space, I can do it for $30 and you already know the quality

• @twheel said: @Damian: Can you give me an IP to ping?

@KMyers said: OnApp supports both KVM and Xen, although there are some key advantages to OnApp vs Xen on SolusVM.

I never mentioned SolusVM, nor did I imply it. ;)

Just sayin' that you didn't mention Xen..

• @miTgiB: Not sure. I'd been with them since 2008, so it must have been at least somewhat sustainable. Their email said it had to do with lack of demand for their services.

This is for 30 shared hosting accounts @ 2GB disk space each so I'd need ~70 GB.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@twheel said: This is for 30 shared hosting accounts @ 2GB disk space each so I'd need ~70 GB.

Your accounts all use 100% of their space?

• @twheel said: This is for 30 shared hosting accounts @ 2GB disk space each so I'd need ~70 GB.

Are you hosting for clients with CPanel or something like that?

• @twheel said: This is for 30 shared hosting accounts @ 2GB disk space each so I'd need ~70 GB

What @raindog208 said. I agree shared hosting demand has fallen off a cliff, but learn to manage your disk space and overselling and you can go far.....

• AsimAsim Member

@Infinity said: there's Bitcable, it's quite expensive but they used to do 50% deals every now and again.

I do miss those

@miTgiB said: learn to manage your disk space and overselling and you can go far.....

I would second what @miTgiB mentioned above

• I'm hoping to avoid overselling at this point.

• @twheel said: Linode 2GB = $79.95/mo

Indeed
    I wasn't thinking in the memory... lol
    I choosed them because their "cloud" infraestructure.

DigitalOcean is at $20 for a 2GB one.... But I don't know if they have that kind of redundancy (and well, I don't know if VPSFarm had that xD ).

• marcmmarcm Member

@twheel - If you are deriving an income from your VPS then your first priority should be reliability and not price. If your web host is reliable then what's a few extra bucks?

As far as VPSFarm is concerned I am really heartbroken and saddened that such a great runner in the race to the bottom got there first - and so fast.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Is it just a matter of perception or have there been an excessive number of shut down announcements in the last 2 months?

• lzplzp Member

@twheel: Ramnode has a 35% off coupon, or at the very least, 33% off. Did you account for that?

• marcmmarcm Member

@jarland - This is what happens in the race to the bottom. Some get there first.

• @marcm: I don't agree that VPSFarm was racing to the bottom. They were around since 2007 and were very reliable with excellent performance. They were the best provider I've had in terms of uptime.

@yomero: Thanks, I'll check them out.

@Izp: Good point.

• marcmmarcm Member

@twheel said: @marcm: I don't agree that VPSFarm was racing to the bottom. They were around since 2007 and were very reliable with excellent performance. They were the best provider I've had in terms of uptime.

@twheel - Why do you think that they've shut down then?