Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm having to move again, and I'm in need of money - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm having to move again, and I'm in need of money

Comments

• @joepie91 said: What I'm taking issue with, is being treated as if I don't contribute anything to society for anyone.

In fact you steal programmer jobs, haha. But really, most stuff you make is aimed towards people who want to make money with it or already have plenty, like CVM..

• Aparently he's not.
    http://www.freelancer.com/u/joepie91.html

Why don't you just continue what you started?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@joepie91 said: Getting a job is not an option for me because it involves several compromises of what I stand for. Commercial motives and closed source are only a few of those reasons, and several of the reasons are inherently present in the concept of having a "job", no matter what kind of job.

But you write vb.net code...

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I was hovering on the Donate button for a good five minutes. I was going to send the price of a LEB your way, because I've seen some of your projects, they intrigue me, and you seem like a good person.
    But in the end, I didn't donate.
    Why? Because you've made a choice to not get a job. That is your choice. However, that means you will have very little money.
    We all work hard for our money, why should we give it away to somebody who just doesn't want to get a job?
    You don't need to get a programming/coding job making closed source proprietary software... just work at fast food place for a while! Or something!
    That said, hope you get your situation sorted!

• Sent €50 on your way. Hoping to see you figure things out soon, we need you online!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: I was hovering on the Donate button for a good five minutes. I was going to send the price of a LEB your way, because I've seen some of your projects, they intrigue me, and you seem like a good person.

But in the end, I didn't donate.
    Why? Because you've made a choice to not get a job. That is your choice. However, that means you will have very little money.
    We all work hard for our money, why should we give it away to somebody who just doesn't want to get a job?
    You don't need to get a programming/coding job making closed source proprietary software... just work at fast food place for a while! Or something!
    That said, hope you get your situation sorted!

@joepie91 said: Okay, I'm trying to be friendly here, but one thing in particular is really starting to bother me. This is aimed at those that try to raise the "we work for our money, so should you" argument (this is the attitude that more than one person appears to hold, and not just in this thread). Others that do not hold this stance, can ignore this because it doesn't apply to them.

Consider the two following options:

Do a lot of work, make it available to others, and force them to pay for it.

Do a lot of work, make it available to others, and give them the choice to pay for it.
    Can you honestly, genuinely, say that the first option is better for anyone besides myself, and approach me like some kind of 'parasite' because I pick the second option?

I can understand criticism towards someone that chooses not to do any work whatsoever. But acting offended because of someone doing the same amount of work, just not in the form of a paid 'job'? Really? How on earth can you justify that?

I don't think I really need to add anything here.

@raindog308 said: But you write vb.net code...

I haven't written vb.net code for a loooong time.

• Should of come up with a better story! I heard that claiming you were raided can bring in a lot of money!

• I enjoy my arguments/debates with you @joepie91, and I hope one day the VPS control panel becomes something I can use. I see many trying to justify donating, or not. Really I can debunk any view I have, so I sent €50, as I too wish to not "work" any traditional way, and have not since 1986 when I left the US Air Force. I'm not as principled about how I support myself, as I am determined to insure I have enough means to pay my own way. That seems to be the general theme being promoted by those unable to justify donating, but he is returning the efforts, but rarely directly. Human greed seems to be the only thing I see stopping anyone from donating, and those against donating may not view themselves as greedy, but on some level may be.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

So far He made a choice to work hard and give code.
    Now You are making a choice either to give or not some of Your hard worked money.

Many things have been said, some might have been advice, some might have been a bit jealousy, but there is no need to say anything more. Either do or don't.

• LeeLee Veteran

@miTgiB

You may right, but I am content with my Human Greed. It works for me, or am I not allowed to make my own choices?

• NickkNickk Member
    edited March 2013

@joepie91 said: The best I can do is minimize my own contributions to that kind of system.

Why do you accept paypal in that case? I'm not one of the trolls but I think that is a valid question.

• twaintwain Member
    edited March 2013

@Janevski said: there is no need to say anything more. Either do or don't.

this

• @joepie91, I sent you what I had spare for my next LEB, 10euros there for you buddy, get a toaster ;).

@spencer honestly how much of a sly attack was that?

I'd like to think that if I had a bad move or event /catastrophe some of the friends I've made on here would give me a hand with whatever. And wouldn't pull any shit jokes like Spencer did.

Good luck Joe pie, look for a euro hostel or something that students use I think it's called find a hostel or something will be really cheap and basic but suffiencent.

• @W1V_Lee said: I am content with my Human Greed. It works for me, or am I not allowed to make my own choices?

Is this a movie, and you are asking if greed is good? Yes, you are allowed to make your own choice, but is it an informed choice if you still cling to greed as a motive?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Nick said: Why do you accept paypal in that case? I'm not one of the trolls but I think that is a valid question.

Your usable choices when living in the Netherlands are basically Bitcoin, PayPal, PayPal, and PayPal. International bank wires are terribly expensive (and cumbersome for the sender, for that matter), and I can't really think of any other ways to receive donations that will talk to my Dutch bank account. I'm open to suggestions.

• @joepie91 said: Getting a job is not an option for me because it involves several compromises of what I stand for.

I know that feeling

@joepie91 said: and non-profit projects do.

But this, is starving

@shovenose said: You don't need to get a programming/coding job making closed source proprietary software... just work at fast food place for a while! Or something!

And he is right

• @joepie91 said: International bank wires are terribly expensive

Have you looked into SEPA payments? These should be possible in the entire Euro area, Suisse and some other countries with rather low fees.

Anyway isn't just living with parents or relatives an option?

• bobbybobby Member

Not flaming, but this is kinda provocative.

Most people contributing to OS have paying jobs to make it possible for them to contribute. Myself included, tho I don't advertise what I do.

eBegging like this will only get you some days/weeks/months, get something permanent, welfare perhaps?

@yomero said: And he is right

Indeed.

• FFFlipFFFlip Member
    edited March 2013

Meh.

• Why not move in with a relative, parent or similar if it truely is urgent? Not working would make sense if you had issues with physical handicaps, substance-abuse, mental issues or similar i suppose.

• After reading all of this I do have to agree with everybody: you aren't improving the world or being a better person by writing open source software that we don't really need and not paying your bills.

You should charge some money for your software, money needs to roll! If you can't make a good business model yourself you should just get yourself employed.

Oh no wait, you don't like working for people or being told what to do, well nobody likes that, seriously deal with it. Go freelance programming or develop paid software with a good business plan or just go work at your local McDonalds.

We can't pay your bills just because you hate working and because you make some random open source software...

• twaintwain Member
    edited March 2013

I see a lot of judgement here.... However, @joepie91 I think part of the problem here is that you explained your situation TOO much. People read your story and they think: "well hell, I've been through some tough shit myself, and I got myself through it, whatever it took, be it working at a gas station or convenience store or whatever." They think, sad story, but why not "do what you have to do to support yourself and your family." It's kind of the fabric of life on earth no?

This may have been better received with a one-liner "Hey all I need some help moving care to make a small donation?"

What I'm saying is, you certainly can understand where they are coming from can you not? That said, I don't think there is any need for anyone to keep barraging joepie with the "get a job" angle. He is simply having quite a hard time (it would seem), and is reaching out and asking for help. If you like him or connect with him or have some compassion for him or his situation, then donate, or don't. But talking down, judging, condescension, or sarcastic comments are what they are, unkind. And if you do this, you are (probably) unkind and uncompassionate (may not be a word).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

What we've got here is a quality developer who is asking for support for his lifestyle and his work. I'm all about telling people to "Get a job" but this guy has made it clear that he's passionate and standing by his convictions. I respect that. This isn't laziness. He is actively suffering for his convictions. He is capable, he works hard, and he makes this choice.

So Ryan and I have both set small numbers that we know we can be consistent with to give each month, and we've picked a project to donate more toward at milestones. It's partially selfish motivation on our end, and that's ok, I don't think he's asking that we all join him.

So get off your high horses and ask yourself this: Do you like any of his work? Would you like to see more of it? Can you spare some money to help a developer? Then do it.

• Really? Really? If you don't feel the need to donate, don't. Stop belittling a fellow human being because your morals/ideals are different.

• If you dedicated yourself to Neon you could get the donated $2.5k

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

I think this is simple:
    You either donate or not, that is your choice.
    In the world of software you have the following choices:
    1. Commercial ones, pay them in full or use promos, discounts.
    2. Nulled scripts, cracked apps, oses, etc.
    3. OS.

None of these are perfect, none are completely bad tho the shades of grey vary a lot.
    It is about choice, about who you are ultimately the way they work for you, because objectively the separation lines are more blurry than ever.
    About the personal choices of joepie, that is his business, this thread is not about his choices, is about:
    A: His work for community is useful or not;
    B: He deserves some compensation for it or not.
    Note that all contribution is voluntary, nobody is squeezing your hard earned cash out of your pocket. If your lifestyle cant be supported without being someone else's slave, hacking your way through and walking on corpses, fine, we dont say that is right or wrong, but you should also not preach it as the only way, it starts to sound like religion FFS.
    Life can be lived differently, without a fancy car, without a big house, without the energy hungry and dumbing down plasma TV screen, just to name a few things.
    But this is in no way shape or form the object of discussion in this thread, it is only about the A and B above.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Maounique said: If your lifestyle cant be supported without being someone else's slave, hacking your way through and walking on corpses, fine, we dont say that is right or wrong, but you should also not preach it as the only way, it starts to sound like religion FFS.

Totally agree, but it comes back around to

If your lifestyle can't be supported by accepting donations for the work you put out there clearly people are not willing to pay for you work, so don't come asking anyone else to pay your way.

• jevermeisterjevermeister Member
    edited March 2013

forget it, seems to be displayed incorrectly in chrome. sorry.

• @jevermeister said: if somebody has interest in seeing his freelancer profile before he edited it...

How exactly did he edit his profile? It looks exactly the same to me as in your screenshot (except for the German).

• @jevermeister said: if somebody has interest in seeing his freelancer profile before he edited it...

http://i.imgur.com/PC7EFD0.png

You have too much time on your hands either way.

This discussion has been closed.