Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry for Ripping sites - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sorry for Ripping sites

Comments

• @VMPort said: There is quite a difference between using something for private use and putting it on scriptmafia for the world to download.

As i said, i think its wrong and criminal to use someone elses work for profit (=putting it on scriptmafia)

• @gsrdgrdghd said: As i said, i think its wrong and criminal to use someone elses work for profit (=putting it on scriptmafia)

Something is not determined to be illegal or against the law based on if you make profit on it or not. That's completely absurd, as is the whole point you're trying to defend. So far from you we have it's either not a criminal offense because "I haven't seen" and now it's a criminal offense if it's "for profit."

You can not legally go in to a cinema, record the movie (copying), and walk out with it for your own personal use.

Basically @gsrdgrdghd you are continually making the point that if he hadn't put them up on Scriptmafia to make money from, and had of just shared them not-for-profit then you would be quite content with his actions and not deemed them illegal.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said: But just fyi, i have GPL'd everything i've coded so far so that everyone can use it.

As i said, i don't think its right to copy other peoples work for profit, but i don't think its stealing either.

For the record, GPL allows and encourages other people to sell copies of your code for their own profit.

• @KuJoe said: For the record, GPL allows and encourages other people to sell copies of your code for their own profit.

Um, i'll bite, @KuJoe can you explain how that's so? Because once code is released as GPL License you can't take that code from someone and remove the GPL from it. Genuinely interested how you came to that conclusion.

• I'm not reading all that rigtht now except to say.

Bullshit on the ban. We have some providers here who have a hel of a lot worse and flat out operate illegal (and have been proven to do so) and they're still around without any issue from @LowEndAdmin.

If we ban him, the rest need to go as well.

• @drmike said: If we ban him, the rest need to go as well.

Is that a bad thing? :D

• In a way I think he should get the ban for not originally owning up to what he did, And then excepting he did it after he realised that he wasn't making money.

But on the other hand, You boosted my alexa rank massively from all the traffic and my website base is originally a template.

That still does not justify what you did though.

• @Joel,

@KuJoe is right. GPL allows one to sell copy of code or related services as long as you comply with GPL.

For example, one can compile GCC on Windows and sell it for profit. However he needs to ensure that entire source used to compile that binary is also distributed under GPL.

• @Joel said: So @gsrdgrdghd, you have no issue if you spend 100+ hours building a website template and somebody just comes across and "copies" it.

Sorry but I don't think he actually ripped the coding, just the design. and I haven't seen them all but 100+ hours...come on

• String him up in the town square and rip his skin off.

• This whole thing is pretty hilarious. I feel like I am back in grade school after reading this thread.

• @rajprakash said: String him up in the town square and rip his skin off.

I always was a fan of those methods of the middle age. Simply much more passion.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nobody has said this, but this is clearly @drmike 's fault.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @netomx

It has been said in the other thread haha

damn, too late :(

• Piracy is something I'm in two minds over. Making money off of pirated material is inexcusable though. The guy's scum, and deserves to be banned.

• "I tried to steal but I got caught. I tried to lie my way out of it but I'm not a very good liar. I only did that because I wanted to earn lots of money. I'm sorry for doing that, but I'd do it again if there was any money in it."

I say we forgive him, he sounds like a good person.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@vedran said: I say we forgive him, he sounds like a good person.

It's hard for some companies to forgive as he has caused so much annoyance and distruption and most importantly wasted time. But I guess we all need to forgive one day or another.

Let's be a happy LET family :)

@vedran said: "I tried to steal but I got caught. I tried to lie my way out of it but I'm not a very good liar. I only did that because I wanted to earn lots of money. I'm sorry for doing that, but I'd do it again if there was any money in it."

Excellent description of the event. Just I will edit it to: I'm sorry for doing that, I didn't win money so I will never do it again. I will do it again if there's more money in between.

@xprotocept it is really funny this post, because you were defending yourself some days ago, nd everyone just kept giving you details of you. Next time, try to use different nicknames hahaha

• I just think people are getting a little too butthurt about getting their design ripped.

Especially VMPort, after using that ripped template of BuyVM + stolen image from another website. (thanks @drmike for bring that up btw). They definitely got that template from a site similar to what xprotocept was posting on.

• Derp..Derp.
    I think we should forgive andforget aslong as he removes them from the filehosters.
    idk what he was expecting from adf.ly or adcrunch, millionare over night proberly for a couple of ripped designs.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Joel said: Um, i'll bite, @KuJoe can you explain how that's so? Because once code is released as GPL License you can't take that code from someone and remove the GPL from it. Genuinely interested how you came to that conclusion.

biplab explained it a bit but my advice is go actually read the license you are releasing your code under. In their FAQ they specifically say that they encourage 3rd parties to make as much money off of other people's GPL projects as possible in order to spread the project around.

• LOL!

This thread is soooo funny.

'bann him, i don't want to see his nickname again' (??!!) 'copying is stealing it's bad' (maafia lover?) 'some company did lose a lot of money' (wtf it's the design, not the code, not the concept, not the VPSes he 'stole'!!) '100+ hours or work'.. (slow worker, should have copied more, would have been faster)

@Kairus said: Especially VMPort, after using that ripped template of BuyVM + stolen image from another website. (thanks @drmike for bring that up btw). They definitely got that template from a site similar to what xprotocept was posting on.

Wow, didn't know that. VMPort, who was crying because his design was available on script mafia did the same?

Anyway, who cares that this did end up on script mafia? If somebody like your design and want to copy it would just take a few minutes anyway...

@xprotocept: one site, one nickname, that's a basic...

Didn't read the whole discutions of the 'it's not me' thread few days ago, will see how far it has gone, sounds like good fun.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

Those ban requests are just... lol :)

Does he use LEB/LET community to advertise and sell those designs? No?
    Does any of those hosts belongs to LEA? No?
    How is his act against those hosts connected with LEB/LET anyway?

We're all LEB/LET guests just like this guy and afaik he didn't do any "crime" here, so why should be banned from here anyway? It's not like any of listed hosts have some bigger rights at LET than others to demand ban of someone from this community because he did something bad in his free time. Don't get me wrong I don't support ripping other people work however only common thing of both parties here is that both are registered in same talk community.
    All this is between host and this guy, LET/LEB have nothing to do with this and I see no reason to ban him from here.

• @KuJoe said: biplab explained it a bit but my advice is go actually read the license you are releasing your code under. In their FAQ they specifically say that they encourage 3rd parties to make as much money off of other people's GPL projects as possible in order to spread the project around.

An excerpt from GPL (Section 4)-

Conveying Verbatim Copies.

You may convey verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice; keep intact all notices stating that this License and any non-permissive terms added in accord with section 7 apply to the code; keep intact all notices of the absence of any warranty; and give all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge any price or no price for each copy that you convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee.

You can read the GPL terms and conditions here-
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

• xprotocept has obviously wandered off and had enough of this bashing.

vmport et al., why not give it a rest?

Someday --maybe, or maybe not -- you're gonna have kids of your own that do stupid things.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited December 2011

Hey i havent said anything for agess... And i already have a kid :)

• I just find this whole situation hilarious given VMPort's history w/ LEB.

• I'll say this, several people are yelling BAN HIM NOW!!!!!!! because he used LEB/LET to find sites to rip.

How will banning him help? He can still read it (easily), he can sign up with different info (easily), etc.

There's no reason to ban him. He messed up. He's admitted that. He's apologized. If those affected want some form of compensation, do that. I know VMPort already was going to invoice him. Don't ban him. Y'all act like you've never done anything stupid!

• @birdie25 said: Is that a bad thing? :D

No, but again @LowEndAdmin hasn't done it previously.