Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommended home router for 50 users - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

recommended home router for 50 users

2»

Comments

• baxobaxo Member

@pcan said:

JustAMacUser said: If one doesn't need 802.11ac, then the Airport Expresses are nice. Small, built-in power supply, etc. Though as you mentioned, management UI is pretty sucky.

The extreme also has a better antenna, the OP mentioned 200m2 so I believe the express would not be enough. I installed a pair of Airport Extreme at opposite ends of a 200-seat conference room and it works pretty well. The 5 GHz band is supported by most phones and helps a lot to increase the number of concurrent users, compared to 2.4 GHz.

apple is way off my budget :(

• @leaderkim said:
    Old pc + pfsense + Ubiquiti unifi uap (if you have more, get the the Long Range version) that should be enough.

Old PC will even cost more for power cost. Even though the performace is great.

Thanked by 2Maounique tux
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2016

I'd look at Ubiquiti Unifi APs and a router for that size of deployment. You could look at Edgerouters, but if you need anything that disables hardware offload like QoS, they're complete dogs.

• pcanpcan Member

baxo said: apple is way off my budget :(

The 802.11ac Extreme is about $100 on ebay (used), maybe less. There is a constant stream of used airport base stations on ebay, maybe because latest models needs a iPhone/iPad for configuration. If someone switches to Android, the Airport must go. I installed this access point because we have serveral Apple users and they complained about Wi-Fi instabilities on previous AP. If you don't need to support Apple devices, there are other options.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Issue is not wifi, issue is the routers ability to process the requests of 50 people. Home is a term for 5 or less people. 50 is in the top end of small business.

There is a reason things cost more, an edge router lite with your current WiFi device used as dedicated AP.

Or, as suggested by others. Run a software firewall on more powerful hardware.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • tommytommy Member

pbgben said: Or, as suggested by others. Run a software firewall on more powerful hardware.

he want to have everything under his budget, he live in his dream world.

• henkynlhenkynl Member
    edited June 2016

@NickMNXio said:
    Raise your budget! :) Juniper SRX (210/220H2) + Ubiquity wifi.

+1
    Exactly what I'm using at home. Very stable setup and a great way to learn Junos.

• @baxo said:

@Maounique said:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RB951G-WIRELESS-ROUTERBOARD-MIKROTIK-600-Mhz-128-MB-RAM-5-GIGABIT-ETHERNET-/201606948257?hash=item2ef0b5e5a1:g:z10AAOSwvg9XZmXM

That or similar should do. I have one and is clearly received in all building including outside. It is also heavy duty.
    @bersy said:
    +1 Mikrotik is a quite good option. I have been usign Xiaomi Mi WiFi Mini router (2.4G & 5G) at home, if your connection type is IPoE, it's also a good option in my book.

great suggestion, signal strength seems great with 1000mW. I will save this in one of the recommended list

@leaderkim said:
    Old pc + pfsense + Ubiquiti unifi uap (if you have more, get the the Long Range version) that should be enough.

It's a bit expensive for this router in my country and rarely sold. the signal strength is 500mW based on googling

Couple things firstly there will be a power limit you are allowed to use in your country if you go over this and get caught you could be in trouble

Secondly even if you do have a 1000mW or 500mW transmitter that's actually useless unless you also have the RX sensitivity on the antenna. Yeh you might be able to shout loud enough for the client to hear you miles away but it's totally useless if you cannot then hear the clients reply.

Thanked by 2vimalware Ole_Juul
  • Grab 3ap. Use different channels each ap.
    Each ap connect with ethernet.
    It's should enough for 50 device

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Keep the suggestions coming.

I'm reaching the point where a wired backbone router+APs is the way to go.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

We're running a pfSense box in the office. We've used a cheap little energy efficient server that we had laying around. Has 4 NIC's in it, and one of them is being used as port for the wireless part of our office (which is isolated from the LAN) using captive portal. We're using a Ubiquiti accesspoint for wireless - great little devices with great reception with just 100mW output power!
    This kind of setup is pretty much bullet proof, but it's unfortunately not plug and play - it'll require configuration. We've been using pfSense for at least 7 years now. For some reason I was (and still am) able to crash standard routers within just a few days, and where just a nightmare for me. I have very good experience with pfSense, so I can definitely recommend this software suite.

For decent wireless equipment I can recommend Ubiquiti equipment. I have a lot of good experience with it and it has never let me down. It's not as cheap as TP-Link, but the hardware quality (and design) is much better if you ask me.
    We're currently working on a project where a large office building gets wireless on 10 floors. Going to use Ubiquiti AP's for this with a pfSense backend. We're going to run these at the stock 100mW output power (legal limit in NL as well).

Increasing output power above 100mW is not going to make your connection much more stable. Better look for a device that has a decent and more efficient antenna. Most devices like smartphones, tablets, notebook are not able to transit at 100+mW any way. The weakest part of the wireless setup you'll have is most likely the client device.

• Tp-link rt480+

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

LiteServer said: We're running a pfSense box in the office. We've used a cheap little energy efficient server that we had laying around.

Yeah, a brazos or N2800 platform is almost free and does not use much more than 20 watt for such a task. You can install it in a flash card to save the hard disk power, for example. Great flexibility at the cost of more power used AND instability and higher hardware failure rate.

• Get ubiquity unifi AP or if you have more budget get AP AC LR or Pro.

• baxobaxo Member

i conclude that the option for me with tight budget will be:

• mikrotik RB951G/Ui
    • Xiaomi WiFi 3

thanks

• TP-Link Wireless Archer C9 ($99) should do the job.

• lol all you people saying he needs a unifi ap.

a 951G-2HnD will handle anything you throw at it.