Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommended home router for 50 users
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

recommended home router for 50 users

baxobaxo Member

Hi,

I need help on buying affordable home router that can handle 50 concurrent users below $100. i tried using TP Link WR-941ND with dd-wrt but the connection always stuck within a week and that was only around 10 users connecting. I even set daily auto reboot, but still no luck.

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

What signal range do you need / what wireless speeds do you require / what feature do you need?

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@neps said:
    "Home?" 50 users?

That's a big home. Or maybe it's home in a metaphorical sense. After all, the Earth is also our home.

Thanked by 2grimsdottir deadbeef
  • baxobaxo Member
    edited June 2016

@AlexanderM said:
    What signal range do you need / what wireless speeds do you require / what feature do you need?

BGN 150mbps with around 200m2 coverage is enough with 2.4GHz frequency

@neps said:
    "Home?" 50 users?

moslty wifi users using cell phone. commercial grade router will be expensive I think, but I'm open for suggestions.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RB951G-WIRELESS-ROUTERBOARD-MIKROTIK-600-Mhz-128-MB-RAM-5-GIGABIT-ETHERNET-/201606948257?hash=item2ef0b5e5a1:g:z10AAOSwvg9XZmXM

That or similar should do. I have one and is clearly received in all building including outside. It is also heavy duty.

• bersybersy Member
    edited June 2016

+1 Mikrotik is a quite good option. I have been usign Xiaomi Mi WiFi Mini router (2.4G & 5G) at home, if your connection type is IPoE, it's also a good option in my book.

• zezezeze Member

Old pc + pfsense + Ubiquiti unifi uap (if you have more, get the the Long Range version) that should be enough.

• baxobaxo Member

@Maounique said:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RB951G-WIRELESS-ROUTERBOARD-MIKROTIK-600-Mhz-128-MB-RAM-5-GIGABIT-ETHERNET-/201606948257?hash=item2ef0b5e5a1:g:z10AAOSwvg9XZmXM

That or similar should do. I have one and is clearly received in all building including outside. It is also heavy duty.
    @bersy said:
    +1 Mikrotik is a quite good option. I have been usign Xiaomi Mi WiFi Mini router (2.4G & 5G) at home, if your connection type is IPoE, it's also a good option in my book.

great suggestion, signal strength seems great with 1000mW. I will save this in one of the recommended list

@leaderkim said:
    Old pc + pfsense + Ubiquiti unifi uap (if you have more, get the the Long Range version) that should be enough.

It's a bit expensive for this router in my country and rarely sold. the signal strength is 500mW based on googling

• shellshell Member

+1 for mikrotik

how about use more than 1 access point

• SvenSven Member

Mikrotik hAP ac

• tommytommy Member

get 3 cheap router from asus, or if your prefer wifi extender.
    +1 for mikrotik

• baxobaxo Member

tried using 2 ap with one router but still jammed. I use cheaper router for extending network tenda fh303. the problem is in the main wireless router which seems can't handle many concurrent users having all active connections

• Mikrotik is great. +1 for them

• tommytommy Member

you need to raise your budget, if you cant then kick 40 people out from your 'home'

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BlazingServers said: After all, the Earth is also our home.

LET is our home. A globe-spanning wifi network for LET? I like the way you all think.

Thanked by 1Damian
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited June 2016

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite or EdgeRouter X

Decent router and fits perfectly in your budget.

• NickMNXioNickMNXio Member, Host Rep

Raise your budget! :) Juniper SRX (210/220H2) + Ubiquity wifi.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Ubiquiti edgerouter x + unifi ap ac lite

• baxobaxo Member

assuming ubiquity option is taken out, which other router is recommended?

@bersy mentioned Xiaomi and then I saw Xiaomi Mi Wifi 3 which can handle 126 device connections (128mb ddr ram and 580mhz CPU) almost like Mikrotik minus the great OS

• getting stuck is a sign of router. Usually due to not enough juice, grab a ubiquiti/mikrotik router. If you have RJ45 route all round the house consider pick up a mi or 2 and use them as AP instead.

• baxobaxo Member

@belinik said:
    getting stuck is a sign of router. Usually due to not enough juice, grab a ubiquiti/mikrotik router. If you have RJ45 route all round the house consider pick up a mi or 2 and use them as AP instead.

unfortunately it's not possible to extend with lan cable, the most possible way is through wireless extender connected to the main wireless router.

to add another AP as additional juice would be to add second main router and second wifi extender and it's a pain in my pocket. thefore, the main router needs to be juiced up

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited June 2016

if your 941 has the range of hitting everywhere just grab a mikrotik router/ubiquiti edge then... Probably the cheapest/most stable solution.

• VitaVita Member
    edited June 2016

https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-RB951Ui-2HnD-5-Port-Wireless-1000mW/dp/B00JO48OP6

Check this one. It has a long WiFi range because of 1000mW power.

• pcanpcan Member

Apple airport extreme (latest generation, 802.11ac) can be easily bought used for around $100 and supports more than 50 concurrent users. I once saw 68 users logged and active at once. The downside is the management interface: iPhone/Ipad or MacOS app. I opened one and the board inside looks like a Motorola/Symbol device. Apple stripped out the standard management interface and the enterprise features but the hardware is well built. The extreme has a better antenna system compared to the express.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:

+1 for edgerouter. Blows all others out of the water for nice ui and performance!

• Definitely Mikrotik! I'm using RB 951G-2HnD at home and RB850Gx2 for 35 users network. Both are simply awesome.

• @pcan said: Apple airport extreme [...]

If one doesn't need 802.11ac, then the Airport Expresses are nice. Small, built-in power supply, etc. Though as you mentioned, management UI is pretty sucky.

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said:

An ERL with a AP or two should work great. You can then build out the wireless/APs as needed.

I've never had any luck with wireless extenders, run 1 cable for another AP if it's critical.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

try any of these routers (see on the "Download" section), and use either tomato or advancedtomato firmware, both have rock solid performance.
    https://advancedtomato.com/downloads

• pcanpcan Member

JustAMacUser said: If one doesn't need 802.11ac, then the Airport Expresses are nice. Small, built-in power supply, etc. Though as you mentioned, management UI is pretty sucky.

The extreme also has a better antenna, the OP mentioned 200m2 so I believe the express would not be enough. I installed a pair of Airport Extreme at opposite ends of a 200-seat conference room and it works pretty well. The 5 GHz band is supported by most phones and helps a lot to increase the number of concurrent users, compared to 2.4 GHz.

Thanked by 1Safehousecloud